Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Taxidermy skins

Here is the deal...
I am starting to learn taxidermy and want to get some mammals for life size mounts.
As I understand it, I cannot purchase raw pelts. I can however either have an animal gifted to me or purchase a skin that is tanned.
Is this correct? If so, is there somewhere or someone that may have a skin or animal that I can legally get my hands on?
I am not interested in doing something sketchy! I want to do this lawfully and I am asking this stuff so that I can make the best choices to keep myself out of trouble.
Anyone here have any experience in this?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM

What do you want Daryl? I can give you a muskrat this year if you want. Next year i can get you a weasel for sure and Mink possibly. Also I can get you a coyote and you could do a head mount on it. How about a beaver this spring?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
What do you want Daryl? I can give you a muskrat this year if you want. Next year i can get you a weasel for sure and Mink possibly. Also I can get you a coyote and you could do a head mount on it. How about a beaver this spring?
Have to get together soon for lunch or something. Give this some serious discussion!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Tell me what you want and I will try and save you something. I should be hitting the rats and beavers this spring as soon as it warms up some. Got 30+ rats already and will be shooting for 100+ if as soon as I find a few more spots
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM

I have a few silver fox that i had tanned to do mounts or rugs what do you think willing to pay for these can email pic if interested one had tip of tail fall off but still have it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Furs

If your looking to buy some animals so you can practice skinning and mounting you can get a fur buyers license from fish & wildlife for $100. This way you will cover your butt and will not have any problems down the road. I believe this is how most taxidermist do it
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Good to know. Thanks!