Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Not really. A plug for a cheaper plug is a better deal no matter how you look at it.
Except our plug is scoring goals putting up points a leader in the dressing and has a more cap friendly contract!

BW
Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Except our plug is scoring goals putting up points a leader in the dressing and has a more cap friendly contract!

BW
And a contract that can be bought out
Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
All the sophistry about how it was getting the cap space so they could sign Tkuchuk...
PSA for today :

soph·ist·ry
/ˈsäfəstrē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
"trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
a fallacious argument.
plural noun: sophistries

You're Welcome
Old 11-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Not really. A plug for a cheaper plug is a better deal no matter how you look at it.

Or...Neal is the better of the two and cheaper to unload. Flames fans still don't get the buyout numbers? Lucic is going to be on the Flames expansion protected list as well unless he waves his NMC. That's a good young player waving goodbye and a 2 goal pylon still on the payroll.

750k per, a 3rd rounder, and an easier buyout that represents a savings for 13 goals vs........0?? You take that every day. Especially when it makes next to zero $$ sense to buy the other guy out.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Neal wasn't scoring 13 goals on the Flames this year and ownership wasn't buying him out. Like I said, a plug for a cheaper plug.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Neal wasn't scoring 13 goals on the Flames this year and ownership wasn't buying him out. Like I said, a plug for a cheaper plug.
Uh does Calgary have any other "plugs" that the Oil "might" be interested..like let's say Johnny Hockey?? Cuz, he's been lighting it up lately??
Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Uh does Calgary have any other "plugs" that the Oil "might" be interested..like let's say Johnny Hockey?? Cuz, he's been lighting it up lately??
Let’s trade Jesse Pulujarvie for Johnny hockey. A cheap plug for an expensive plug. Anyone on the flames wagon wanna make this trade.

A plug for a plug.

BW
Old 11-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Yup, Lucic, try to keep up.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

If you look at the Phlegms roster, there are many plugs to choose from.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Cheaper until you want to "unplug" him and until then he's simply a non contributor.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Flames 2019/20 thread (With a new arena!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or...Neal is the better of the two and cheaper to unload. Flames fans still don't get the buyout numbers? Lucic is going to be on the Flames expansion protected list as well unless he waves his NMC. That's a good young player waving goodbye and a 2 goal pylon still on the payroll.

750k per, a 3rd rounder, and an easier buyout that represents a savings for 13 goals vs........0?? You take that every day. Especially when it makes next to zero $$ sense to buy the other guy out.

BINGO!

Trochu, the flames saved 1/2 million in cap space in the deal.....

Do you honestly think your cheap plug was a good move, knowing what’s coming down the pipe with the expansion draft and how Lucic contract actually works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
BINGO!

Trochu, the flames saved 1/2 million in cap space in the deal.....

Do you honestly think your cheap plug was a good move, knowing what’s coming down the pipe with the expansion draft and how Lucic contract actually works?
From a winning perspective, of course not.

Do you honestly think Neal would have scored more than 5-10 goals playing for the Flames this year?

I know how much they saved in cap space. I didn't say anything about the cap space, I said he's cheaper. Sometimes as fans, we forget that it's just a game and the owners end game is to make money.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM

saved the owners close too 19M in actual cash due to the structure and bonuses paid out in cash. the cap savings as said 1/2mm.
Quote:
From a winning perspective, of course not.

Do you honestly think Neal would have scored more than 5-10 goals playing for the Flames this year?

I know how much they saved in cap space. I didn't say anything about the cap space, I said he's cheaper. Sometimes as fans, we forget that it's just a game and the owners end game is to make money.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Should change this tread title to, Milan Lucic / James Neal chat. No matter what get put out there it always comes back to Looch..

So FLAMES play St. Louis tonight, ha the games don't get easier. Players coming up from the farm due to injuries. I didn't see the game the other night but sounded like a better effort, other than the typical take a period off we like to do. Lets hope we can pull out a full 60 minutes, and find the back of the net.
Johnny and the top line are gripping them sticks super tight. Time to turn this thing around, as running out of time fast. Not hitting the panic button yet but the cover is lifted.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default Soilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
If you look at the Phlegms roster, there are many plugs to choose from.
Keep enjoying the good times Soiler fans. After the Soilers set a record for futility and plain lousy ness the last 13 yrs (12 of them anyway) you deserve to sit back and enjoy since the Soilers rottenness will be in the record books for a long time.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Banned

28 years of futility. 4 rounds won in the playoffs in 28 years. That may be the worst in the league for teams that have been in the league since then.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Should change this tread title to, Milan Lucic / James Neal chat. No matter what get put out there it always comes back to Looch..
Meh, Oilers fans haven't had anything to brag about for over a decade, they can have this one, James Neal is performing for them

he wasn't going to be performing for us, he still would have been a plug, I am glad he is gone and don't regret the trade at all, but based on numbers and performance it would appear that this was a great trade for the Oilers.

That said I still think it was a good trade for the flames, my guess is there was probably a conversation with Lucic before the trade was made and there is probably a gentleman's agreement that he will waive his no movement clause for Seattle. There was 2 benefits for Calgary in this trade.

1) improved toughness- intimidation etc, although you won't really know how much this helps until the playoffs.(if the team doesn't pick it up soon, we may never actually get to evaluate this part, Playoff hockey is different then regular season and that is when Lucic should help this team the most)

2) saving the cap space. The 500,000 that Edmonton retained in Salary is what allowed the flames to sign Tkachuk without having to trade anyone away.

you always want to trade to improve your team, I am sure there were teams out there willing to take Frolik or Brodie, but the flames were in a position that other teams were looking for them to sweeten the pot, which would not have made those trades worth it.

Now other GM's can't hold Tre over the fire as he doesn't have to move anyone, all made possible by the trade.

He may be over the fire again due to the teams unexpected terrible play over the first quarter of the season, but he still doesn't have to make a trade from a position of weakness if he doesn't want to.

Had he not moved out the 500k he would have HAD to move someone and throw in a pot sweetner/draft pick.

Hopefully the flames turn it around soon, there would be nothing better then the Flames/Oilers meeting in the playoffs.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Keep enjoying the good times Soiler fans. After the Soilers set a record for futility and plain lousy ness the last 13 yrs (12 of them anyway) you deserve to sit back and enjoy since the Soilers rottenness will be in the record books for a long time.
And what have the Shames accomplished in the past 13 years? How many times have you got to the second round in the past 13 years?

BW
Old 11-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
And what have the Shames accomplished in the past 13 years? How many times have you got to the second round in the past 13 years?

BW

Really? What have they accomplished since they joined the league?
Old 11-21-2019, 05:51 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Really? What have they accomplished since they joined the league?
LOL. So true. I cup and two trips to the Stanley Cup finals.

BW
Old 11-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
LOL. So true. I cup and two trips to the Stanley Cup finals.

BW
To be fair, oilers have been in the league 7 days longer.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:20 PM

Our Goalie Ritich standing on his head first 7 minutes of the game.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:40 PM
Banned

Woohoo Cassie Campbell. Was watching the Bruins, but was falling asleep.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Banned

Ok.. Something has to change...

Enough of this.

Has Peters lost the room? I wouldn't think so but something is wrong here.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:17 PM

How many time has it happened this season, where we have tones of pressure in other teams end, only for puck to bounce over a stick and it's a breakaway, or an odd man rush and they score. We have no puck luck right now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
How many time has it happened this season, where we have tones of pressure in other teams end, only for puck to bounce over a stick and it's a breakaway, or an odd man rush and they score. We have no puck luck right now.

They were saying the teams shooting percentage is 3% over the last 7 games or some such.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

They used up a decades worth of puck luck last season.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Yea....
them blues r sure scared of that new toughness.

Railroad hit.
Then score on ya.
Looch better kill someone or this whole show is a ha ha.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Banned

On the bright side, Sportsnet has to do some digging but they found a positive category that the phlegms are leading in. Rittich saves.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Yea....
them blues r sure scared of that new toughness.

Railroad hit.
Then score on ya.
Looch better kill someone or this whole show is a ha ha.
He’s too busy shooting on net.(had 6 last game)... brought shooting percentage down to 3% single handedly in one game!