Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM

Default any body own the new elite 6500

hi guys,i am thinking of purchasing the new elite 6500 in 2.5-16 power,any comments or suggestions would really be apprieciated , i have a 4200 with 2.5-10 power ,great for moose in northern qc, but when i get out to ontario, manitoa, and saskachewan, the cross hairs are the Firefly ? not very good cause when you are trying to shoot big wt at 400+ yrds they are hard to shoot with confidence cause you don't know where you are aiming ? the reticule is so big it just about covers the deer at that distance,the price is way up there at $850 , just wondering if it is worth that money? maybe try a leupold or ziess? need help ? thkx,
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 AM

I do not own one but know someone who does. His opinion is a little pricey for a gimmicky 4200. I owned a 4200 and liked it on my non magnum fire arms due to the short eye relief. I own four leupold scopes and swear by them. Lifetime warranty, and if you need warranty it is done here in alberta. Great eye relief, great glass, varmint reticle on my 22-250 is awsome to say the least, and the boone and crocket reticle in 4.5-14 on my 270 win. is just plain wicked all the way out to 500. Great low light scopes also. Dont mean to shy you away from anything else, but in my opinion they are the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 AM

i have one on my 30.06. It has the doa retical and after 10 rounds or so i had it very close to 600 yards like within a couple inchs. Over all the glass is good . The doa retical works very well after finding out where your bullets are hittting Ie low or high at what yards. The doa retical only works at full power but to 100 yards it works on low power. It works very good in rain or snow and in cold. I'm happy. But you should look through everything around that price and then decide.good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM

I have the Elite 6500 in the 4.5-30 on my Remington Sendero .300RUM and I love it I have the mil dot model. Its super clear the magnification available is a very nice touch. If you have the ability to make those really Loooonnnnng shots you will always have enough zoom to see clearly what you are shooting at. As for quality mine has about 500rounds out of my .300RUM under its belt and the recoil hasnt affected it one bit. The price is up there but try finding a comparable Leupold with that kind of magnification, w/30mm Tube. You wont not for the price. Some love Leupold, Some love bushnell and there are many other choices as well. Many replies here have spoken of leupold but to answer the question you asked. Yes the 6500 is well worth the money. You can get it in many many reticles. If you arent happy with whatever reticle you have find one with the Fine reticle. Good luck in your search!
D oh and by the way Happy new years
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM

thkx and happy new year to you also Dennyv , i really appriciate eveybodies quick response , and i am very happy to here that it can with stand magnum rounds , i use a 300wsm for western hunts, i think that it is fair to say that maybe you should be working for bushnell on field testing ,wow you sure do alot of shootin,sure wish i had the time, i was looking at swarvoski ? but i can buy 2 elites 6500 for the price of it.thkx alot.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM

I recently purchased a laminated, SS, T3 lite in 204 and adorned it with a Busnell Elite 6500 with mil dot.
I really liked this one due to the 6.5 magnification ratio. At a range from 2.5 to 16x it more than covers my need for the up & close called in yotes as well as for the long stretched out shots while P-doggin.
I also have a few leupolds with the varmint reticle and really enjoy these as well, but the range of magnification was the finishing factor in choosing the elite 6500.

Aim Small Miss Small