Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
holdem

Default bought a rifle wondering how the trans works

I bought a rifle off a freind and i'm not sure how we transfer it to my name? Does he just call and and say I would like to transfer this over to blah blah and do I have to call and comfirm the transfer and will I receive paper work from the gov or do i just take his registration paper work or do I have to call the gov and ask them to send me a registration certificate. I looked on the web site but could not find any info. Thanks in advance Hold em
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
qballs

Default transfer

Get together with him if you can. Call the centre, they will walk you both through it. You need the current registration for the gun, your PAL, and his PAL or POL. I just did one on Saturday and it took 15 minutes. It is a good idea to have the gun in front of you as they will go through some identifying of it and/or fill in some of their missing info.
If you cannot get together with him, they will give you a reference number that he can refer to when he calls to cancel his end of the registration.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:46 PM
holdem

Default Re: transfer

Does he have to cancel and I have to re register it and get it verified or is it just a straight transfer to me. Also if he calls does the refernce # thing apply to me ? thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Rub Sign

It looks like the CFC prefers the original owner to make the transfer. I copied the following from the Firearms Centre Fact Sheet on Selling, Giving or Trading Firearms:

Telephone Transfers
The telephone process generally provides a quick and easy way to transfer and register a firearm to a new owner. To apply by phone, call 1 800 731-4000 and select the transfer option from the menu of services. Please have the following information handy when you call:

your full name, address and firearms licence number;
the name, address and firearms licence number of the new owner; and
the registration certificate number and firearms identification number of the firearm, as indicated on the registration certificate.
The transfer agent will guide you through the process.

You can let the new owner have the firearm as soon as you have been notified that a new registration certificate has been issued. The new owner will receive the new registration certificate in the mail, usually within a few weeks.

--end of quote--
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
osterb

Basically you phone that number and you'll get a woman who sounds as dumb as a door nail with a thick french accent that can't pronounce words correctly.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
holdem

Thanks for all your help I'm done . holdem