Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM

It's nothin fancy. Just a savage 10 barreled action set into an hs precision stock. Chambered in 223 REM. I'm positive I would have done it if I went with a clear head. Friday on a long weekend prevented that.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Noticed the "sub-1/2 MOA Poll" thread is back up again ... This is just one of several "CHALLENGES" that might be of interest to those who choose to show some pics of their shoot'n and their shooters. The in addition to this sub 1/2" @ 100 thread, the CHALLENGES series includes:
Sub-1/2" AVERAGE at 100M - open
Sub 1/2 MOA at 300M - open
Sub 1/2" at 100 - Factory Varmint
Sub 1.5" at 100 - Semi-auto
Sub 3/4" at 100 - Factory Sporter
Sub 1/2" at 50 - .22 Rimfire
And, the most recent --- just show a (recent) 5 shot group with your deer legal sporter
Remember, these are not "competitions" ...just Challenges. Time to get out there and do some shooting...enjoy.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Default my m70 featherweight

this is the first round of shooting after restocking, bedding the recoil lug and pillar bedding...5 shots to dial in scope...then 10 on a second target

will get better.........

gord
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Nice rig PR - if you're shooting single groups, the Deer Rifle Challenge is the best fit to showcase that beauty.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Looks like we are getting into weather that will soon make meeting this CHALLENGE even more of a challenge....anybody game to give it try?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM

wish i could say my gun could do it all day long. But finally got my handloads figured out this weekend and on saturday had 3 groups under 1/2 inch but best was .436 inches. Few opened up to close to .6 inch on other times. Not to shabby for a new reloader and a stock sako a7 270 win.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM

My 3 shot group
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131008_195013.jpg (40.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twispi View Post
wish i could say my gun could do it all day long. But finally got my handloads figured out this weekend and on saturday had 3 groups under 1/2 inch but best was .436 inches. Few opened up to close to .6 inch on other times. Not to shabby for a new reloader and a stock sako a7 270 win.
Nice shooting...Sako makes a good rifle...If my wife told me I had to buy a new factory sporter, it would be a Sako
EDIT: I think on the CGN Challenge, there have been 14 different shooters meeting the requirements for sub 1/2" @ 100yds and only three of them with chamberings that burn more than 35 grains of powder.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 10-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM

My bad just read the rules now I gotta go out and do this with in rules and see what I can get
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Look forward to seeing your results. For myself, I find that my five shot groups increase in size by about 60% over 3 shot groups on average...and shooting five consecutive groups can be a bit more intimidating than most of us will admit. Good on you for being willing to give this Challenge a try.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Default Its tough indeed

I just had a 6mmBr made. After i break in the barrel i will be making an attempt.
To all those that scoff at this challenge, i say do it, prove it, put your actions behind your words. To those that say its just about your gear (gun and rest ect) and that anyone with the right gear can do it i say your wrong. It takes intense concentration breathing and focus. Frankly those are likely just excuses for people who arent able to suceed at the challenge.

I likely wont succeed my first few attempts but i hope that with practice i too will be able to post a photo of my gun and my target.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM

I don't have to prove anything to anybody, but know exactly what all my rifles are capable of.
As far as I am concenred tiny groups don't mean squat unless they are used for load development process or in a match where group size is measured.
BR50 matches for instance were out of a possible 5000 points , each bullet being on it's own bull, so the gun had to be moved each time it was shot.
The .22 rimfire bullet had to be all the way inside the Xring to score the 100 points at 50 yards.

Cat
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Cat--to each their own. When I saw the first challenge on CGN, I was hot to try it...just to see if I could do it... ( a personal goal/challenge). A lot of people have had a lot of fun trying since this stuff started over on CGN, with several being successfull. I know a couple of guys that could do the challenges without problem ... they are on this forum. There are lots of good reasons for not posting, and I respect/understand that. But, for those that are proud to share their journey .... post 'em. And, if looking at "tiny groups don't mean squat" ---- look elsewhere, 'cause the title makes it pretty clear, this is where they will be showing up
Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 PM

If I ever feel the need to look at a 1/2" aggregate I'll access th latest SR/BR leader board and check the bottom aggs.
Cat
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Precisionshooter

Jim good work! These are excellent challenges. My excuse is I just dont have time. Ireally like the idea of the standing freehand challenge.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Cat, I'm mending fences but perhaps a few things need to be said. Most folks don't take kindly to put-downs and I'm no exception. Take a slap at me, and you can expect one back. You seem to go out of your way to take the odd poke at me. I post a pic of a group --- you declare "no interest" or how little it means to you. So, why not make the same comment when Lefty or Hotwheels post theirs --- get the point. When you post pics of a nice rifle, I am not so rude to say "who cares about rifles with metal butt plates" (not that I feel that way) --- or who cares if you are shooting "doubles with your shotgun ..... If I see something I have no interest in, I move on. No need to comment.
I lieu of the put downs, why not give me a PM....tell you what---I'll take the initiative and PM you. But, if you want to continue to take "shots", I'm game as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Jim good work! These are excellent challenges. My excuse is I just dont have time. Ireally like the idea of the standing freehand challenge.
That's the toughest one for me... I probably have no hope of ever posting, but what the hell...I try anyways. At one point I thought about making that Challenge 3 shots in three circles, but was talked out of it by some guys who don't want to "water down" the standard.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Cat, I'm mending fences but perhaps a few things need to be said. Most folks don't take kindly to put-downs and I'm no exception. Take a slap at me, and you can expect one back. You seem to go out of your way to take the odd poke at me. I post a pic of a group --- you declare "no interest" or how little it means to you. So, why not make the same comment when Lefty or Hotwheels post theirs --- get the point. When you post pics of a nice rifle, I am not so rude to say "who cares about rifles with metal butt plates" (not that I feel that way) --- or who cares if you are shooting "doubles with your shotgun ..... If I see something I have no interest in, I move on. No need to comment.
I lieu of the put downs, why not give me a PM....tell you what---I'll take the initiative and PM you. But, if you want to continue to take "shots", I'm game as well.
Why? because you immedieatly dismissed my first group out of a rifle whch is a shooter as not viable. Second, when you post quotes but only use half the actual quote, as in "tiny grpups do not mean squat unless they are used n load development" You conveniently forgot to add the last part.
And no, I haven't opened and will not answer your PM.
I could care less about what you think of me BTW so don't let it bother you.
I know won't
Cat
Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM

I enjoy this challenge, although I failed miserably. but its all about personal achievement. I enjoy competing against myself. I like to improve my skills and see if I can do better than I did the last time. I find that is what this challenge is about for me.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Default One Challenge i would fail at

I know that if you asked me to hit a dinner plate at 100yrds free hand with my hunting rifle i couldnt do it. If you asked me to hit a 2L of coca cola at 10 yards with a hand gun i would fail horribly as well. I prefer shooting from a bench and a rest or at worst prone with a bipod. Thats how i hunt and frankly i miss some game because of it. I wont take a shot that isnt humane. I dont trust myself without some kind of support.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Five shots in five different groups on one piece of paper for this challenge. Nothing else fits... let's be good sports and follow the rules as set out in the OP. If somebody wants to start a thread asking for ten shot groups, please proceed, but lets leave this one as originally conceived.
Well Cat, I tried. I assume your concern goes back to post #17 in which you showed two ten shot groups to which my response was the quote above. It speaks for itself.
Perhaps I should not have followed the original Challenge on CGN so close, and encourage everybody to post whatever they wanted, but I chose to maintain the same standard.
Actually, its kind of funny, because I was out of the country when the original challenge was laid down, and posted some groups that I had shot a few months earlier. The chap operating the Challenge PM'd me and let me know in no uncertain terms that he wanted exactly what was called for in The Rules ...and asked me not to derail the thread by posting my wallet groups. He was right. I appologized because all he wanted me to do was "follow the rules" outlined in his OP ... and I waited out the rest of January in agony, because I was sure my rifle was capable. If I remember correctly, I sent a few guys PM's asking them to follow the rules, and you may have been one of them. Don't think I have anything to appologize for .. so I'm fine with not making peace.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Anyone out for the cold weather?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I only dabble in benchrest and haven't shot a match in a couple years or so. Personally I can't afford to keep up with the equipment or the travel expenses. I shoot all winter long but with hunting and varmint rifles. It is too hard to keep a BR rifle in tune in cold weather to consistently shoot to it's potential, let alone the effect chattering teeth have on your groups!

It's been said that it takes "teens and twos" to win a match, those "teen' aggs rarely happen and when they do mostly happen when wind conditions are playing fair. Even with good conditions with a dozen shooters or so, more often than not only a couple or three guys out of a dozen shooting a match will agg in the mid .2's, aggs in the "teens" are rare. Even with the rigs they shoot and the knowledge many of these shooters have I would guess that if you averaged the aggs of every shooter at a weekend match it would be in the .3s to .4s. There are very few "teen" aggs shot, even at the highest level international events with hundreds of shooters. It takes a "teen" agg to win at that level but probably only 5% of competitors at those events actually agg in the "teens" to take home a plaque..
FEB 8, 2014 --- Thought I'd drag this post up as it sheds some light on competition level accuracy by a shooter that has been there... and provides a bit of perspective regarding our expectations regarding factory vs custom builds.
Any hearty AO'rs with new builds that fit into this challenge?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM

May 07, 2014 another bump to give some incentive to get out and do some shooting.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 PM

Any newly minted tack drivers to show off?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 PM

Hey 260Rem I'm not so sure that I could do it but if you would like to try it with my 6.5-284 your welcome to try it.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 PM

Load some up and bring them over. I would never turn away an opportunity to shoot more. I hope your 6.5/284 has some weight as I am not a recoil fan.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 AM

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=0
Rem.700 cdl .270. Confirmed load for 3rd time with a new trigger set at 1.5 lbs instead of 5.5 lbs . This hunting rifle can shoot. Have anothe load with Barnes that shoots too with other powder. Just need to fine tune to shoot like this group.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 AM

matathonman - Threre is a CHALLENGE specififically for your rifle "factory hunting rifle shoots under 3/4" groups @100M". Only three shots required in each group, but there must be five consecutive groups on a single target panel. Giv her a whirl and post results.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM

Default 1/2in group

well thanks a lot 260 ,lol, now I gotta spend hundreds of bucks again on ammo and practice time to try and catch up to you . awesome shooting my friend .