Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default I bought one

I walked into WSS and an hour later I walked out with a new rifle. It has plastic on it. It's a 223 It has plastic on itIt's a Weatherby It has plastic on it Coyotes beware
Old 12-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Nice!! But, Does it have plastic on it????.......ken
Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 PM

lets see your new setup. even if its made from pressed grocerie bags.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

It would be disappointing. I don't have the mounts, rings or scope on it. Blued synthetic Vanguard.
I know there are lots of people that don't like wholesale. But I have had good luck with them and their service. Been going there since the 90's and through their recent move.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...rod104061.html
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Wholesale's improved dramatically in the last few years IMO...the whole "take a number" thing notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
It would be disappointing. I don't have the mounts, rings or scope on it. Blued synthetic Vanguard.
I know there are lots of people that don't like wholesale. But I have had good luck with them and their service. Been going there since the 90's and through their recent move.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...rod104061.html
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't say a weatherby has plastic on it. Them tikka hater Weatherby lovers might start comparing the two. Hope it shoots good for ya. And wouldn't worry about the plastic. If it shoots good and you take care of it it will last a long time. I still would have got a tikka though. lol Let us know how it shoots.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Shhhhhhhhh! Don't say a weatherby has plastic on it. Them tikka hater Weatherby lovers might start comparing the two. Hope it shoots good for ya. And wouldn't worry about the plastic. If it shoots good and you take care of it it will last a long time. I still would have got a tikka though. lol Let us know how it shoots.
My other gun is a real Weatherby. This one is just for fun. (cheaper to shoot).
The Tikka is priced 50% higher then the Vanguard. Doesn't make sense to buy a Tikka.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
My other gun is a real Weatherby. This one is just for fun. (cheaper to shoot).
The Tikka is priced 50% higher then the Vanguard. Doesn't make sense to buy a Tikka.
Like i said, Let us know how it groups. And i love the REAL WEATHERBY statement. You weatherby guys are all the same. Pay for name, Get all the fame.lol Should be weatherbys new line for selling Real Weatherbys. Anyhow hope its a shooter. And it makes a lot of sense to buy a tikka there 50% cheaper than your Real Weatherbys And shoot as good or better. lol
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
My other gun is a real Weatherby.
Do you mean that you own one of the original guns that was actually made by Weatherby,rather than a gun that wears the Weatherby name,but that was built by a contractor,like both the Vanguards and Mark Vs were?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I walked into WSS and an hour later I walked out with a new rifle. It has plastic on it. It's a 223 It has plastic on itIt's a Weatherby It has plastic on it Coyotes beware
So what if it has plastic on it? Boyds or Richards Microfit can easily fix that.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Like i said, Let us know how it groups. And i love the REAL WEATHERBY statement. You weatherby guys are all the same. Pay for name, Get all the fame.lol Should be weatherbys new line for selling Real Weatherbys. Anyhow hope its a shooter. And it makes a lot of sense to buy a tikka there 50% cheaper than your Real Weatherbys And shoot as good or better. lol
"Weatherby guys". Good one. My real weatherby didn't cost me a cent. But it does have a lot more value to me then any other gun in the world.
Tikka's probably do shoot better, but they fall apart. But we've been through that already.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
"Weatherby guys". Good one. My real weatherby didn't cost me a cent. But it does have a lot more value to me then any other gun in the world.
Tikka's probably do shoot better, but they fall apart. But we've been through that already.
Well i'm glad you love your guns. I hope they shoot true for ya and don't fall apart for years to come. My tikka shoots awsome and seems tough enough for me and my hunting. I'm sure if you google weatherby problems you would see that all makes and names have problems. The one thing you do hear a lot is tikkas are shooters and the guys who own them love them. Just like the guys who own weatherbys love them. Good day.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
My real weatherby didn't cost me a cent
You still haven't told us which "Real Weatherby" you own,or who built it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You still haven't told us which "Real Weatherby" you own,or who built it.
I was under the assumption that if it wasn't a vanguard it WAS a real weatherby. But if you want to know the age my dad says my grandfather bought it in the mid sixty's. He didn't know whether it was brand new or used when he bought it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I was under the assumption that if it wasn't a vanguard it WAS a real weatherby. But if you want to know the age my dad says my grandfather bought it in the mid sixty's. He didn't know whether it was brand new or used when he bought it.
Does it have a Sako action or an FN action?
Got PICS?
I would love to see them, as that era of Weatherby is a very good rifle !
Cat
Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I was under the assumption that if it wasn't a vanguard it WAS a real weatherby.
Both the Vanguard and Mark V were built by contractors,so neither was actually made by Weatherby.

Weatherby did make rifles on FN actions as well as some others before the Mark V and Vanguard were introduced.I would consider those rifles to be "real weatherbys".
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM

No plastic on my sub moa.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

I love to see the mention of FN in these theads as the "real rifles". FN for those not in the know is Fabrique Nationale, located in Herstall, Belgium. The country where I was born. My father was a tool and die maker there as a youngster. He actually build some of the lathes used to make a lot of these fine firearms that we now enjoy. And yes, FN did build there own machine tools such as lathes, milling machines and line borers. Funny on how such a company in a tiny country which barely occupies a miniature portion of Alberta has had such an impact on fine firearms and weapons of war. FN now owns both Browning and Winchester.....who woulda thung, Harley Davidson next?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I love to see the mention of FN in these theads as the "real rifles". FN for those not in the know is Fabrique Nationale, located in Herstall, Belgium. The country where I was born. My father was a tool and die maker there as a youngster. He actually build some of the lathes used to make a lot of these fine firearms that we now enjoy. And yes, FN did build there own machine tools such as lathes, milling machines and line borers. Funny on how such a company in a tiny country which barely occupies a miniature portion of Alberta has had such an impact on fine firearms and weapons of war. FN now owns both Browning and Winchester.....who woulda thung, Harley Davidson next?
Yup, Oliver Winchester's WORST mistake was not giving Mr. Browning the royalties he requested for the A5 shotgun - he walked , with a card from the salesman he met in the waiting room at the Winchester office.
The salesman worked for Fabrique Nationale , and the rest is history!
Crap, I think EVERY gun company made a version of the A5 - EXCEPT Winchester of course!
Up until that time he designed EVERY Winchester lever action rifle, the low wall and high wall,and the '87 and '97 shotguns IIRC from my reading of Gun Digest.
Bad mistake - HUGE......
Cat
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Both the Vanguard and Mark V were built by contractors,so neither was actually made by Weatherby.

Weatherby did make rifles on FN actions as well as some others before the Mark V and Vanguard were introduced.I would consider those rifles to be "real weatherbys".
The Mark V action was developed by Weatherby in the 50's with the first working sample made in 1957. Production of the action has been done in various machine shops over the last 50+ years. Any Mark V rifle is most certainly a real Weatherby.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Any Mark V rifle is most certainly a real Weatherby.
Since Weatherby doesn't actually manufacture firearms, any gun that is sold under the Weatherby name is now a "real Weatherby".
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Since Weatherby doesn't actually manufacture firearms, any gun that is sold under the Weatherby name is now a "real Weatherby".
Unfortunately Roy is no longer around to run the lathe. I doubt his son Ed has enough time to do them all either - probably a good business move to enlist some help.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately Roy is no longer around to run the lathe. I doubt his son Ed has enough time to do them all either - probably a good business move to enlist some help.
Weatherby has had contractors build their rifles since they introduced the Vanguard and Mark V.They have been made in Japan,Germany and by at least two U.S. contractors.How many Mark v rifles do you suppose Roy or Ed actually built themselves?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bad mistake - HUGE......Cat
As huge as Armalite selling the AR-15 patent/rights to Colt industries in 1963 or 62.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Weatherby has had contractors build their rifles since they introduced the Vanguard and Mark V.They have been made in Japan,Germany and by at least two U.S. contractors.How many Mark v rifles do you suppose Roy or Ed actually built themselves?
I'm not sure but I do know that the Mark V action was developed by Roy Weatherby - hence the name.

Lots of companies contract manufacturing out, big deal. I have not noticed a difference in function or performance in the Mark V's I own that were made in different machine shops and countries.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure but I do know that the Mark V action was developed by Roy Weatherby - hence the name.
The Vanguard,some shotguns,and a rimfire also carry the Weatherby name,making them "Real Weatherby" guns as well.

Quote:
Lots of companies contract manufacturing out, big deal. I have not noticed a difference in function or performance in the Mark V's I own that were made in different machine shops and countries.
Very true,my favorite shotgun is the Citori which is built by contractors for Browning.My point is that since all Weatherby guns are built by contractors,the term "real Weatherby" really has no merit.If it carries the Weatherby name,it is a Weatherby,end of story..
Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The Vanguard,some shotguns,and a rimfire also carry the Weatherby name,making them "Real Weatherby" guns as well.

Very true,my favorite shotgun is the Citori which is built by contractors for Browning.My point is that since all Weatherby guns are built by contractors,the term "real Weatherby" really has no merit.If it carries the Weatherby name,it is a Weatherby,end of story..
Fair enough.

When you posted this:

Quote:

I was under the impression that you considered the guns that he had made in the 40's and early 50's on various actions by various manufactures to be "real Weatherbys" but you did not consider guns he had made since then on the action he designed to be “real Weatherbys”. I apologize if I misinterpreted your comments.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that you considered the guns that he had made in the 40's and early 50's on various actions by various manufactures to be "real Weatherbys" but you did not consider guns he had MADE since then on the action he designed to be “real Weatherbys”. I apologize if I misinterpreted your comments.

The Vanguard and Mark V were manufactured by contractors,so neither Roy nor the Weatherby Company actually MADE those rifles.

The earlier,pre Vanguard/Mark V rifles were actually made by Weatherby.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Chet and Elkhunter11,

You guys should meet at the bike racks after school to settle this once and for all.........haha gun geeks!