Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2022, 04:18 PM

Default Target camera...

I am looking for input for a simple target camera system for long range shooting with my 22LR. I am shooting past 625 yards now and can no longer see the impacts on the steel plate or hear them unless the light or wind is just right. I was thinking about using a cellular trail camera but I have zero experience with them. Would a 40 grain 22LR bullet flying past the trail camera be enough motion to trigger it to take a picture of the target? Does anyone have any better solutions for a target camera for this application. Thanks for any input you can provide...
Old 11-09-2022, 05:12 PM

I have seen guys use two cell cameras on Face time, and O owned a Bullseye target cam .
625 yards for a 22LR is pretty extreme, what short of groups are you getting at that range?
As far as trail cams go. Yes 22LR would morre than likely show up on one.
Cat
Old 11-09-2022, 06:15 PM

Hi Cat, thanks for the reply. How did you like the Bullseye camera system? My CZ457 really likes Eley Sport, last time out it averaged 9 of 10 rounds in a 17 inch circle with one sometimes dropping off the target (I presume) at 602 yards. Still experimenting with many variables but I find myself wasting more time looking for hits rather than shooting when I get over 600 yards. I will either find some sort of camera system that works or just stick to working on groups at 350 yards or so where I can see the hits in my spotting scope.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:43 PM

I use an LR3 Long Range camera system. It uses a camera that transmits to the unit you have at the shooting position. I’ve used it out as far as 1900m with great results. With the caveat that the terrain must be suitable (line of sight between the two units) for it to be reliable. The manual says that with the proper terrain, it will work up to 2 miles. I use it on every trip to the Edson range.

One of the coolest things about it is, because of the longer transit times the further out you go, you can actually watch the round hit. I would break the trigger shooting at 1500 metres, and glance over to the screen on my iPad and watch it hit or miss. You can learn so much about doping at long range with something like this.

You can also record your shots and watch it later. It also does snap shots.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I use an LR3 Long Range camera system. It uses a camera that transmits to the unit you have at the shooting position. I’ve used it out as far as 1900m with great results. With the caveat that the terrain must be suitable (line of sight between the two units) for it to be reliable. The manual says that with the proper terrain, it will work up to 2 miles. I use it on every trip to the Edson range.

One of the coolest things about it is, because of the longer transit times the further out you go, you can actually watch the round hit. I would break the trigger shooting at 1500 metres, and glance over to the screen on my iPad and watch it hit or miss. You can learn so much about doping at long range with something like this.

I have the same. Works great!
Old 11-09-2022, 08:20 PM

The Bullseye is great!
Cat
Old 11-10-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
I have the same. Works great!
Here it is in action at Edson at 1500m.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:54 PM

A little different but friend has a 900 meter range in coulee at farm. They got an idea with one of those drones. Fly's up to target has a look and he see's it on phone or whatever device he is using then hits home button and it returns and lands on picnic bench he shoots off of.
There theory is they can shoot from one location, check all the target boards that are tough to see with spotting scope, Maybe not as good as shot markers but works for them.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Whoooa nice system and cool idea! I’ve bought a Shot Marker system and have used it only a couple times but it’s awesome. Stores shooting stats and images of shot placement at firing line. Not sure if it’d work for slower calibre rounds though as I think there maybe a lower threshold fps for it to work. I wanna say 1200 fps… not totally sure. For load development for my needs it works great so far.
Shot Marker is a Canadian Co., to.
Cheers,
j
Old 11-13-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Here it is in action at Edson at 1500m.

That looks like a great unit, how does it work at Edson's 1600 with being in a hole sorta, how clear of a line of site does it need to be? Where did you buy this, anywhere in Alberta that a guy can go get his hands on one before he buys?
Old 11-13-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
That looks like a great unit, how does it work at Edson's 1600 with being in a hole sorta, how clear of a line of site does it need to be? Where did you buy this, anywhere in Alberta that a guy can go get his hands on one before he buys?
https://buymylabradar.com/products/t...lr-3-2mile-uhd
Old 11-13-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Yeah, it doesn’t really work at the 1600m stand. I’ve tried to find a sweet spot. It’s just that the hole that 1600m stand sits in, doesn’t give clear line of sight back to the shooting position. I can get a signal, but it’s spotty. The camera, even on the tallest tripod I have, is still about five feel below the top of the ridge.

But like I said initially, the caveat is the need for acceptable terrain (read: line of sight for anything over about 700m). The furthest I have had it set up is 1900 metres. And I was getting full scale signal strength. I have seen a unit similar work at 2600 yards. But again, the terrain was favourable.

EDIT: Another great thing about the unit is battery life. I have had it set up and turned on for 10+ hours with only 2 of the 5 bars being used up.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:37 PM
Banned

Doesn’t Omer at precision optics carry these too
Old 11-14-2022, 01:46 AM

Neat ..... is that portable camera target reinforced at the rear ? What happens if a boat tail slams into it ?
Old 11-14-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Neat ..... is that portable camera target reinforced at the rear ? What happens if a boat tail slams into it ?
You kill the camera - don't ask me how I know!
Cat