Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Default 22 Hornet

I'd like to see a few more 22 Hornets on the market. I had a Browning hunter and found that the plastic clips kept breaking, and the frustration forced me to part with it. But I would like to see something in a left hand bolt, with decent accuracy. Or, waht is the availability of any single shots...? Naturally, it would have a scope on it.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Ruger and Uberti both make single shots, as do a number of other semi-custom shops that make falling block and rolling block replicas. As far as bolt guns, you can rebarrel a left hand CZ 527, Savages and Remingtons into Hornet, but aside from the Browning the only factory left hand Hornet I know of was made by Anshutz. They are hard to find and very pricy when you do.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Default 22 Hornet

Yea and Anschultz sounds good... real good.

Not too sure what you suggestion entails regarding the rebarrel of the CZ though...? Like, into what action?

I think Savage makes a single shot, but it's right handed... Yuk...! Just kidding... But I won't flip a rifle anymore to shoot a right handed repeater...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

Here is an example of a guy turniing the CZ 527 action into other things. CZ makes the 527, mini-mauser in 223 and 204 left handed and they are easily available here in Alberta from places like Prophet River in Lyodminister. They can be re-barrelled easily by a competent gun smith to a 22 Hornet, 19 Calhoon, 221 or 17 Fireball or any other small caliber varmit load using a 223 size case head.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM

given the price increases in 2009 with 17hmr and small calibres...It wouldn't surprise me to see a resurgence of the 22hornet...at Dean2's advice, l'il shooter and I invested in a Ruger k77 22Hornet and it's a blast to shoot and reload. thanks to the sales at Russells, I am pretty much fully stocked on powder and bullets for 2010.....watch out gophers!
It would be great to hear from other Hornet enthusiasts.....
Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrambler View Post
Yea and Anschultz sounds good... real good.
I've seen a few anschutz at our local shop here in Lloydminster but they have stopped making them. I think there is still a few in stock.
I have a 77/22 and I love it but the accuracy isn't there like it would be with a Cooper or Anschutz.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM

BigT

Have you seen a left handed Anshutz Hornet there any time recently cause that would be interesting. At the price of the Anny though, I could just order a lefty one from Cooper. Aside from price, the biggest issue with the Coopers in those calibers is they are single shots, instead of repeaters like the Anny and CZs. Whille I shoot a lot of my bolt guns single shot, it is nice to have the option to load it up if you are into some heavy shooting.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM

No, I've never seen a left. Some don't have a cheeckpiece but they are right handed. I don't mind the single shot of a Cooper. I leave the shells right on the rifle and load as fast as I need. Too bad; they had a gorgeuos classibc in HNT in stock last year-beautiful wood. Of course, it was RH. I think they have them now but in right hand too.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM

I have the laminated HB Ruger .22 Hornet and have thousands of rounds through it. With only 9 grains of powder it's super economical to reload. I resize the mouths only and installed a custom trigger at 1.3 lbs and this has helped improved accuracy a lot. I like the 45gr. Hornady Hornet bullets but will be trying the 45gr. Bee bullets upon recommendation of a friend. At closer range and at Hornet speeds they are apparently devastating, like mini XTP's.
My Hornet competes nicely with a friend's Rem 700 LTR .223 in the kill ratio department out on the gopher fields (out to at least 150 yds). What I don't need to put up with is the extra noise and added recoil.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Correct me if I am wrong or missed it if someone else mentioned it. But Savage also makes a laminate Heavy barrel in their varmiter. Really nice gun for a savage high gloss blueing and very affordable to the masses at $500. Sure do want to try out the .22 hornet alot of the old boys around me own em and say its great fun to hand load em and try to get a loonie out of 10shots, some say its possible some say otherwise I dont know the caliber from a hole in the ground so I cant really speculate either way.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Propliner

Let there be a great big collecive AHMEN. If more people tried the Hornet, loading components for it would soon be hard to find. Lets hope most stick to their 17 HMRs.

DennyV

Most Hornets in sporter or varmint weight guns aren't really one hole for ten shots but the CZs, Ruger 1As, Ruger 77s, Ubertis and definitely the Anschutzs will group competitively with most of the other centre fires like the 221 Fireball, 218 bee, 223, 204 etc.

The Hornet has a bad rep for accuracy but it comes from the old days of shooting them out of lever guns and the like. Hornets are not inherently inaccurate but the small case capcity, as is true for any other small case like the 17 Fireball and 218 Bee, means they are very picky about primers, powder weight, COAL etc.

You need to be very precise reloading for these, far beyond what you would see in a 22-250 or even 223. On the plus side, and aside from the Bee and the 221 and 17 Fireballs, it burns a heck of a lot less powder doing it. Thus cheap to load, and very quiet.

More power to the small case, quiet shooting and hard hitting mini rounds.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM

I just picked up a sako m78 hornet. haven't shot it yet, picked up dies, brass and a couple boxes of factory stuff.
Any good load suggestions?
berger send me load data but they ain't cheap
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Of the major manuals published, IMO the Speer Manual has about the best all round loading advice on the 22 Hornet. I would recommend you start with Lil'Gun and Sierra 40 grain Blitzkings, with small pistol primers (small pistol primers is Speer's recommendation and they state clearly not to use their load data with small rifle primers as pressures are far more erratic). Then work up from min in 3/10s of a grain increments. 3 Hornets, a 221 Fireball and a 218 Bee all like some combination of that load and different COALs. If your gun will shoot the Li'Gun well, it is much lower pressure and between that and only neck sizing, the cases will last well past 10 reloads. If not, try the Hornady 40 Grain V-max or the manual has lots of other powder recommendations. Hope this gives you a reasonable starting point for load development.

Best of luck with the new gun.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Just found a NIB Ruger #1 in 22 HNT.
All this talk has me thinking I should pick it up!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM

x2 on Dean's load recommendations. My Ruger is shooting fine groups with the L'il Gun ..he is one of the true Hornet masters...
Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 PM

I have been using 36 gr in my hornet and have had wonderful luck with accuracy. I have been collecting different bullets, and am going to dom some grouping when I get a decent day.
The hornet is one of very few rifles I would have trouble getting rid of, fast, deadly, relatively quiet, easy and cheap to load for, what could possibly be better?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Rena

One other tip on reloading thin cased rounds like the Hornet and 218 Bee. Chamfer the necks on new rounds, to make seating the bullet easier. You will likely only have to do this once, as I have never had to trim mine.

Also, you may want to look at getting yourself a Hornady universal 22 caliber seating die. It will seat any 22 from 22 Hornet to 22-250. It has a unique, sliding sleeve system that makes it very much easier to seat bullets straight. Using it I have never krinkled the thin necks on rounds like the Hornet and best of all you never get that pinched finger symdome. Also has the advantage that then all you have to do is buy a single neck sizing die for each of your various 22 cal variations. RCBS, and Redding sell Neck Sizer dies as singles, or for the same price as just the neck die, you can get a three die, FL, Neck and spare seating die, with shell holder, from Lee.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM

I guess the Uberti is a single shot, and was wondering what kind of accuracy do they tend to produce...? And, what is the usual cost for one...? And, who tends to sell them?
I have only seen Remington ammo on the shelves at various gun shops... Do any of the other ammo companies make 22 Hornet ammo in various grains other then 45 grains.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:10 PM

The anschultz in left hand 22 Hornet would be real interesting... if it was actually produced. I know they produced a 22lr and 22 mag i left hand.

Now, I took a look at the recent Remington production in 22 Hornet and it looks good... As per my usual grip... Where is the lefty.

And Savage makes the weather warrior series and could produce the same in a slighty heavier barrel for accuracy.

I've always liked a cheek rest, and one of the best (in my experience) is found on the Sako - Hunter pre MODEL 75
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Bull

Uberti is a single shot rolling block. Ellwood Epps is where I bought mine form used, was about $650. There are lots of Uberti importers in Canada if you are looking for a new one.

They typically come with open sights and are not tapped for a scope. I am having a Unertel 15X mounted on mine for a nice period looking piece. Have never shot it off the bench for group but last year with the factory open sights I wasn't having any trouble mistifying gophers out to two hundred yards.

As to factory loads, cheapest is PRVI, $29/50 and very accurate, brass is my favourite for reloading. Wincheter makes two in the 46 grain bullet, and Hornady makes a 35 grain V-max that I have Chronoed at 3,100 FPs as they claim. Accurate and fast, great choice for those that don't reload.

http://www.ubertireplicas.com/lever-babyrollingcar.php

Last edited by Dean2; 01-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby416 View Post
Just found a NIB Ruger #1 in 22 HNT.
All this talk has me thinking I should pick it up!
If you don't buy it, let me know where I might ? Thanks!