Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Default open water rats

when i pest trapped rats in trout ponds and golf course water ways i mounted galvanized garbage can lids on a 36 inch by 1\2 inch black pipe the lid is at 3o inches and the lip faces up the short end or top , used 9 wire to fasten a pig tail on top to hold the bait . We used parsnip, carrot ,tuft of grass with a shot of anise etc. Drill hole and wire 3 number 1 1\2 long spring traps chain rings under lid ,coils are good too if they will drown the rat you can wire a big bolt on for weight if needed . At the site push rig into mud close to shore the lid is underwater a inch, scoop up mud and fill lid , space and bed traps in mud set the rig upwind if possible . The rats know their pond they will see or smell the bait and come to check it out , they bump the lid and climb up and its over, in the morning if the bait is almost gone it means there are 3 under the lid and more left to catch . I can honestly say this setup is really lethal and easy to do 5 minutes in and out , hip waders and 5 gallon cans to pack rats and its all good
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Default muskrat

if anybody has a few muskrat that are frozen and in the Calgary area the body`s only I would take a few to eat I like the little guy`s in a roasting pan thank`s to all and keep trapping.. craig ; 403 285 2934 please leave a message

Last edited by deerdrop; 04-04-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Dakota, let me pull some traps tonight and I will give you some if you want it that bad. How many are you thinking? Yuck!!
Thanks a bunch for those Muskrats!! My buddy is just pumped. They are being prepped, and will make a fine dinner tomorrow.

D