Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 11:50 AM

Question Wall Tent Lighting?

Just wondering what you folks do for lighting up your wall tents?

I have the standard Coleman lantern to hang from the ridge and headlamps etc. Just find that it's still pretty gloomy inside with long hours of darkness. If I run a generator I have some nice LED strip lights that do a nice job, but for non-power areas I've started to think about maybe this sort of a system.

https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories...7165=332277166

You can charge up a battery bank and then daisy chain several LED lights which I think would last for quite a while and then charge up the battery bank with the truck (or they come with a solar kit)

Anyhow, just curious as to what solutions some of you folks use.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

I just use the gas lantern and headlights. Most the guys I hunt with are pretty dam ugly( smell bad too) so I find it's enough light.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I just use the gas lantern and headlights. Most the guys I hunt with are pretty dam ugly( smell bad too) so I find it's enough light.
Good point!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:04 PM

Try placing your lantern on a table in the center of the tent. Hanging the lantern up high leaves a dead space directly under it. If the lantern is about waist high the light will spread much better.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-29-2019, 01:13 PM

A couple of RV batteries with a converter and a couple of LED (40watt=2watt bulbs I think) bulbs on a string along the top frame rail, lights the tent for the full 8-9 days in November and September. Most of the time it is 1 bulb inside and 1 outside.1 inside makes lots of light. It is not usually an issue earlier in September. 1 battery last the week in September. We have a small genset tagged along just incase.
With the batteries it can be inside the tent and controlled without getting out in the dark as the last one. This setup does not take much extra room to pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tent pic.jpg (37.1 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg tent pic 2.jpg (59.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 10-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

I use an LED lantern. Darn thing goes about a week on a set of batteries and gives off more light then the gas lanterns ever did.

No fuel to spill, no mantle to break, no tank to pump up. What's not to like!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
A couple of RV batteries with a converter and a couple of LED (40watt=2watt bulbs I think) bulbs on a string along the top frame rail, lights the tent for the full 8-9 days in November and September. Most of the time it is 1 bulb inside and 1 outside.1 inside makes lots of light. It is not usually an issue earlier in September. 1 battery last the week in September. We have a small genset tagged along just incase.
With the batteries it can be inside the tent and controlled without getting out in the dark as the last one. This setup does not take much extra room to pack.

Nice! That has so much potential!

I don't use a tent much any more. Mostly just in warm weather and for overnight trips so the lantern is good enough for me, but if I were to tent in colder weather and for longer periods your setup would be the way to go.

I also use the lantern as a night light on our ocean boat. It does that more then camping and it's perfect for the job.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 PM

I agree. The LED lanterns are incredible and pose little risk of fire etc.
The way to go.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Large Coleman lantern with 2 mantels will throw lots of light. We also used propane lantern. I use 2 mantel propane in trapping cabin, lasts 2 years on 20lb bottle, I can read my AO magazine even with my old eyes.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Here is updated pictures from last week.

Temp ranges from -27 to -6 in the 7 days. The last night I needed to put a second battery in the tent. My inverter beeped every two minutes as a warning, but it did produce light still, I just could not take the beeping and didn't need to.
Once the tent is warm, the battery stays warm. We run 2 lights, one inside and 1 outside from 6ish to midnight every night.
A 40 watt LED light bulb inside and out. The string in the tent has a pigtail for a second bulb inside if required. These 40 watt LED's are only approx. 3-4 watt so not a lot of power draw and very bright.

Pro's:
Works well, Quiet, clean, not a lot of room required to pack cords, battery and inverter, light switch beside the cot to turn off at night and on in the morning.

Cons: Should have a second battery depending on length of time staying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tent 3.jpg (64.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg tent 2.jpg (20.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg tent outside.jpg (28.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg light inside.jpg (33.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
Here is updated pictures from last week.

Temp ranges from -27 to -6 in the 7 days. The last night I needed to put a second battery in the tent. My inverter beeped every two minutes as a warning, but it did produce light still, I just could not take the beeping and didn't need to.
Once the tent is warm, the battery stays warm. We run 2 lights, one inside and 1 outside from 6ish to midnight every night.
A 40 watt LED light bulb inside and out. The string in the tent has a pigtail for a second bulb inside if required. These 40 watt LED's are only approx. 3-4 watt so not a lot of power draw and very bright.

Pro's:
Works well, Quiet, clean, not a lot of room required to pack cords, battery and inverter, light switch beside the cot to turn off at night and on in the morning.

Cons: Should have a second battery depending on length of time staying.
Nice set up. A small 40 watt solar panel would eliminate your need for a second battery. I run one on my ice fishing shack that charges 2 12v batts and they stay topped up all winter. Would take up less space and weight than the second battery too.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 AM

I run one dual mantle propane lantern in my tent - and yes, it does seem gloomy on a lower setting. When I want more light:

*turn it up high and deal with more propane consumption and noise
*add a second propane lantern (more light, more heat too - which can be good or bad)
*I use aluminum bubblewrap insulation lining on my wall tent walls which reflect light back and make the tent brighter and warmer
*Headlamps (although you end up getting blinded and blinding everyone else)
*A candle on the table - helps with a bit of light, and after a few days in camp a fresh scent is appreciated
*I carry a small LED lantern which charges on a built-in solar panel or via USB. Its bright but the light is harsh and cold temps impact its longevity

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Along the inside bridge pole, I run a string of 3 12 volt rv lights with led bulbs and connect to a 12 volt deep cycle battery. To string them together, I just used an old extension cord. I also put a light switch in the power cord to make it easy to shut off while in the cot. The battery, I keep out the back of the tent. Rv lights at princess auto. Normal 120 volt light switch.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:21 PM

We use something similar as above. Rocket Reg made up a string of 12v LED lights that he got off of Alibaba and run it off a deep cycle battery that is maintained with a solar panel. It gives off a bright cool white light and no roar of a Coleman lantern.

Tags
wall tent lighting