Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Tire question

Daughter has a 16 Rav 4 with P225 65R17 rubber in it. I have access to free P245 75 R 17 rubber. Will it fit the rim and SUV ?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Yes.

They will fit the rim.

I'm not familiar with the RAV4 so don't know for sure about them working well with that vehicle. There could be clearance issues. But most likely not.

There is a 1 1/2" height difference and a 1 inch width difference.
The 245/75 is larger.
Your speedometer will read about 10 percent lower then it should but other then that there ought to be no issues.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yes.

They will fit the rim.

I'm not familiar with the RAV4 so don't know for sure about them working well with that vehicle. There could be clearance issues. But most likely not.

There is a 1 1/2" height difference and a 1 inch width difference.
The 245/75 is larger.
Your speedometer will read about 10 percent lower then it should but other then that there ought to be no issues.
Thanks Keg, put it in real perspective.

My Daughters Sante Fe AWD is a similar vehicle, when it is slushy winter driving and the snow and ice build up in the wheel wells it becomes an issue already. I am not sure adding a 1.5" tire would be beneficial or more of a hindrance. That is what I would consider in this situation. A truck and bigger SUV this would not be an issue, but this little SUV that 1.5 may? JMO
Old 10-31-2019, 09:53 AM

Remember that the 1.5” difference in height is only 3/4” in radius so you are only taking 3/4” more clearance.

Not familiar with the vehicle personally but if the rubber is decent and FREE I’d throw them on and try it.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Remember the speedometer would be out 10% or so as well.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:00 AM

Shouldn't be much of an issue fitting, but unless you're looking at a massive savings, I'd go with whatever the OE size is. Toyota could give her a hard time with warranty repairs if the car has the wrong size tires.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM

As well as the speedometer issue, and the potential clearance issues, the tires will be heavier and will change the drive ratio, which could effect the driveability on a small 4 cylinder vehicle.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:46 AM

Default This is a handy tool

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 10-31-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Remember that the 1.5” difference in height is only 3/4” in radius so you are only taking 3/4” more clearance.

Not familiar with the vehicle personally but if the rubber is decent and FREE I’d throw them on and try it.
Correct, My bad, oops
Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM

Exclamation Software issue when changing tire sizes

Here is a list of the OEM tire sizes that were available on the 2016 Rav4:
Quote:
2016 Toyota RAV4 Tire Sizes

2016 Toyota RAV4 LE. 225/65R17.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited. 235/55R18.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid. 235/55R18.
2016 Toyota RAV4 SE. 235/55R18.
2016 Toyota RAV4 XLE. 235/55R18.
2016 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid. 225/65R17. Toyota.
You can check these tire sizes against overall diameter of the 245/75/17. Since there is no 245 listed, you will have to verify clearance in the wheel well due too the extra width.
If there is a match, there will be a factory software setting available to correct the speedometer/odometer/wheel speed sensor settings for your vehicle. If not, you will likely have to buy an aftermarket programmer to set the new parameters. Otherwise, you will discover that the dreaded CEL applies to more than just engine issues on these newer vehicles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEL.jpg (28.0 KB, 33 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Ok so my son has 2006 chev trailblazer. Factory tire size on door is P245/65/R17. He can get for free a set of P255 /75RR17. Any issues other than speedo being out ?
Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 PM
AO Sponsor

That is far too tall for a rav4. You are talking serious 4 size jump in diameter and 2 sizes in width. Guarantee it will rub like crazy and be virtually undriveable.

Same for the fellow with the trailblazer. It is not as big a jump as the Rav4 but it still is going to cause fitment issues.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-18-2019, 09:19 PM

Not for the Rav 4 . It's for the Trailblazed.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Ok so my son has 2006 chev trailblazer. Factory tire size on door is P245/65/R17. He can get for free a set of P255 /75RR17. Any issues other than speedo being out ?
Sorry... I meant this specific set up is also too big to fit properly.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As well as the speedometer issue, and the potential clearance issues, the tires will be heavier and will change the drive ratio, which could effect the driveability on a small 4 cylinder vehicle.
Yup, slightly reduced acceleration due to the taller and heavier tire, as well as slightly reduced braking and less fuel economy.

Look up the tire weight for the factory tire and compare to the factory weight of the over-sized ones you’re considering and then consider that the bulk of that extra weight is mostly at the outside perimeter of the tire, with all of the physics that entails.

With a huge difference on the RAV4 suggestion, I’d bet there would likely be chassis or suspension rubbing issues at full steering lock.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:09 AM

If Tirebob says it is a bad idea I would believe him. He does this everyday for a living and he has always posted excellent, balanced, information and advice here on AO.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:35 AM
AO Sponsor

People have a tendency to look at the gap between the top of the tire and the fender and assume they have lots of room vertically but they forget that the tire is just as big across horizontally and decreases the clearances for steering geometry and run into issues rubbing that way before up and down in the fender, and those types of rubs tend to be the tire cutters. Most cars and small SUV's can handle a bump up in one size increment of height and maybe width, but when you are bumping a couple or more increments up you are bound to have issues. It isn't quite the same thing with full sized trucks and SUV's as they usually have more room to play, but even those nowadays are not always as flexible as they used to be.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
People have a tendency to look at the gap between the top of the tire and the fender and assume they have lots of room vertically but they forget that the tire is just as big across horizontally and decreases the clearances for steering geometry and run into issues rubbing that way before up and down in the fender, and those types of rubs tend to be the tire cutters. Most cars and small SUV's can handle a bump up in one size increment of height and maybe width, but when you are bumping a couple or more increments up you are bound to have issues. It isn't quite the same thing with full sized trucks and SUV's as they usually have more room to play, but even those nowadays are not always as flexible as they used to be.
X2 This