Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
where is this hype? i've only seen a couple obscure mentions of it here so far, mind you my world is pretty small

this will be a one year flash in the pan...just my prediction, the wssm's will have a better standing in time
I’ve seen a lot more info on the 6.8 western than I have seen on the 243 arc or whatever it’s called. How many times do you have to pump the forend to get those speeds? Or is it CO2 powered? If it’s CO2, does it take those little crosman cylinders? How many shots can you get per cylinder also?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
variety is the spice of life, i'm sure Roy did alright by coming up with a thing to market and sell

needed? no, we'd all be just fine with a 6.5x55 pushing 160's for anything but that's boring, people like to play and they like variety

i got hooked on the speed and it was fun to go up the ladder a bit, but have come back down and just as happy if not happier, so there's that

suppose if you'd like 2400 fps impact velocity at 600+ yards you're going to need some speed, for mere mortals however, we can still launch reasonable bullets at 2400-2700 fps and get all our hunting needs covered effectively also, sure is nice we have the choices though, i'm a big fan of choices and variety
Variety is great
Mine favourites just start where yours stop

Curious, have you ever hunted with anything bigger than a 7mm?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Variety is great
Mine favourites just start where yours stop

Curious, have you ever hunted with anything bigger than a 7mm?
Shot big game with 30-06 and a 300 wm, worked good too. Never shot big game with 7mm although built up a 7-08 just sold it before hunting it. Shot majority with 270 and 270 wsm. Some 243 also.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’ve seen a lot more info on the 6.8 western than I have seen on the 243 arc or whatever it’s called. How many times do you have to pump the forend to get those speeds? Or is it CO2 powered? If it’s CO2, does it take those little crosman cylinders? How many shots can you get per cylinder also?
Lol, quite a few pumps
Old 01-21-2021, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
You "new Idea" was actually invented over 100 years ago by a guy named Wm Brenneke, ( TUG bullets) N. America is so far behind we think, and act, like we are first.
Have had some looks, no reference to what I’m talking about. Send a link if you see one. Looks like he can make a decent bullet but that’s all I’m seeing.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Interesting cartridge for sure.
Ok saw an outdoor life article. Heavy for cal .270 short mag basically, the 165 gr has sd of .306(147gr 6.5 is .301) and the 175gr has sd of .326 which is same as a 159gr 6.5. Pretty impressive sd. Will be tough to grab any thunder from the prc. Or what anyone that can load 175-180gr in 7mm (.31 and .319 sd)

Not seeing enough advantage over everything else even their own 270 wsm which is already a solid 600 yrd rig with 140’s with respectable .261 sd.

The 6.8 western name won’t stand either. 6.8 is not a staying number in North America.

All the 6.5 prc has to do is load up some 155-160gr modern bullets and .318-.328 sd and that would quickly put final nails in the 6.8 western coffin.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok saw an outdoor life article. Heavy for cal .270 short mag basically, the 165 gr has sd of .306(147gr 6.5 is .301) and the 175gr has sd of .326 which is same as a 159gr 6.5. Pretty impressive sd. Will be tough to grab any thunder from the prc. Or what anyone that can load 175-180gr in 7mm (.31 and .319 sd)

Not seeing enough advantage over everything else even their own 270 wsm which is already a solid 600 yrd rig with 140’s with respectable .261 sd.

The 6.8 western name won’t stand either. 6.8 is not a staying number in North America.

All the 6.5 prc has to do is load up some 155-160gr modern bullets and .318-.328 sd and that would quickly put final nails in the 6.8 western coffin.
Prc is flawed
Can’t load any longer bullets or it won’t fit in a short action or the bullets will be seated to deep into the powder column

Old 270wsm couldn’t capitalize on high bc bullets. Same problems as the prc

Those hornady guys didn’t learn from mistakes of others

Last edited by marky_mark; 01-21-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
With powder prices going thru the roof, what do you think would be the most powder efficient "do it all" cartridge available today, for any and all Big Game from Whitetail to the largest, meanest or toughest critter you could possibly shoot in Alberta, out to 350 yards max.
To bring it back around to the original poster's point of finding a powder efficient cartridge that you can use on anything in Alberta within 350 yards, the answer is probably the minimum cartridge you would feel comfortable facing off with a griz or a buffalo at 350 yards (hypothetically speaking of course) and if you all of a sudden you feel that powder austerity measures are needed to keep rounds in the ammo pouch you can just download.

The more interesting side to my argument is that I have recently discovered the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook which has lots of low power loads for a lot of the common hunting cartridges. I recently was trying 160 grain jacketed bullets with 11 grs of Unique for my 7x64. I got muzzle velocities of around 1300 fps which is comparable to a lot of 357 Magnum loads which some people use for deer. If we are doing the KE per grain math (for whatever that is worth) it works out to 53.7 ft/lbs per grain of powder. The same gun is capable of running 175 gr bullets at around 2750 fps with considerably higher charges of slow powders. This is something along the same lines as spooling up the turbo's on your F150 Eco-boost; you leave the land of efficiency but as long as you kept your foot out of it for the last 5k km you can probably justify letting it rip when you need/want it.

The ol' 7x64 (or 308 or 30-06 or whatever) might be a little light for biggest baddest thing that you could shoot in Alberta (i.e a Banff bison gone rogue) at 350 yards, but I expect you could whip up some whiz bang load with a bullet made of adamantium that might work on a buffalo or a charging ruffed grouse and if you just wanted to practice or shoot something less than the biggest baddest thing on four legs you could download all the way to handgun cartridge speeds. I think 1 lbs of Unique loaded at 11grs per round would work out to 636 ish rounds, that's pretty efficient.

I couldn't resist looking up the 460 Weatherby Magnum downloading options:

20 grs of Unique pushing a 552 gr cast bullet at 1150 fps (Lyman Manual) that is an awesome 80.75 ft/lbs per grain. Hyper efficient Weatherby; I think Dean2 is onto something. I should do the math on the ft lbs/L of fuel of 3/4 ton truck vs the Honda CRV; I think this thread my have just provided me with rationale for why I should have Dodge Power Wagon.

The point being, whatever you have in your cabinet is probably a whole lot more flexible and efficient than what most of us take advantage of.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:06 AM

I’ve shot quite a few varieties of big game with magnum 7’s, magnum 30’s, magnum 338’s, and magnum 375’s. If I was profoundly impressed I’ve forgotten about it.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

303 Brit.....enough said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymallus arcticus View Post
To bring it back around to the original poster's point of finding a powder efficient cartridge that you can use on anything in Alberta within 350 yards, the answer is probably the minimum cartridge you would feel comfortable facing off with a griz or a buffalo at 350 yards (hypothetically speaking of course) and if you all of a sudden you feel that powder austerity measures are needed to keep rounds in the ammo pouch you can just download.

The more interesting side to my argument is that I have recently discovered the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook which has lots of low power loads for a lot of the common hunting cartridges. I recently was trying 160 grain jacketed bullets with 11 grs of Unique for my 7x64. I got muzzle velocities of around 1300 fps which is comparable to a lot of 357 Magnum loads which some people use for deer. If we are doing the KE per grain math (for whatever that is worth) it works out to 53.7 ft/lbs per grain of powder. The same gun is capable of running 175 gr bullets at around 2750 fps with considerably higher charges of slow powders. This is something along the same lines as spooling up the turbo's on your F150 Eco-boost; you leave the land of efficiency but as long as you kept your foot out of it for the last 5k km you can probably justify letting it rip when you need/want it.

The ol' 7x64 (or 308 or 30-06 or whatever) might be a little light for biggest baddest thing that you could shoot in Alberta (i.e a Banff bison gone rogue) at 350 yards, but I expect you could whip up some whiz bang load with a bullet made of adamantium that might work on a buffalo or a charging ruffed grouse and if you just wanted to practice or shoot something less than the biggest baddest thing on four legs you could download all the way to handgun cartridge speeds. I think 1 lbs of Unique loaded at 11grs per round would work out to 636 ish rounds, that's pretty efficient.

I couldn't resist looking up the 460 Weatherby Magnum downloading options:

20 grs of Unique pushing a 552 gr cast bullet at 1150 fps (Lyman Manual) that is an awesome 80.75 ft/lbs per grain. Hyper efficient Weatherby; I think Dean2 is onto something. I should do the math on the ft lbs/L of fuel of 3/4 ton truck vs the Honda CRV; I think this thread my have just provided me with rationale for why I should have Dodge Power Wagon.

The point being, whatever you have in your cabinet is probably a whole lot more flexible and efficient than what most of us take advantage of.

I love shooting light loads using red dot. For most calibers 13 gr of red dot and whatever cast or jacketed bullet you want. Mist come out the tube in the 1100-1300 fps range and heavy for caliber bullets hit with authority at 100 yds.
My favorite loads are

30-30
8.5 gr red dot over 165g cast or 170 gr jacketed.

303 Brit
13 gr red dot over 174 gr hornady RN

308 win
13 gr red dot over 180 gr winchester/ remington RN

45-70
13 gr red dot over 350 gr hornady FP or 405 gr cast

I have shot both with and without fillers and never had issue either way. I usually just look for cheap bulk bullets and simply look for groups that will ring the 8" gong at 100 yds....I have never shot these loads for groups but do use them at 20-30 yds for knocking heads of grouse once in a while.

I have also lightened each load down to subsonic levels but because of powder density/ case capacity fillers and mag primers are needed to reduce the chance of secondary explosion which causes major pressure spikes....