Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
The Real Batman

Default A Hypothetical (wink wink) rifle registry question!

Let's suppose a REALLY old single shot, bolt action .22 came into my possession.

Let's further suppose that I found the gun (especially if the husband of the little old lady who owned it, passed away, and she didn't know what to do with it, and didn't want to get involved in registry problems, or dealing with a firearm at all, since it was never registered).

If the gun is so old, that it doesn't have a serial number, what would you recommend I do... if ever this situation were to happen to me?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Rub Sign

If this person is in Alberta, the chances of him being checked for an unregistered gun are remote, unless the police are looking for something else and happen to find it. So, if this hypothetical person wanted to take a chance on waiting and seeing what is going to happen with the registry, it's most likely low risk.

On the other hand if the person wanted to follow the current law, he can still register guns. My local F&G club has gun verifiers that would fill out the necessary paper work, etc., and guide the person through the process. Otherwise, forms etc. are available at the Firearms Centre web site. You still need to find a verifier.

This person is not alone. There are a lot of unregistered guns out there whose owners want to get rid of them. Over the last few months, the Stony Plain F&G Club has been collecting such guns as donations from the public, registering them, and then selling them at silent auction at its meetings. The proceeds are plowed into the provincial F&G habitat program. It's a nice way to legitimately get the guns into the hands of people who appreciate them. Some nice pieces have been donated.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:49 AM
The Real Batman

Thanks for the well thought out reply! I will look for a verifier in Calgary and see if I can get this sorted out... if ever this happens to me!

While I don't agree with the current legislation, I do believe in obeying the law. I guess the lawmakers didn't realize the problems they were creating for the honest people of this Nation!
But then, of course, the bad guys are equally hampered by these "life saving" laws! >:

By the way, what does the verifier actually do?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Rub Sign

The verifier determines that the gun is what you say it is. He verifies that it exists and is the brand, model name and serial number (if it exists) on the application form. He is registered with the Provincial Firearms Officer.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:41 PM
osterb

Don't bother.
The registry is going down in flames.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
101sonny

Default Re: !

(This message was left blank)
Old 04-16-2006, 11:04 AM
osterb

the registry was barely enforced when it was put in place especially in Alberta.

Even if it stays it still remains useless and unenforcable. It's a single shot .22 rifle. Hardly viewed as a "dangerous weapon".

I personally have too much into my collection to have anything in a grey area so I keep legit. For rural dwelling people expecially it's hardly even an issue.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:38 PM
101sonny

Default Re:.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:55 PM
osterb

in your sig it should be

I can't listen to you, you're dumb
Old 04-16-2006, 08:28 PM
101sonny

Default Re: .