Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Default 264 win mag

well who shoots one, how do you like it, how does it perform compared to a 7 mag shooting similar bullets?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
sheephunter

I've got a Pre '64 Model 70 in .264 Win Mag and I love the notalgia but as far as any real world gain over a 7MM or even a .270WSM, I doubt there is any. Pretty cool cartridge in the fact that not many people have one. Mine will always have a place in my gun safe but I doubt I'd go out and buy one today, well other than for the cool factor.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Its made a bit of a comeback. Ruger has starting making them again.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Used to own one, and have worked on and loaded for about 4 more.
BC of the 6.5 is very desirable, but like Sheephunter says, in the real world of hunting there is not much difference in the .264 and the 7.
In the lighter bullets for deer and antelope it may have a bit of an edge .
HOWEVER, if a No. 1 or Highwall turned up in .264WIN MAG, I'd be hard pressed to turn away from it!
Cat
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 AM

Got one in a Doumalin. Love it....but havn't used it in several years. I've never had much use for 7 Rem Mag. When I first started shooting everybody was buying 7 Rems and claiming it was good for mice to elephants. I wasn't ready at that time to follow anybody, so....my first serious rifle was a 7 x 57 ACKLEY...just to be different. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's not the "end all" cartridge that some ppl seem to think it is. I do, by the way have a nbr of other 7 mm rifles, just not 7 Rem Mag. and I would own one if the right one came up. Same as 270 win. Always wondered why some one would invent a cartridge that is basically a 7 x 57 with limited bullet selection.. But that said I own a 270 as well.......fell in love with the wood that was on it. Shot a cpl of deer with it and put it in the rack.

Not nearly the bullet selection of the 7's but how many different wts do you need anyway. All of my 6.5's including the 264 seem to like the 140's so thats what they get fed.
By your name I would have to guess that you already have a 7 Rem, so a 264 would be kinda redundent for you unless you just want to have one because they're cool (and they are) and there ain't nuttin wrong with that.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM

Default 264 win mag

i got one in a remington sendero,just bought it 6 months ago and love it fun to shoot,very accurate .now if i could just get my sons to give it back lol,apparently they like it too
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM

My dad just got me one and I plan on using it this weekend (If I don't work).

Ive only used it for target practice so far and I have to say I like the feel of the gun
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM

When I went shopping for a deer rifle the first thing I wanted was a .264 because of Ernest Hemmingway's description of a man using it to shoot sharks in his book Islands In The Stream. I found the ballistics supported Hemmingway's approval of the caliber and I figured if it was good enough for the original Great White Hunter it would be good enough for me. (I couldn't find one I could afford so I ended up with a .270.)

Sorry, irrelevant comment, couldn't help myself.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM

The claim of the day on all the stuff available in the .264 realm is mainly based upon sectional density and the LONNNNNNNG 140 and 160gr bullets offering High B.C per weight. I would love to get one just to say I have one but the magical 6.5x55 is a fierce competetor in this caliber for the ever so prime realestate in the never big enough gun safe. Good luck in your search for one if you come across two in a cool setup let me know maybe we can buy both and get a deal! Cheers my friend
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM

knock the belts off and sharpen the shoulders first,then make a decision
Old 12-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Got one in a Doumalin. Love it....but havn't used it in several years. I've never had much use for 7 Rem Mag. When I first started shooting everybody was buying 7 Rems and claiming it was good for mice to elephants. I wasn't ready at that time to follow anybody, so....my first serious rifle was a 7 x 57 ACKLEY...just to be different. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's not the "end all" cartridge that some ppl seem to think it is. I do, by the way have a nbr of other 7 mm rifles, just not 7 Rem Mag. and I would own one if the right one came up. Same as 270 win. Always wondered why some one would invent a cartridge that is basically a 7 x 57 with limited bullet selection.. But that said I own a 270 as well.......fell in love with the wood that was on it. Shot a cpl of deer with it and put it in the rack.

Not nearly the bullet selection of the 7's but how many different wts do you need anyway. All of my 6.5's including the 264 seem to like the 140's so thats what they get fed.
By your name I would have to guess that you already have a 7 Rem, so a 264 would be kinda redundent for you unless you just want to have one because they're cool (and they are) and there ain't nuttin wrong with that.
i like the way you think.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 PM

Default 264

A 6.5-284 or a 6.5WSM would be really cool
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Talking

I have shot a 264 in a mod. 70 win for about 7 years. Liked it alot. Needed hand loads to get accuracy out of it though. Found little or no difference between it and the bros. 7mm rem. Like having an cal. not commonly used, and shot moose, deer, yots, and bear with it.

Have not used it for sometime now. The 8mm rem replaced it, as most used. But now that u bring it up, maybe I will bring it back to the front of the gun box again and see how the accubonds work in it.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardCore View Post
I have shot a 264 in a mod. 70 win for about 7 years. Liked it alot. Needed hand loads to get accuracy out of it though. Found little or no difference between it and the bros. 7mm rem. Like having an cal. not commonly used, and shot moose, deer, yots, and bear with it.

Have not used it for sometime now. The 8mm rem replaced it, as most used. But now that u bring it up, maybe I will bring it back to the front of the gun box again and see how the accubonds work in it.
Hmmmmm....Maybe we should have a 264 Mag Shoot in the spring....Might have to open it up to the 6.5 guys though. You know how they get....
(betcha we hear from Catnthehat before long....
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Remington also makes a 264 win mag in a model 700 sendero sf II real nice gunhttp://www.remington.com/products/fi...ero-sf-ii.aspx
Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Hmmmmm....Maybe we should have a 264 Mag Shoot in the spring....Might have to open it up to the 6.5 guys though. You know how they get....
(betcha we hear from Catnthehat before long....
Well, whadya know, I think I have access to a post '64 264mag somewhere downstairs!
Not my first choice ( factory bolt gun an' all!) but IIRC, it shoots "okay"

However, methinks a 6.5 calbre match would get more entries, hopefully we could get sullijr to unleash his 6.5badcat!

Cat
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM

might have to whip up a 260 ai and join in!