Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Default BSA Sweet 17 Scope Quality?

I was thinking about buying a varmint rifle in 22-250 for yotes and I thought about putting a cheaper quality scope on it. I have a Leupold VX11 on one rifle and a Burris Fullfield II on another so this would be quite a step down as far as quality goes.

I was wondering if anyone has every had any experience with a BSA Sweet 17 scope. I can buy a 6-18x40 on ebay for $80. Would I be wasting my money and better off spending a bit more for a higher quality scope or will it be good enough to do the job on a 22-250?

Is there a similiar "budget" scope that is a better bang for my buck?

I'd like to hear the good, the bad and the down right ugly! Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM

That BSA is pretty much bottom of the barrel......
You're probly better off with a Tasco varmint..or some such.

IMO only.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM

x2 on the Tasco 6x24. If you google the Barska and BSAs neither have a very good rep, though have never owned either personally.

For about $90 for the Tasco you get what you pay for but they aren't too bad. I have three, no where near as good as an expensive glass, but the adjustments work okay and as long as you stay under 20 power, reasonably clear. For twice the money you can move a long ways up market. The less expensive Bushnell lines come in about 100- $150 depending on magnification, and IMO they are a much better scope. Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was thinking about buying a varmint rifle in 22-250 for yotes and I thought about putting a cheaper quality scope on it. I have a Leupold VX11 on one rifle and a Burris Fullfield II on another so this would be quite a step down as far as quality goes.

I was wondering if anyone has every had any experience with a BSA Sweet 17 scope. I can buy a 6-18x40 on ebay for $80. Would I be wasting my money and better off spending a bit more for a higher quality scope or will it be good enough to do the job on a 22-250?

Is there a similiar "budget" scope that is a better bang for my buck?

I'd like to hear the good, the bad and the down right ugly! Thanks.
As was stated, the BSA scopes are JUNK!
You may get a good one every now and then, but I've seen more than a few with busted cross wires, messed up AO's, fogging, etc.
It seems if there is a problem that can be encountered, there are I guys I know that either showed me w BSA or told me about their BSA that was no good after only a few outings.

There are many inexpensive scopes that I would pick above them.
A decent 3-9X Bushnell with be heads and shoulders above any of the BSA scopes you find IMO.
I'm sure there are people who disagree however....
Cat
Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM

X2 what cat said. For 100 buck a bushnell 3x9 will do fine on a light cal gun. I'm amazied at how many old bushnell crappy tire scopes still hold there zero. Most are on old standard cal rifles.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Thumbs down

Bought the same scope you are looking at and all I can say is "save yourself the hassle and look at something else" I replaced it with a inexpensive Tasco Varmint for about the same money and the Tasco is far better! I could not shoot gophers for more than a half hour before the BSA gave me a headache from just looking through the poor optics. If you are considering the sweet17 after reading all of the responses(I hope you don't) I would gladly dig it out of the trash can in my gun room(hole) and give it to you!
Thunder

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

strange ive had a bsa sweet 17 scope on my 17hmr for 3 years works great. can put all 5 rounds touching at 100 yards and inside a quarter at 200 and a loonie at 300. guess its all in how you treat them.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Wow Redneck!! great shootin!
I have heard from others about how great the sweet is and thats why I gave it a go! Unfortunately, I did not get the same results.
Glad to hear it is working out great for you!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
strange ive had a bsa sweet 17 scope on my 17hmr for 3 years works great. can put all 5 rounds touching at 100 yards and inside a quarter at 200 and a loonie at 300. guess its all in how you treat them.
I don't think it's how you treat them , but in fact if you get a good one from the factory.
I do a lot of "box" , or "'bracket " tests as they are sometimes called, basicly shooting number of rounds then turreting up, over, down, then back over, to make a box out of the series of groups on the target.
This is done to check scope tracking .
I've never had one BSA that passed the test out of the five I tried.
Pretty dismal results.....

Cat
Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM

i will admitt they aint the best scope ever made but im happy with mine. have to come up to ft mac and let u try mine see if i got lucky or not.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
i will admitt they aint the best scope ever made but im happy with mine. have to come up to ft mac and let u try mine see if i got lucky or not.
Maybe try a box test yourself, and see if the scope will track well.

shoot 5, go up 4", shoot five, go left 4", shoot 5, go down 4', shoot five, then over 4" and shoot five.
Your last 5 shot group should be right in that first, and the others should form the corners of the box.

I doubt very much if bringing it up to Ft.Mac would make any difference!!
Cat
Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

bsa sweet 17 scope is intended to be used on a 17 ,they have several models
out all intended for specific calibers.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
bsa sweet 17 scope is intended to be used on a 17 ,they have several models
out all intended for specific calibers.
The scope may be calibrated for a certain cartridge, but it doesn't mean that the particular scope will still track properly.
Cat
Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Okay, I'm convinced. BSA is out. Trying to save a buck on a scope is probably not the smartest move anyways. I'll look at scopes in the $100 to $150 range. I should get a decent quality Bushnell for that price that I'll be happy with.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Yep he isnt lieing nither I almost creamed my pants at his shooting .

X 475 on the Tasco Varmit wicked cheeper scope . Really impressed with mine . Wish I could get one for my main hunting rifle but I think it would be NFG first shot I took .
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Default Tasco Varmit Scope

I would'nt be scared to put the Tasco Varmit scope on anything from 30-06 and down. Have had one on my .270 Tikka for about 6 years now and have done nothing but check zero but have never had to adjust it.