Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
SRP71

Default hand gun registration

Ihave heard that if u haven't got a letter to reregister your hand guns by now that they may have lost your info and dont know anything about it.Can anyone help me out about this?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Brady

I'm confused here, shouldn't you already have your handguns registered??
Old 10-12-2005, 04:57 PM
SRP71

They were when i bought them but i dont know if they need to be again or not,as i have heard different stories to this,and i know of somefellas who have been sent renwal notices and i have not.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Rub Sign

SRP,

You should go to the Canadian Firearms Centre web site and check-out the Restricted Firearms Fact Sheet. Here's a quote:

Previously Registered Firearms
All registration certificates issued under the former law expired on December 31, 2002. Restricted firearms registered in the former system had to be re-registered under the Firearms Act to update the information. If you have not yet re-registered your restricted firearms, you must do so as quickly as possible or dispose of them lawfully. You can apply to re-register them online through our Web site or by submitting a paper application (form CAFC 998 ). There is no fee.

--end of quote--
Old 10-16-2005, 03:11 PM
osterb

Quote:
They were when i bought them but i dont know if they need to be again or not,as i have heard different stories to this,and i know of somefellas who have been sent renwal notices and i have not.
You're in a very poor situation as many have been and continue to be.

The far most important question is whether your guns became prohibited without you knowing it.

If your handguns fall into this category
Quote:
handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less, and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific models used in International Shooting Union competitions;.
You could be plain and simply SOL unless they were manufactured before a certain date (1940-5?).

The best advice would be to get a verifier to come over to your house, get them verified and then register them online or send in the paperwork, which ever works first.

You live in Alberta and your cfo is pretty lenient but it could potentially get messy.

I had a law teacher who owned a pohib Luger and the CFC lost his entire lot of paperwork when he sent it in and then eventually it was found.

Rumor has it all the RCMP's handgun records were destroyed but having the old registration certs. will look alot better.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 PM
osterb

Default edited to add

The onus is on "you" to comply whether or not they notify you. :\
Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 AM
osterb

Default Re: edited to add

Just a warning.

If I were you I would not register your handguns
The liberals truel colors have came out.