Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Gun Safe - Camo Edition .

Well I traded up 2 Subway sandwiches for a Gun safe . And well to go with my liking instead of the bland Black color I desided a paint job was in order so I took up Camo paint gun safe mission number 1 . After putting new locks and handle on the safe I took it outside and spent a lovely 20 dollars on Paint , and well she got the paint job of a lifetime . With neighbors asking what I was doing and the regular lady who rides her bike past our place everyday during the spring and summer , staring at me like I was vandalizing . Anyway ill cut this short and sweet here is the pictures from Camo gun safe Mission # 1 .

Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Now that's what I call art!
Maybe the nosy lady wanted an autograph
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Hey John, neat little paintjob you did there. When I get some time I will get a pic up of mine.....little different camo.

Question....how hard was it to get a new lock and key for them Homaks? We lost one of our keys, and wouldn't mind getting them changed.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

That's going to be one very unique safe for you there BBJ!

And I think the lady was staring because she was wondering what the heck this guy was doing with spray paint all over himself painting a metal box!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM

I was thinking of the logic of a camo safe (not bashing... I have silly camo things for fun), and came to the conclusion to truly camoflage the safe would render thieves unable to find it! Eureka! Now we'll all have to head over to John's and camo his whole interior decor! We'll find some hunters and lumberjacks who've been to JoJo's International School of Interior Design and Hairdressing to lead the team! ( I'm afraid to ask if such people exist)

Alternatively, if he just moved into a heavy thicket of sage it would save us all a lot of grief .

Other alternatives to keep bad guys away from individual rifles would be to modify everyday mundane items to hold your collection, perhaps an ironing board with an enclosed backside? A .25-06 toilet plunger? Hidden in plain sight, no? What more could John modify to keep 'em guessing?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of the logic of a camo safe (not bashing... I have silly camo things for fun), and came to the conclusion to truly camoflage the safe would render thieves unable to find it!
I am actually considering building a hidden gun room into the new house.In the event that we had a break in,our guns would likely be safe because nobody would know that we have any in the house.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am actually considering building a hidden gun room into the new house.In the event that we had a break in,our guns would likely be safe because nobody would know that we have any in the house.
http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

If I ever build my own house, as an architectural tech, this is right up my alley....
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM

We are presently building our house, and on a more serious note than my previous post I will be incorporating a few hidey holes. I think it was either here or on CGN where one guy posted a really nice brand of safe, that made me weep because I likely can neither afford one; nor get one into the basement while a crane is still an option.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/produ...es-weapon.html

I like the 5400lb Model F7248.

A poured in place vault door to a hardened concrete room would be sooo nice.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Default nice

good idea, i think i am going to steal it, and call it my own,
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Hey John, neat little paintjob you did there. When I get some time I will get a pic up of mine.....little different camo.

Question....how hard was it to get a new lock and key for them Homaks? We lost one of our keys, and wouldn't mind getting them changed.
I just bought replacement locks from Home depot but the locksmith was able to re-key the locks and fix the tumbler , but would of been very expensive like 50 bucks a lock I said pee on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
That's going to be one very unique safe for you there BBJ!

And I think the lady was staring because she was wondering what the heck this guy was doing with spray paint all over himself painting a metal box!
I was pant free until I had to move it for the night, then got my watch covered in wet green paint. But with a little dish soap and a sos pad got it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
good idea, i think i am going to steal it, and call it my own,
You will Owe me
Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 AM

Not meaning to dis your fantastic paint job, maybe keep your day job. LOL. How hard would it be for a thief to jam a crow bar into the gap at the top of the door and tear it open.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM

Jeez, you couldn't use flat paint at least? I mean the runs wouldn't show up as bad that way...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Put your tutus on everybody...

Well I think ya did a helluva job John, and unlike these cretins, I yam a professional art critic. I see influences in your work of masters like Red Green, Picc******* or maybe even Garfunkle.

If I ever buy that Lear jet I have been thinking about I will need to retain your services.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

BBJ good job but a tip on the running issue. One, paint it somewhere warm instead of cool out and two if you get a run, use a piece of masking tape and lightly put it over the run whilst wet and then peel back and bingo run is gone.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Not meaning to dis your fantastic paint job, maybe keep your day job. LOL. How hard would it be for a thief to jam a crow bar into the gap at the top of the door and tear it open.
This safe meets the requirements for storage. It's not meant to be the most secure......I think you know that.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was thinking of the logic of a camo safe (not bashing... I have silly camo things for fun), and came to the conclusion to truly camoflage the safe would render thieves unable to find it! Eureka! Now we'll all have to head over to John's and camo his whole interior decor! We'll find some hunters and lumberjacks who've been to JoJo's International School of Interior Design and Hairdressing to lead the team! ( I'm afraid to ask if such people exist)

Alternatively, if he just moved into a heavy thicket of sage it would save us all a lot of grief .

Other alternatives to keep bad guys away from individual rifles would be to modify everyday mundane items to hold your collection, perhaps an ironing board with an enclosed backside? A .25-06 toilet plunger? Hidden in plain sight, no? What more could John modify to keep 'em guessing?
One alternative you didn't consider is that the camo job keeps you from being detected while walking through the bush. For the really expensive rifles that you don't want to scratch.

Hope ya had fun BBJ. I tend to do excessive things like this "just because".
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Where is the gun safe???????All I see is youre front yard.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I renovated my last house I built a gun room in the basement. I set it up so the door was inside a walk in closet in the basement bedroom. It was the cats meow. There was room for around 40 rifles on double stacking racks and I still had room to store other misc stuff also. I miss that room now that I think of it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
That Gap wont be there for long , I got a piece of flat bar that I will be bolting on to the front of the door , as I thought that the gap was a bit big myself , If there going to break into it may as well let them work mighty hard .Any rate I wasn't done the paint job I had to pick up some Flat black paint , as I knew it would really set it off , It looks amazing now , after a morning of more detail and lines and shadowing , It looks fantastic . I also am going to weld a 2 foot piece to the bottom and fill it with concrete , as well as using concrete anchor bolts , so not to measure out where shes gonna live , do a like welding and Hot diggity damn I got me a Classy gun safe .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 04-07-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Day 2 Mission 1- Camo Gun Safe .

Here this is more today , I got some final touches I wanna add , as well as adding the Flat bar , desided against welding a piece on the bottom instead will put Cement Anchor bolts in and she wont budge for its life , here's more pictures .Just waiting for this set of paint to dry then Ill drill holes for the Hinge lock that I will put a Pad lock on , then I will put the Flat bar along the side and top and bottom , she will look sharp .

Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Well I traded up 2 Subway sandwiches for a Gun safe .
Remind me to take you along next time I go car shopping!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
And well to go with my liking instead of the bland Black color I desided a paint job was in order
And remind me to never let you paint anything of mine!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Remind me to take you along next time I go car shopping!!!!!!!!!!

And remind me to never let you paint anything of mine!
Aweeeeeeeeee please Ill trade ya for a sandwich .
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Default The end to Day 2 Mission 1- Camo Gun Safe . Status - COMPLETE .

Well There were go that was a good 40 dollars worth of paint cans , and Jewelry for the Gun safe , I got it all painted and I just have to mount it in the basement tomorrow , as as soon as I have the flat bar I will bolt it to the top side and bottom of the door . Anyway here she is in all her glory and its turned into a beauty .I also might airbrush a deer head on the front just need to find me a good stencil first .

Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 AM

nice job! But i was half expecting it to me painted up like kitchen cabinets or hidden by a bookshelf or something to that nature lol... House camo.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Well There were go that was a good 40 dollars worth of paint cans , and Jewelry for the Gun safe , I got it all painted and I just have to mount it in the basement tomorrow , as as soon as I have the flat bar I will bolt it to the top side and bottom of the door . Anyway here she is in all her glory and its turned into a beauty .I also might airbrush a deer head on the front just need to find me a good stencil first .
Hey, nice grouping. How far away were you and what caliber did you use to shoot the mounting holes for the hasp?