Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Default muskrat trapping

so I started trapping muskrats last year and learnt from trial and error on what works and what doesn't. I made some floats and built some colony traps and was just wondering what are the techniques that you use or the sets that work the best for you. I have streams and ponds to trap in. just a newbie trying to learn from more experienced trappers!!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

They are a very curious animal with very poor eyesight. I used to put a sheet of white paper on a stick and stick it behind the trap. For some reason they have to come and investigate it and bang their yours.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Default Carrots or apples

I have been trying to trap rats for three weeks and the ice just thaws for 10-20 feet from the edge and then over night it freezes 1-2 inches. Today Russell and me got five nice rats and if the weather stays we should have that or more tomorrow
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM

I quit over a week ago but might try some beaver this next week and see if I can grab a few more rats. I got over 70 of them in 2 weeks and was amazed at how many are around. I like to trap them under the ice. I used Cattail roots or apples or patato on a 110 conibear just under the ice and it worked on quite a few. Also set up some drowning sets with 1.5 and 1 longspring in their feeder mounds. Use a long chain on the trap. That way they have lots of line to drown properly. You can also add weights to the trap as well. I also like to put 110's in their runs or in the feeder mounds. I just bought a dozen more 110's at Halfords the other day. They have some used ones there that I saw for $5 a piece if your looking for more traps.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage21 View Post
so I started trapping muskrats last year and learnt from trial and error on what works and what doesn't. I made some floats and built some colony traps and was just wondering what are the techniques that you use or the sets that work the best for you. I have streams and ponds to trap in. just a newbie trying to learn from more experienced trappers!!

If you haven't seen it yet this thread has some good information on Muskrat trapping, and I do believe there are other threads worth looking over.

A Muskrats Life.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=173497

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

caught the first one of the season on a float with a couple no.1 footholds in a drainage ditch on the edge of a field! what a bute!!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Just kicking the rat trapping into high gear...was up until 3am last night night putting up Rats and Beavers Started with drowner sets in houses, feeders and push ups (once the snow melted a bit). #1 Newhouse and Victors with wire attached for extra length. I will add weights next year, running about 50% drowning rate on the #1's. Trapping was tough, lots of snow. Now transitioning between culvert trapping and house trapping. Numbers are really starting to pile up. Once the rats start to disperse (1st week or so of ice out), I will take a few days off work and hammer them hard. Using 8" and 6" plunger colony traps (round ones), and 5" square colony traps. Rats are still beautiful, though the males are starting to show some signs of fighting (1 in 5 with a bite mark now). Good luck, Rat trapping is a blast, keep in mind to only put out enough sets so that you can handle the amount of fur (green bellies suck).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rats April 2013.jpg (77.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by The Spruce; 04-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM

I used to do a lot of rat trapping with my father in Manitoba, but have not done it in years. Now with a son of my own, I'd like to start up again and get him out to the fields with me. Ill have to dig out all the traps and stretchers again, kind of exciting to be getting back into it! Does anyone know of some fur buyers in the Airdrie, Calgary, Carstairs, Olds area?