Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Default New load accuracy testing

Do you guys use a sled or something when checking accuracy of loads in your rifles? Or is it basically based on your known typical accuracy when shooting?
Also how many do you load when trying a new recipe? I've been going with 20, just because I need the practice dumping rounds down range lol.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:28 PM

Sleds are the worst!

A proper front rest, and a proper rear bag, is the only way for me.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-05-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Sleds are the worst!

A proper front rest, and a proper rear bag, I the best way for me.
Exactly!
Old 11-05-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Sleds are the worst!
Agree
Old 11-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Banned

X3
Old 11-05-2022, 08:30 PM

Okay, that settles it. Getting front and rear bags tomorrow!
Any recommended brands that won't break the bank?
Old 11-05-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
Okay, that settles it. Getting front and rear bags tomorrow!
Any recommended brands that won't break the bank?
The Caldwell Rock is affordable Protektor bags are also affordable.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:46 PM

Keep in mind that while you are developing a load you’re also practicing for when you won’t have a bench rest to shoot from. And you’re getting used to squeezing off rounds to familiarize yourself with the recoil and the sound as well as familiarizing yourself with the feel of the trigger. Another thing about a lead sled is that they are responsible for many stocks cracking and other damage to your gun.

An exercise that is really beneficial is to dry fire your gun at home. Most bolt actions are ok to do this with but get a (I forget what they’re called) it’s like a dummy round with no bullet or primer in it. Some have used an expired casing, take the primer out and glue in a hard piece of rubber so the firing pin has something to dead end into. And when you dry fire it practise until you can hold that rifle on a target and ‘fire’ it until yo7 can do it with little to no movement. One of the better exercises you can do.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:23 PM

Snap caps!
I have done that thousands of times sitting on the couch. So many tv characters have been shot I should be in jail.
Most of my practice is standing/kneeling/prone off my pack.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Caldwell Rock is affordable Protektor bags are also affordable.
Rock comes in a kit from cabelas with a rear bag as well will probably pick up that when my trail cams arrive, with any luck it will be on wild Wednesday.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Sleds are the worst!

This

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:01 AM

As for testing a new load, I don't load up huge amounts, I pick a couple of bullet/powder combinations, and load 6-9 of each, 10-15 for a target or precision rifle, and head to the range. If I see potential, I experiment with powder charges, and then seating depth, if I see no potential, I try another bullet/powder combination. With components in short supply, I don't want to waste a lot ,if I see no potential at all. I do live 10 minutes from the range though, so I may make up to three trips to the range in one day. If you are driving an hour to the range, you may want to load more combinations , to save on travel time.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:31 AM

It all depends on what I am loading for .

For a match rifle I have a completely different format for development than for hunting rifles .

For a hunting rifles I generally run a series of ammo at magazine length and just under max loada according to several manuals , and shoot a series of three shot groups at different lengths , changing the OAL as I shoot right at the range .
Once I find an accurate length I then increase tge powder charge until accuracy suffers or I get hard bolt liftcand extraction, then I back off the powder charge.

However for Barnes Bullets I start at the top of the first driving band not at magazine length because I have found that the best accuracy is with a bullet seated very deep.
I normally do load development at 200 yards for most rifles
Cat
Old 11-06-2022, 06:37 AM

After confirming the optics are more or less on at 100 yards, I take most of my moderate to high end performing cartridge rifles out to 300 yds for load development.
Of course the close cover type rifle’s get evaluated at 100 yds.

I find this longer range load development really separates the Ho hum loads, and reduces component usage.

Having a Lab-Radar chronograph is a time and component saver too.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-06-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
After confirming the optics are more or less on at 100 yards, I take most of my moderate to high end performing cartridge rifles out to 300 yds for load development.
Of course the close cover type rifle’s get evaluated at 100 yds.

I find this longer range load development really separates the Ho hum loads, and reduces component usage.

Having a Lab-Radar chronograph is a time and component saver too.
After my initial testing, I shoot the load at 100 and 300 on most of my personal hunting rifles to see if anything out of the ordinary shows up, but it never has. Then I shoot about 20 yards consecutively at 200.

Cat
Old 11-06-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Keep in mind that while you are developing a load you’re also practicing for when you won’t have a bench rest to shoot from. And you’re getting used to squeezing off rounds to familiarize yourself with the recoil and the sound as well as familiarizing yourself with the feel of the trigger.
Not trying to start an argument , but I never try and mix up practice with a hunting rifle with load development because I am a firm believer in the school of thought that benchrest shooting technique is totally different from actual field shooting technique.
When I actually practice with my hunting rifles I use the positions I will encounter in the field and I do not shoot more than two shots at any distance consecutively with a hunting rifle while I am shooting it, I change up my position first.
But I shoot a lot, I burn an average 40 or more pounds of powder a year out of my rifles.
Cat
Old 11-06-2022, 12:50 PM

Default New Load

When I load for a new powder and bullet I usually start at the maximum load and work my loads down 1/2 gr at a time for ten groups, (2 rounds per group).
I shoot these lowest to highest looking for pressure problems. The group or groups that are tightest will be checked out further in 3 or 4 rounds per group, for confirmation, when I find one I like I'll work up loads around it .2grs apart.
All loads are seated at cantelure as they are for hunting.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:04 PM

Choose your bullet eg: 180 gr. Nosler Partition
Read the manual (OR 2) and choose a middle of the road OBTAINABLE powder. (for that bullet)
Choose a primer
Seat bullet ~20 thou or so off the lands or whatever fits in your magazine.
Do your brass prep
set up your dies
seat your chosen primer.
the manuals will gives you a load range from eg: 31.0- 36.0 grs. of your chosen powder/bullet combo.

load 5 rounds each of your starting loads EG: 31.0 grs, 32.0grs. 33.0grs. ... ETC. till you get to 36.0 grs. (or max load according to the manuals) (total 25 rounds).

Go to the range shoot each batch of loads in order and choose the best one.
* WATCH FOR PRESSURE SIGNS * IF you see them STOP no matter what.

After you choose a starting load you can then mess around with piddly things like seating depth, fine tuning powder weight etc.
DO have a friend who can pull your bullets if you mess up

For most hunting loads you will probably find one quite quickly using this method.
For precision loads this is merely the beginning.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:06 AM
Shooting Xs

Assuming you're asking for a hunting cartridge, this is my usual method.
If it's a commonly used cartridge(.270, 30-06, these days 6.5 CM) do a google search of commonly used components that work well for that particular round.
Check the Manual for confirmation.
I start mid load and load 1 each .5 grains apart to Max. recommended load and watch for pressure signs(flattened primers, stiff bolt lift, etc) when you find the pressure load stay at least .5 grain below that.
Now load up 3 rounds each of the safe loads you just tested at 100 yards, if you see a nice cloverleaf or group cluster under 1 inch or better, take that and go a couple tenths either side, load 5 each and confirm.
Take that load combo out to 200 -300 yards for distance confirm.
Usually 3 round groups tell me what I need to see to start, target load development techniques aren't required for hunting loads IMO, especially for factory rifles.
Take your time firing the groups, keep the barrel a consistent temp through out testing, especially larger capacity cartridges.
There's a lot of different way to do load work up, this is what works for me and uses a minimal amount of components in these times of shortages.
YMMV
Old 11-10-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
When I load for a new powder and bullet I usually start at the maximum load and work my loads down 1/2 gr at a time for ten groups, (2 rounds per group).
I shoot these lowest to highest looking for pressure problems. The group or groups that are tightest will be checked out further in 3 or 4 rounds per group, for confirmation, when I find one I like I'll work up loads around it .2grs apart.
Typo ? With new brass , powder , bullet weights I would not advise this.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
....eh? Whacha smok'n?
Old 11-10-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
....eh? Whacha smok'n?
I think thete is a misunderstanding

He stated he LOADS highest to lowest
But SHOOTS them from lowest to highest .
Cat
Old 11-10-2022, 06:00 PM

x2 Exactly what he states
Old 11-10-2022, 06:35 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Sleds are the worst!

Totally agree with all those in agreement about this