Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Shooting locations around Calgary

Hey,

I just received my gun license but before I go shopping does anyone know of a good location for target practice around Calgary? I know of a few ranges in the city but I would prefer not to purchase a 500 dollar membership. I have heard about the Sibbald flats public range but I'm not sure what that'd be like this time of year. The best situation for me would be a secluded gravel pitt or area where I wouldn't bother anyone and is easy to get to.

PS: I plan on getting a ruger 10 22 as my first gun
Old 01-01-2010, 09:36 PM

I would say that unless you can get permission to shoot on someones land Sibbald is your best bet. I haven't been there myself as my guns are still back home but from what I hear it's a decent place to take out some aggression. (not that any of us suffer from that)
junkie
Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Sibbald is the only free range around. Besides finding a nice spot on crown land somewhere, it's your only bet if you want a range-like facility with benches and backstops at 50, 100 and 200 yards. It tends to be very busy around hunting season, so much so there are often line ups to get a bench. In the off-peak times, you can often spend an afternoon out there. If you do head out there, please do not be like the yokels and leave your junk around. Clean up as much as possible, perhaps even take some extra. When I take my friends up there, the first thing I tell them is "I know this place looks like a mess, but I refuse to be like one of the a**h*l*s and add to it." The shotgun range is especially messy, and I pick up at least twice the number of hulls I shoot (I bring a garbage bag). If I had a truck, I'd haul out a lot more, but space is often limited in my car as it is.

As for ranges, TSE is probably the $500 range you allude to, but there is also the Calgary District Target Shooters Association (www.cdtsa.org) which is an outdoor range. Unfortunately the rifle range currently only goes to 100m, but membership will be somewhere just shy of $300 from what I saw last.

If you can afford to travel a little further, the Mountainview Marksmen Association range out at Olds (quite a trip, I know) is supposed to be a really nice facility, with membership under $200 IIRC for first timers.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM

Howdy 1022guy

Yes ... Sibbald is 'free', but you get what you pay for. Most times it's a total dump (read; "horrible mess"), and even on slow days it can be a real gong-show (read; "dangerous"). Everyone I know gave up on that *&^%$#@! place about five years ago, including myself. If you do decide to go out there, make sure your Insurance and Will are up to date, and don't let anything you own out of your sight ... if you do, it will most likely 'disappear'.

I, for one, don't mind paying a reasonable fee (~$200/yr.) to belong to a legitimate gun club. I belong to the CDTSA range (Calgary & District Target Shooters Association www.cdtsa.org ). It's located just outside the Calgary SE city limits. It's a good club to belong to, and a great place to shoot. I've been a member there for over 10 years now.

Shop around ... not all gun clubs cost $500/yr.!

GW

Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

Howdy 1022guy

Yes ... Sibbald is 'free', but you get what you pay for. Most times it's a total dump (read; "horrible mess"), and even on slow days it can be a real gong-show (read; "dangerous"). Everyone I know gave up on that *&^%$#@! place about five years ago, including myself. If you do decide to go out there, make sure your Insurance and Will are up to date, and don't let anything you own out of your sight ... if you do, it will most likely 'disappear'.

I, for one, don't mind paying a reasonable fee (~$200/yr.) to belong to a legitimate gun club. I belong to the CDTSA range (Calgary & District Target Shooters Association www.cdtsa.org ). It's located just outside the Calgary SE city limits. It's a good club to belong to, and a great place to shoot. I've been a member there for over 10 years now.

Shop around ... not all gun clubs cost $500/yr.!

GW

Its $375 for the first year and $175 every year after that.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
Its $375 for the first year and $175 every year after that.
Traps ... where did you get "$375" ^ from !!! Please Clarify!

From what I understand ... for the first year, the CDTSA Membership Fee is $260, and every year after that it's $175 [ http://cdtsa.org/files/2010%20Application%20Form.pdf ]

GW

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 01-02-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

From what I understand ... for the first year, the CDTSA Membership Fee is $260, and every year after that it's $175 [ http://cdtsa.org/files/2010%20Application%20Form.pdf ]

GW

I saw the same when I looked a few weeks ago. Looking at a membership there and letting the one at Olds lapse.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Guy
Send me a PM and Ill go out with you, I have a couple of tricked out 1022 you can give a try. And I always lookin for guys to go shootin because my most of my friends wifes are ANTIs.
-Ron-
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm a member at CDTSA as well and love it. It's 11km from my place on the S side of Calgary. I used the facility a lot this year for gun and bow practice and never once saw anyone being unsafe.

I understand that membership will be closed after this year as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM

think twice about the sibbald public range, aka "Little Beirut" .. there are no rules or controls and one takes his or her life in their hands..I went there a few times when we first moved to Calgary...dirty and dangerous.

Olds is good for the $$ - have had a membership there a couple of years. Never made it out this year, as they had range repairs most of the year..I like the Shooting Edge as it is year round accessible and great for pistol shooting...the Calgary S Calgary facility sounds great, never been there.
Unfortunately, we all know the shooting sports are not cheap-to me the range distance and accessibility are key.
Good luck, many that are noted in the posts are good choices.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Olds website

Does Olds have a website? Contact name/number?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM

the olds website is under
Mountain View Marksman's assoc
http://www.mvmarksmans.com/
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 AM

There are a lot of good responses but unfortunately I am not looking to pay a couple hundred dollars. As is money is pretty tight for me as already I have to buy equipment to get into the sport.

I'm not specifically looking for a range facility just a general place to shoot. My only worry is that I'll buy a brand new shiny gun then have no where to shoot it and store it in my closet or something while it gathers dust. I'm fine with "crown" land but I just didn't know of any good spots. I don't know the rural alberta area too well outside of the major highways and such and from what I remember its all private property and occupied land.

I'm looking for a few good ideas for a place that is easily accesible, especially this time of year, within an hour or two of calgary and is away from private property and busy areas. I know this is a lot to ask but I thought might as well look for an ideal spot first.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM

If you don't mind driving for a couple of hours, there is a lot of crown land in the Porcupine Hills SW of Claresholm. You can take the same road that heads up to the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump near Fort Macleod and follow it until you come up to the Forest Boundry Reserve sign. Once past that, you're on crown land. Shoot all you want... just make sure that you have a good backstop. It might be a good idea to pick up a county map (land owner's map) as many ranchers in the area are more than happy to allow people on their property to shoot gophers in the spring / summer.

Edit to add: The road that goes up to the Forest Boundry Reserve often requires a truck to be passable. It's a gravel / dirt road, but you won't get far in a car, especially in the winter or spring when the road is muddy.