Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Are we getting close to Serial # 0000008..????????
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Ken one last idea maybe a spot to attach a spotting scope with a window mount. Good luck with your design!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Good one. Very easy as well.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Couple pics of mine....for what its worth.....legs and seat unpin and pack up for transport....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I would be interested in one like this. On the left hand side I would like a place for the spotting scope with on a window bracket or on the mini tripod. 2" alum pipe with a slide so we can raise and lower the seat would be perfect.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Tri-pod or Monopod? I am thinking Mono would be cool, then it would be real easy to rotate for numerous targets

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM

In case anybody is interested.....the above one I made racks up to haul:

[IMG][/IMG]

And the legs pin on, then a bolt tightens against them to hold solid:

[IMG][/IMG]

The seat clamps on the leg and slides for adjustment. and the little ammo shelf just pins on.....
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM

im interested as well.
my 2 cents:
-weld a 1 1/2" (or 1" for smaller vehicles) sqaure tube for so when its folded up it can be transported, (similar to a bicycle carrier) on the receiver hitch.
-weld flat foot pads on the legs so tent pegs or 9" nails can be used to anchor it for semi-permanent useage(similar to a ridgid pipe stand)
-plan to use ratcheting quad straps to cross brace, from the underside of the table to the foot pads, again for the semi-permanent application.

its always easier to suggest it than it is to build it

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM

KEN: Let me know what you come up with.....I'd be interested. Something with individually adjustable legs and a cutaway bench comes to my mind. Right handed, of course. I know you could do one that would accomodate right and left, but I want something compact.

I'm thinkin... backwards P shape kinda thing but whatever. Let me know what you come up with and as long as "Custom" doesn't come with a "Custom" price tag, I'd be in.
I think a "Bowtie" on the rest would be a nice touch....or perhaps crossed flags with...say a checkered flag and a red flur de leis flag would be nice.

I got involved in a "Custom" tripod rest project a few years ago. Everything was stainless (I work for a stainless distributor) and in the end it was a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. Endless hrs of work...and we could've bought a Witchita rest for 200.00 bucks....but even now I get numerous comments on it at the range. Would I do it again.....nupe. I figure our "Custom" rest would have to sell for about 800.00 bucks just to cover the work.....but it is purdy.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Hey Ken any update on your benchs??
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM

I am waiting for soma parts to come in, have to get enough ordered up to cover shipping fro Edmonton. I have started the 1" leg bench, but there seems to be more interest in a 2" or 3" leg. It is easy enough to do, the trouble is keeping the costs down.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 AM

http://www.rmhunting.com/trailer/DSCF1503.JPG

nice rig, without the wheeled chairs. Saw a custom shooting bench somewheres that was made on a utility trailer..nice set up.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM

little update

I have tig welded together the base, and decided how to mount the legs on the first one, model 00000001 for thos counting .

I am going to Lloydminster to pick up more metal today, and hope to have the prototype done by this weekend. This will be the simplest one, be right handed and will have spotting scope mount, brass catcher, screw in front legs, and a pocket for loaded rounds.

Pics soon.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

Ken,
would like to come up and check your set up out. I will bring ca$h so you can pick up more parts/metal.

Later.....
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Default visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdlx View Post
Ken,
would like to come up and check your set up out. I will bring ca$h so you can pick up more parts/metal.

Later.....
Cool! when are you coming out?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdlx View Post
Ken,

Later.....
Nice chatting with you Leroy. I look forward to meeting you.

Again, not real worried about the money, more so about getting a setup that will meet everyone's expectations.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-Huntin View Post
Hey Ken if it was only for myself I would have an L shape for right handed shooter to rest my elbow on but considering one of my boys is a lefty, it would need to be a square back. For sighting I use a Lead Sled DFT but for a more hunting feel I use a Harris bipod.
I like the L shape too. Could it be made to flip over? Then it would work for righties or left.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
I like the L shape too. Could it be made to flip over? Then it would work for righties or left.
I have that part beat, the frame that I welded up can accomodate either a d or b style top. I will just pre drill all the holes then on assembly the guys can choose their layout.

Honestly the trouble I am having is with the 3rd leg/chair. I definately want to have the shooter sitting on the 3rd leg, to give more stability. I just hate the thought of straddling the leg. The trouble is attaching it to the base.

I have priced out an aluminum tabletop, 1/4" plate with the leather wrapped side will be awesome, but of course more expensive than a standard wooden table top.

I am having fun, cool project so far.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 AM

Well it's darn good you're having fun, 'cause iffn this were "by the hour", It'd be a real expensive rest.....lol. Hopefully you're leaving room on the side for my pink elbow cushion. Spruce Grove has the best benches I've seen but my elbow tends to git scraped so I bought me a Pink cushion to rest it on.

I was tired of all the camo at the range so it was my own personal little statement(have you ever wondered why people buy camo knives????.....and then put them on the ground when they are gutting something?). Kinda borrowed the idea from a John Wayne movie........

Anyway......post pictures. I've been shooting at buddies place (tell Ron..Scott Scheideman's) and depending where we are, we have up to 2000 yards iffn I could see that far, but we need a portable rest.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM

You bet, Abe.

You think the shooting rest is expensive? You should see the funnels I made out of aluminum on the lathe when I could not find the plastic one, and had friends coming over to reload.
I fired up my 3 Ph Hitachi lathe, ran a slug of 2" aluminum, and over an hour later I had a nice, shiny, $150.00 funnel for .243 LOL! My lathe is big, non cnc, and does not have a taper attachment. It has power feed, so everything is done by hand. I am going to continue with the funnels, might hand some out with the benches. I am on the 3rd now, should be done in 30 minutes
Seriously, they are cool!

I think you just told Ron, I believe he is following the thread.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-31-2009 at 11:03 AM.