Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I talked to the manager, he's the one who told me they have no record of the deposit. But of course I do have proof. He's just stalling and we both know it.

A fraud claim filed with the RCMP ought to refresh his memory.
So he's saying that if you bought the truck, there would be no record of the deposit either? This guy is a piece of crap and needs a little schooling.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Buying at the dealer does mean no liens. Also in Alberta if my memory is correct the buyer has 10 days to change his mind about a contract sale without having to give a reason.
Those are industry rules that no one enforces, not written in law.

Their only intent seems to be to convince you dealers can be trusted when in fact they can not.

My best hope is in the fact I signed nothing, and my lawyer.
AMVIC and the police will do nothing.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
Never put a deposit on a vehicle at the dealership. Its a sales tactic saying they need one to "hold" the truck. Dealership vehicles are a dime a dozen.
When I bought my most recent one I told them I wanted it to be refundable and they just said forget about the deposit. More to finance, they don't care.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
So he's saying that if you bought the truck, there would be no record of the deposit either? This guy is a piece of crap and needs a little schooling.

If I bought the truck I'm sure his story would change and I'd be saddled with a truck with a lien on it.

My bank told me they had financed a truck that had a lien that had been paid off but not removed from the records. They say it took six months to clear it up.

Seems the lien had been paid off and they had a letter to prove it but the lender wouldn't do what he had to do to get it removed from the books.

It seems there is no law compelling them to remove it once it's paid off.

This is why I hate buying off people I don't know personally. The laws that are supposed to protect us have way too many holes in them, and industry rules are not enforced unless you have a iron clad case against the dealer.

Plus there are far too many crooks in the industry.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Gone Hunting

As far as I can tell ANVIC and APOS are twins.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 07:15 PM

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...iens.html#toc3
Looks like registered dealerships can’t sell a vehicle with a lien. Amvic is the link to make a complaint at the bottom.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 PM

They are registered.

https://portal.amvic.org/Pages/en_US...lerShipResults

File a complaint here:
https://www.amvic.org/consumer/complaint-process/
Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Couple other good reads:
https://www.amvic.org/consumer/your-...u-go-shopping/
https://www.amvic.org/consumer/your-...icingisthelaw/
Old 11-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...iens.html#toc3
Looks like registered dealerships can’t sell a vehicle with a lien. Amvic is the link to make a complaint at the bottom.
I talked to AMVIC, they are the ones that told me there is nothing they can do because there is nothing in law preventing this practice.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

There is a lot that is not stated on the government page you linked.

I had read it and noted these two lines.

Quote:
Before you buy a used car in a private sale or through a dealer, check that there isn’t a lien on the car.
Registered car dealers are legally required to make sure liens are removed from used cars.
Notice it does not say they can't sell a vehicle with a lien on it.

It also does not tell you that the dealer can not remove a lien from the record, only the lien holder can do that.

And it does not say when the dealer must pay off a lien. They did tell me though. They say he has 90 days after the sale is final to pay off the lien.

What protection is that! For up to 90 days you can be made to pay for that lien if the debtor so chooses, and you own a vehicle you can't register in your name.

Worse still, even if the lien is paid off you might not be able to register that vehicle in your name for an indefinite amount of time, if the lien holder drags his feet.

That doesn't sound like protection to me.

What it is, is smoke and mirrors.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I talked to AMVIC, they are the ones that told me there is nothing they can do because there is nothing in law preventing this practice.
Bizarre as they say the that it is a law and it is their responsibility to ensure it is followed for registered dealerships.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
There is a lot that is not stated on the government page you linked.

I had read it and noted these two lines.

Notice it does not say they can't sell a vehicle with a lien on it.

It also does not tell you that the dealer can not remove a lien from the record, only the lien holder can do that.

And it does not say when the dealer must pay off a lien. They did tell me though. They say he has 90 days after the sale is final to pay off the lien.

What protection is that! For up to 90 days you can be made to pay for that lien if the debtor so chooses, and you own a vehicle you can't register in your name.

Worse still, even if the lien is paid off you might not be able to register that vehicle in your name for an indefinite amount of time, if the lien holder drags his feet.

That doesn't sound like protection to me.

What it is, is smoke and mirrors.
Says they are required to have the lien removed before they can sell it. Only the person with lien can have it removed. Dealership shouldn’t sell it until they have confirmed it is gone. Dealerships are supposed to give you more protection than a private sale. Ironic that it’s opposite to that!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Says they are required to have the lien removed before they can sell it. Only the person with lien can have it removed. Dealership shouldn’t sell it until they have confirmed it is gone. Dealerships are supposed to give you more protection than a private sale. Ironic that it’s opposite to that!
It's typical government action. They claim to protect you when actually they protect industry and give us smoke and mirrors.

They have always come down hard on the little guy while letting the big offenders slip through hoop holes placed there for that very purpose.

Businesses like South Side Mitsubishi would not exist if the government really intended to protect consumers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
It's typical government action. They claim to protect you when actually they protect industry and give us smoke and mirrors.

They have always come down hard on the little guy while letting the big offenders slip through hoop holes placed there for that very purpose.

Businesses like South Side Mitsubishi would not exist if the government really intended to protect consumers.
Agree on that one. But sometimes you get lucky and talk to the right person who is willing to help! Maybe calling amvic again may get you some success with that. Make sure you rescind your offer based on the lien in writing. Good luck in your search for another vehicle!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Maybe somebody needs to email this joker (his email is on the website) and let him know his name and the dealerships name isnt worth mud anymore and that its been mentioned on a forum with 72000 members and that everyone knows how hes pulling off this garbage, not returning deposits and not removing liens etc. from vehicles. Typical slimey car dealer garbage.

Could also mention there are similar forums in Calgary should perhaps know to seeing as they are opening up a dealership there to.. Maybe somebody might post on them to.

Not sure the above is legal to do so just a suggestion. Could be construed as a threat??????????
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Maybe somebody needs to email this joker (his email is on the website) and let him know his name and the dealerships name isnt worth mud anymore and that its been mentioned on a forum with 72000 members and that everyone knows how hes pulling off this garbage, not returning deposits and not removing liens etc. from vehicles. Typical slimey car dealer garbage.

Could also mention there are similar forums in Calgary should perhaps know to seeing as they are opening up a dealership there to.. Maybe somebody might post on them to.

Not sure the above is legal to do so just a suggestion. Could be construed as a threat??????????
Funny you should say that. I emailed the president this morning and mentioned I read about how they are treating customers and that I think they should fix their mistake. He hasn’t replied so we will see if he does.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I'm not sure that would be such a good idea. It might result in him threatening to sue AO.

Even if it were only a threat it could cost the magazine a lot of money.

I wouldn't want to get AO in trouble over this. I'd rather forget the refund altogether. Call it an expensive lesson.

I have no doubt this $500.00 is nothing to what they will loose in lost sales if the keep it.

My immediate family consists of over 200 individuals that will never set foot on his property and another 500 plus more distant family members who know what I have encountered with this dealer. Plus friends of family, neighbors, and forum members. All of which now know that South Side Mitsubishi is to be avoided.

Word gets around, and these days it reaches far beyond one's immediate contacts.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 PM

No grounds to sue when they are the ones skirting the laws. Regardless hopefully they make it right and you are good to go. Going public with information isn’t breaking any laws. Or else google and amazon reviewers would be screwed. Lol
Old 11-19-2019, 10:32 PM

When I bought my truck there was some funny business before we settled on a final price. The wife was so mad she wrote 10-15 online reviews about the place. The BBB and one other apparently really caught the attention of the western regional manager that called me the next day and gave me the price I wanted as long as we removed the reviews from the websites.

Maybe give that a try, write one and submit to a bunch.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post
When I bought my truck there was some funny business before we settled on a final price. The wife was so mad she wrote 10-15 online reviews about the place. The BBB and one other apparently really caught the attention of the western regional manager that called me the next day and gave me the price I wanted as long as we removed the reviews from the websites.

Maybe give that a try, write one and submit to a bunch.
That sounds like something worth trying. I had considered it but right now my facebook account is suspended. It seems someone duplicated my page then posted a bunch of nasty pictures. Facebook thinks it was me so they suspended my account.

It's a new scam, they duplicate your page using your pictures, then try to get you banned and then disappear. Kind of a hit and run tactic.

My wife sent them a message explaining what had happened, they have not responded.
I do have a twitter account but have never used it and I'm not even sure I can remember my log in or password.

But I'm sure there are other options, I'll have to check into that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Yes bloody deposits, I have been down this road before. My wife and I were looking for a used crew cab chevrolet diesel.
We found one that we liked at a Red Deer dealer(Gary Moe)
Went in, gave a $1000.00 deposit, did the finance paperwork, this was on a Saturday, the truck was at there detail facility.
Phoned Monday afternoon, to ask when I could pick up my new truck.
I was told"the truck was sold" I replied "yes I know to me"
They told me no someone else had bought it , and had a deposit in before me?
I was ****ed, what do you mean someone else had a deposit before me?
Why the hell would I put a deposit on a truck and waste hours of my family's time doing finance paperwork on a truck that someone else was looking at and had a deposit on it???
Took a week of me threatening them with legal action to get my deposit back, they kept telling me they would get in another truck like the one I had wanted, but there options were either way out of my price range or junk!
I have never put a deposit on a truck since.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:

a few years ago if there was a lien from say BC the leinholder in bc had 45 days from the date of execution or signing of the loan to,file in AB

same in Alberta, 45 days for the bank to,file the lien and the protection gets backdated,

So crooks can take out a loan and sell the vehicle knowing problems later on, that is why I deal at a dealer or folks I can lean on a month later if necessary
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:

The dealer in Calgary is already open. They have been loosing upwards of 90k a month on failed sales tactics. If you really want to get there attention leave a review on Facebook or google. Excellent leverage when it comes to getting your deposit back
Old 11-24-2019, 08:17 PM

So Keg, did you get that deposit back?
Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock5849 View Post
So Keg, did you get that deposit back?
I did, thanks to AndrewM. His assistance was invaluable and greatly appreciated.
They had a cheque waiting for me when I stopped there on Saturday, and they were pleasant to deal with in the end.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-27-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I did, thanks to AndrewM. His assistance was invaluable and greatly appreciated.
They had a cheque waiting for me when I stopped there on Saturday, and they were pleasant to deal with in the end.
Good deal.

I was getting ready for a road trip

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Update.

I now have a 2009 Titan King cab parked in my driveway. It's all paid for, the paperwork is all done, it is road legal and all mine.
I didn't even need the bank for this one.

I must give a shout out to Dean2 for his assistance. He spent all Saturday driving me around the city, he even offered me a bed to sleep in.

AndrewM brokered a settlement with the dealer who tried to sell me a vehicle with a lien on it. Thank you so much Andrew.

I should add, the issue was not that they tried to sell it to me, they did nothing illegal. The lien was paid off. The issue was that it was still on the books and that meant my bank would not lend me a dime towards the purchase. A fact this particular dealer couldn't seem to understand.

I also bought some things from skidderman. That deal gets my highest rating. Not only was I very satisfied with the purchase, we had a great visit afterwards. So good in fact they sorta threw us out because we were tying up a table far longer then one reasonably should. LOL

Richard, I took that Slavia apart when I got home, ( a couple of hours ago ) The inner workings are pristine.

Richard also offered to drive me around the city but Dean had already agreed to do it.

Now, a bit more about my truck hunting adventure. After the first deal fell apart I set my search to start with a dealer with two King cabs on offer.
They had a 2011 and a 2009. I looked at the 2011 first. It didn't have a lot of miles on it but it was beat up. It looked like it had been used to haul boulders down rough gravel roads. I've never seen so much road rash or such a dented up box in all my life. Not even beater farm trucks are that bad.
The 2009 wasn't much better. It had a couple of large holes rusted right through the wheal wells into the box that someone had cover with roofing tar. Both had badly damaged drivers seats and many other issues.

The next couple of trucks just weren't what I was looking for. Short box crew cabs, in nice shape but totally unsuitable for hauling a slide in camper.

Then we stopped at Lakewood Chev. This truck had no sign of ever being on gravel, there was no gravel damage anywhere on or under it. It looked like it had never had anything in the box. The paint inside the reciever hitch wasn't even scratched. There was not a trace of rust anywhere. And it ran perfectly.
The carfax report looked great, it had no liens on it, it even had most of the options I wanted.

Of course being an older truck it does have some imperfections. It has a small dent below the passenger door and a couple of hard to see dimples in the body work. It also has a tonneau cover, something I might find very handy and something I've never had. It also has a Parrot 3200 LS which as I understand it is one of those pink toenail devices that your cell phone communicates with in order to make your life miserable.

I liked the dealership.
The staff were friendly and low pressure through the whole process, they even sent me home with a dealer plate for the weekend.

I believe I found a winner with this one, and with this dealer. I couldn't be happier.

I met some great AO members and hope one or more will become life long friends. I got the reloading press to Calgary, had a great visit with my sister in Wetaskiwn, got to go bird watching with my friend and made it home safe and sound with my new (er) wheals.

For me, Christmas came early this year.

Thank you Rob for this site and thank you Edmonton for being the best city in Canada.
Most of all, thank you AO members, you guys rock!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 PM

Excellent. Even the pellet gun thing worked out. It was all meant to be...minus the original truck roll
Old 11-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Default Deposit

Denham Ford in Wetaskiwin would not return my deposit.
I filed a claim at Small Claims Court and shortly after serving them they returned my deposit.
If you you have a problem you can not resolve with anyone use Small Claims Court.
Costs you $100 plus corporate searches at any registry and you act on your own behalf.
Just tell your story first to a mediator and then if need be to a judge.
Ceiling at Small Claims Court has been raised to $50,000.