Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Default Hornady 30/06 150gr light mag ammo?

Has anyone had any experience with these as to accuracy. I bought a new H&R single shot and sighted it in with a Nikon Prostaff, on the weekend. I started out with remington 125gr express bullets. After about 10 shots I got it around 2 inches high dead center at 100 yards. Then I switched over to the Hornady's and did not even yet paper on 2 shots! What? Went back to the Remy's to see if it was the scope. Dead on accurate. Are the light mag loads this bad on accuracy? Whats your guys experience on these? Any info would be great. Tx in advance!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlight View Post
Has anyone had any experience with these as to accuracy. I bought a new H&R single shot and sighted it in with a Nikon Prostaff, on the weekend. I started out with remington 125gr express bullets. After about 10 shots I got it around 2 inches high dead center at 100 yards. Then I switched over to the Hornady's and did not even yet paper on 2 shots! What? Went back to the Remy's to see if it was the scope. Dead on accurate. Are the light mag loads this bad on accuracy? Whats your guys experience on these? Any info would be great. Tx in advance!
The 308 light mags I tested in my rifle years ago were faster, and printed almost 2" for 5 shots.
This was from a gun that with hand loads that were about 100FPS slower would print 5 shots .5 or better most days.
I never had the gun shoot over 3/4" with handloads.
recoil was really noticeable as well....
Cat
Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM

The gun may simply shoot to a very different point of aim with the Light Magnum load.As far as accuracy is concerned,I have seen similar results as Cat where the light Magnum loads are concerned,the accuracy was not nearly as good in three different 30-06 and 308win rifles as it was with most other loads.