Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

When trying different types of ammo be sure to clean the barrel in between brands. After the barrel is clean it takes approximately 1 round per inch of barrel to coat it with the particular bullet lube that the type of ammo you are testing uses.

In my 20" barrel I clean it with a few passes of the boresnake and then shoot about 25 rounds of the type of ammo I am testing to "season" the barrel for that type of ammo and then fire the remaining 25 round into 5 groups of 5 rounds each. Then clean and try the next box of ammo. The first 25 rounds I just shoot offhand for practice and the remaining rounds are shot from bags to try and remove as much human error as possible.

This is maybe a little bit of overkill for most shooters but I enjoy trying to get the most out of my gun.

Before I knew this method I had purchased some expensive .22 target ammo and have very inconclusive results. Now that I know better I want to redo the test and see if fancy shmancy target ammo can do any better than cheaper stuff.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
cci quik shoks ....as fast as the stingers but boy do they open up a gopher.

I agree, they split them open ear to arse. They shoot pretty accurately in my rifle as well. But, they are expensive. Sort of a treat to use them.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
When trying different types of ammo be sure to clean the barrel in between brands. After the barrel is clean it takes approximately 1 round per inch of barrel to coat it with the particular bullet lube that the type of ammo you are testing uses.

In my 20" barrel I clean it with a few passes of the boresnake and then shoot about 25 rounds of the type of ammo I am testing to "season" the barrel for that type of ammo and then fire the remaining 25 round into 5 groups of 5 rounds each. Then clean and try the next box of ammo. The first 25 rounds I just shoot offhand for practice and the remaining rounds are shot from bags to try and remove as much human error as possible.

This is maybe a little bit of overkill for most shooters but I enjoy trying to get the most out of my gun.

Before I knew this method I had purchased some expensive .22 target ammo and have very inconclusive results. Now that I know better I want to redo the test and see if fancy shmancy target ammo can do any better than cheaper stuff.
Good advice
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Are you using the Winchester Super X solid tips, or hollowpoints? I've used the Super X hollowpoints for a couple years now and I get pretty decent carnage with them. I mean they don't blow gophers apart like my .22-250, lol, but there's usually guts spilling out wherever I hit them.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_85 View Post
Are you using the Winchester Super X solid tips, or hollowpoints? I've used the Super X hollowpoints for a couple years now and I get pretty decent carnage with them. I mean they don't blow gophers apart like my .22-250, lol, but there's usually guts spilling out wherever I hit them.

Hollowpoints. I shot a few gophers the other day and about half you had to look to see where the bullet hit. They were dead quick but hardly any blood. Maybe I'm to fussy.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Default 22lr

I have had good luck with win wildcats, in all of my 22s,
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM

i've got nearly everybody i know converted to remington yellow jackets. very rarely a missfire, very accurate and very distructive on gophers.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
i've got nearly everybody i know converted to remington yellow jackets. very rarely a missfire, very accurate and very distructive on gophers.
these are terrible in my .22 (marlin mod 60)....it is a great choice for sure....but for some reason (i think it is the shape of the nose) my gun does not like them...too bad though.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Through several rifles, I have found the CCI Velocitors to be the most consistent for accuracy and velocity.
Ditto for me - like a couple of the other guys were saying I tried several brands of .22 varmint loads, the CCI Velocitors performed the best with my rifle hands down. What I really like about them is that they are a 40 gr bullet coming out at 1435 fps - lots of energy on target, you can really hear the thump when they connect!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM

my vote is for the Yellowjackets.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
jrs

I've been shooting Remington game loads (think i paid $11 for a brick a few years ago) and they work well for small game hunting. We hunted jack rabbits and cottontails a lot down south with them and they seemed to do enough damage the rabbits never made it more that a yard or two. And jackrabbits are a lot of bunny, the big ones weigh 10-12 pounds. Maybe worth trying, my 10-22 had issues digesting the Winchester bullets my Dads 10-22 likes (wildcats). I've never tried 22 ammo that cost more than a couple bucks for 50 bullets but the game loads work well for rabbits, grouse, gophers, starlings, etc. I still haven't had one get caught in the action (Remington 10-22) after going through the first brick so they sure seem to cycle smooth. Only 2 more bricks to go .
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Federal 525 Bulk Pack Plated HP-Very consistent- kills squeaks dead.Plus I'm cheap.....won't part with the $ for Velocitors or Stingers or Yellowjackets, gets pricey @ 500+ rds. per day.....
Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Has anybody seen any of those PMC Zapper shells around?They were great, pretty greasy, but accurate and lethal, have't seen them around, like to get some more.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

I agree with gone huntin, those bulk federal hollowpoints mess up a gopher good enough for me and shoot well out of both my 22's, and cost less than 20bucks a brick. Another plus is that the federal solid points shoot to the same point of impact in my 22's so I dont have to re sight my gun when I go grouse hunting. And if BBJ thinks that their good out to 200 yards they must be a hell of a 22 load
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Yellowjackets. Sure they cost a bit more than bulk ammo, but the cost is still a tiny fraction of what my annual gopher safari costs. And really, I'd hate like hell to have my evening beer budget surpass my daily rimfire budget anyway.....
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM

I like Yellow Jackets. They kill pasture poodles very effectively and are very accurate.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm stilla fan of the super X's $16 bucks a brick at Bass pro last time i was down a bought ten bricks. at 3 cents a shot its worth throwing a few extra bullets into each gopher if you wanna see damage.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM

i've found those cheap american eagle hp's are most accurate in my 541s, from about a dozen different brands tried.
sighting in for the postal match coming up, i put 10 rounds in 1 3/4" over the hood of the truck the other day. lucky they work for me, bought 2 cases last fall when they were on sale at ufa.
for carnge, step to a centerfire. 10 gr of unqiue under a 50 gr tnt in my duce is cheap, quiet, and cool in the summer on the barrel.
and explosive!!
lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.