Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Should handgun hunting be permitted?
yes, unrestricted. 120 51.50%
yes, but with special testing requirements. 51 21.89%
yes, but only for grouse. 1 0.43%
yes, but within it's own season. 14 6.01%
yes, but within the primitive season 9 3.86%
yes, but only for grouse. 0 0%
no. never. 35 15.02%
undecided. 11 4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM

The sooner gun owners get on the same page, the sooner we win.

"what if?" is irrelevant. Deal with idiots when they present themselves. Prosecute and punish. Leave everyone else alone.

Worrying about someone wounding a deer or shooting their own foot off is ridiculous. Leave that worry to the guy who did it. He will either apply direct pressure or bleed out. It happens.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
wrong there are to manny large cal handgun cartridge that are under powerd for big game hunting such as the 38 long, 38 special, and 25auto,32 auto and the list is a mile long, most people wuold not even concider hunting big game with an under powerd cartridge but if you don't have a cartridge restriction some one will try hunting with under power gun but then if shooting treed cats just about any thing that shoots wuold be more than enuogh but for the most part hunters would no what is exceptable to there style of hunting. that is a loaded question.

You do realize that all those cartridges are legal for hunting in a rifle right now. People don't tend to use them because they realize they are underpowered. Handgun hunters wont be any different. Its much easier to allow people to make the decisions then try and rank each cartridge.

If a 38 colt in a rifle is ok legally, it should be in a pistol as well. I dont think you'll find a lot of people using innaprpriate cartridges.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 PM

A gun is a gun, if it's big enough to do the job, so be it. Don't let the gun-grabbers divide the gun-owners, it will not end well.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Don't let the gun-grabbers divide the gun-owners, it will not end well.
Apparently we don't need the gun grabbers help to divide us.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 PM

Hunting sure, should I be alowed to go shoot where ever is legal, hell yes.

I watched a show on wild where they hunted hogs with 45 acp in an AR action. I think it was 100 yards, killed the texas hog dead, one shot.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface2feather View Post
I'm not a hand gun fan at all, and I do know very very little about them. .
your thoughts against handguns are the identical thoughts of a lot of people on long guns.

you have said you are willing to learn. thats good. knowledge is power. keep an eye on this and youll see why it makes sense to legalize it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Apparently we don't need the gun grabbers help to divide us.
They already have, trouble is some don't know it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM

I'm not saying I don't think a pistol could do the job or any of you couldn't do the job with a pistol. Sorry if some of you are offended by how I feel. As i said earlier I'm not so stubborn or ignorant that I couldn't be taught something and be more educated on the subject. I have no intention to divide the group that we all are part of as Alberta Outdoorsmen, but I feel like that may be what some of the previous poster(s) are insinuating. I do wish for you all to be able to hunt by any means you wish to do so, and I'm sure you'd do it in a ethical, safe and law abiding manner. None of you are the topic of any of my concerns, I do feel that todays society is more full of misguided individuals, at least more so then at any other point in history-though I'm only 28 I can't say I'm speaking deom a lifetime of experience, I can say that I do watch the news and read newspapers. And sure it could be argued that all the media focus's on all the negative news with the horrible endings. I do understand that. I just believe that opening up pistol hunting would encourage more unethical occurances in our pastime from individuals that may have not been interested in hunting to begin with. I'm sorry I am not on the same page as you all, but will follow this thread in an attempt to get there.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I just believe that opening up pistol hunting would encourage more unethical occurances in our pastime from individuals that may have not been interested in hunting to begin with.
Do you believe that the same thing doesn't happen with rifle hunters? Some people purchase rifles, and drive or walk around the country, although they really could care less about actually hunting.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
You do realize that all those cartridges are legal for hunting in a rifle right now. People don't tend to use them because they realize they are underpowered. Handgun hunters wont be any different. Its much easier to allow people to make the decisions then try and rank each cartridge.

If a 38 colt in a rifle is ok legally, it should be in a pistol as well. I dont think you'll find a lot of people using innaprpriate cartridges.
X lots!!

The 7.62X39 has never really caught on as a hunting round even after it was legalized a few years ago for big game.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Do you believe that the same thing doesn't happen with rifle hunters? Some people purchase rifles, and drive or walk around the country, although they really could care less about actually hunting.
I didn't mean that it doesn't happen now, just that this would make it more prevelant, more obvious, and more likely.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean that it doesn't happen now, just that this would make it more prevelant, more obvious, and more likely.
Well if you acknowledge that is happens now, and you honestly believe that eliminating hunting with any firearm would greatly reduce or eliminate it, then perhaps you should join one of the anti firearms groups in their campaign to end all hunting with firearms.After all, if not allowing handgun hunting reduces this type of thing,not allowing hunting with any firearms should reduce it even more.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Big wrong.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

If you're not in jail or certified crazy, you should be allowed to have any type of gun and do with it as you please as long as it's not endangering anyone.

Anyone that is dangerous to society just because they own a handgun, probably shouldn't be out walking amongst us without one either.

I am continually fascinated with the paranoia people have over guns. It's like someone put some sort of a jumper cable in their brain that bypasses common sense when it comes to things that go bang. Even weirder still is people that own and are familiar with long arms, arguing that handguns are somehow more dangerous than rifles...that it's fine to trust someone with a 338 WM, or a 7shot 12 guage, but good frickin Lord watch out if he manages to get his hands on a ruger single six.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Big wrong.
+1 The media and our previous governments have done a great job of fear mongering over the years.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM

Sorry guys, like I said my experiences with the people I know with handguns are where my opinions come from. I'm going to follow the thread but probably won't post any more thoughts to it. Elkaholic I definately respect what your saying, but the longer this goes and the more posters get involved without reading the posts starting at #1 and reading all the way to the end don't really know what we have discussed. And my posts are being quoted out of context and I'm going to end up feeling like a deer in the headlights. I knew this was the direction that my initial comment would take this thread and I wish I would of just kept my mouth shut. Cheers Elk and other posters, no hard feelings, but out of respect for you all, our pastime and myself-I've got to let this one go.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys, like I said my experiences with the people I know with handguns are where my opinions come from. I'm going to follow the thread but probably won't post any more thoughts to it. Elkaholic I definately respect what your saying, but the longer this goes and the more posters get involved without reading the posts starting at #1 and reading all the way to the end don't really know what we have discussed. And my posts are being quoted out of context and I'm going to end up feeling like a deer in the headlights. I knew this was the direction that my initial comment would take this thread and I wish I would of just kept my mouth shut. Cheers Elk and other posters, no hard feelings, but out of respect for you all, our pastime and myself-I've got to let this one go.
I am very sure me and the last 2 posters have followed this thread from beginning to end.

Not meaning to pic on ya but you are not really addressing our posts with anything logical.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry I am not on the same page as you all, but will follow this thread in an attempt to get there.
those arent the words of an anti....just someone who doesnt have all the facts. lighten up on this guy, he says he is willing to learn.

hey surf....let me ask you this. have you ever heard the same exact arguments you are making about handguns come from someone talking about long guns. i know i have. what have you told them?

also, lets say a lunatic does get a handgun and join the hunting season. would you rather have a guy with a 7 mm rem mag rifle 800 yards across the clearcut wailing shot in your direction....or maybe a colt 45? by your own logic, the handgun would be the safer bet ...no?

keep in mind the licensing requirements in this country. not just anyone can go get a handgun tomorrow. sure some unsavory characters could bypass the system, but there are safeguards already in place to weed out most of the dangerous type. for those that get through and prove themselves a danger....prosecute them fully. of course i feel that way about those breaking laws with long guns too.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry guys, like I said my experiences with the people I know with handguns are where my opinions come from.
Do you believe that those same people would be safer to be around in the woods if they were carrying handguns or rifles? Or do you believe that there would be no difference?

And if those people give off such a negative impression, perhaps you need to avoid those people altogether.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 AM

As you read in earlier posts, I said I know very little about handguns, I'm not disguising that fact. And im not arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to hunt with a pistol either, I'm just saying I don't like it. I never once thought this to be a debate, I guess I've just been trying to defend my position. Sorry for any confusion I've caused but to sum up how I feel-best of luck in legalizing it, I hope to gain as much knowledge about handguns and hunting with them as you all have, and I would love for my opinion to be proven wrong. There are plenty of people on this forum who know a lot more about firearms, governments and the ways of the world then myself. I am definately a student of the forum, not a teacher.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
And im not arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to hunt with a pistol either, I'm just saying I don't like it.
That statement seems to contradict itself.Either you are in favor of legalizing hunting with handguns or you aren't. From everything you have posted so far, it appears that you are against legalizing hunting with handguns, because you believe it will lead to an increase in illegal activities.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 AM

S to F....

If someone is inclined to pursue illegal activities in relation to handgun hunting they are already doing it.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
That statement seems to contradict itself.Either you are in favor of legalizing hunting with handguns or you aren't. From everything you have posted so far, it appears that you are against legalizing hunting with handguns, because you believe it will lead to an increase in illegal activities.
Point of order; you can dislike something and not do something about it. It is called respecting other people's choices.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 AM

Smile

I have hunted with hanguns. Unfortunately it involved a long plane ride, to a state it was legal in. It is a great way to hunt. It is also a tough way to hunt.
I hope in my lifetime I see handgun hunting legalized in Ab.

Ps Hunting stuff I agree with you completely. You brought a smile to my face as I vividly remember thinking "don't shoot yourself in the foot Sam", when I finished off a deer with a pistol in Ga.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned

Well it looks so far that the majority is for hunting with handguns unrestricted. OK. I will go along too.

As for the poll, it was late and I was jet lagged, but trying to reset my internal clock when I posted it. I had meant to include a caliber/cartridge limitation, and I did not intend to have to grouse hunting options.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM

So what's this Primative Season your asking about?

What are the testing requirements?

Who looses out to get a handgun only season?

What no cartridge specifications?

FAIL

Do ya wanna try another poll?

PS: you can correct your spelling errors in the title.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 AM

I want to hunt with an AR and I want a special season for it.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

"what if?" is irrelevant. Deal with idiots when they present themselves. Prosecute and punish. Leave everyone else alone.

Worrying about someone wounding a deer or shooting their own foot off is ridiculous. Leave that worry to the guy who did it. He will either apply direct pressure or bleed out. It happens.
Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

X2 good post!

Nothing wrong with hunting or shooting, choose your weapon!

The dissenting voices within our own community only divide us making our voice smaller.

We got the LG registry because a bunch of misguided folks wanted to create some extra laws to keep us safe. That turned out to be a failed experiment. But we are still stuck with most of the stupid laws. All of them actually at the present time, but hopefully soon the LG registry will be gone.

The last thing we need is members of our own community trying to restrict hunting and shooting activities by proposing more controls, to deal with all the what if fantasies they can dream up.

Hunting and shooting are valid activities. They involve bullets and arrows.
The shape and size of the device that deploys these projectiles should not be an issue. Rifles, flintlocks, pistols cross bows, Ar's etc., who cases as long as the platform can deliver enough energy to the target to get the job done!

I believe we already have minimum calibre on the book in the Hunting regs. Harper wants more crow bar hotels. Tools that break the laws can occupy these new rooms. I'm not too concerned about fools hunting elk with 22 pistols, there will be room at the inn!

Crime and punishment gentleman, not restrictions! Put those that don't function well in society into the big house to think things over, leave the rest of us unrestricted to operate as free men.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM

And you wonder why there so few decent discussions on AO.

SandF added a contrary opinion/view and got ganged. Now you have a thread full of one side only. OK, you win, congratulations.