Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I'm thinking of leaning towards the remington sendero in 7mm UM or 300 UM the a muzzle break. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance.
From what you've said, I think either of those Sendero's would be great.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some of you seem to be very knowledgable, which really helps a guy like me. Also some of the forums on here end up being quite comical,when the arguements get started. I'm thinking of leaning towards the remington sendero in 7mm UM or 300 UM the a muzzle break. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance.
Yup, totally good place!
You might pick up a less expensive, lighter rifle to practise with as well the sendero,, that way you can mix up the rifles and won't wear out the barrel on the big gun too quick.
remember though, a barrel has a finite lifespan, so do not worry too much when you have to replace4 it.
It's part of the cost of high powder capacity, fast bullet driven barrels!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-18-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
hanks for all the replies guys! Some of you seem to be very knowledgable, which really helps a guy like me. Also some of the forums on here end up being quite comical,when the arguements get started. I'm thinking of leaning towards the remington sendero in 7mm UM or 300 UM the a muzzle break. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance.
Just be aware that the lifespan of a 7mmRUM or 300RUM is shorter than say a 7mmremmag or a 300win mag.I have owned 7mmremmags,7mmstws,7mmimperial mag,and the 300RUM,and barrel life does shorten as the case capacity increases.It isn't nearly as much of a factor in a hunting rifle,but if you intend to do any amount of target shooting,the shorter barrel life can be a factor.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
I would be willing to bet serious coin that 10x as many game animals are wounded and left to suffer and die, wasted and in agony, by casual shooter/hunter types, who drive the backroads "hunting" and I have seen a lot of this in my years working for the Forest Services of B.C. and Alberta.

Serious, knowledgable guys like "Cat" and ATR have the rifles, optics, loads and SKILLS to actually make lethal shots on game at extended ranges and are FAR more likely to humanely kill their game at 800M than most are at 150M, based on what I have seen in over four decades of hunting.

Soooo, I think that stressing proper gear, LEARNING/SKILLS and PRACTICE is far more relevant here than questioning the ethics involved....no offence intended, but, there is not enough concern for shooting skills in today's hunting, IMHO.
I could not have said it better. In my persoanl experience the few long range hunters i hang out with pass up 99% of the possible shots in favor of the 1% that are in the perfect conditions to make the shot.
Practice builds skill and with the practice comes the realization of what the individuals limits are.

A Sendero in 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag would do the job very well and you would have better barrel life, less recoil to contend with and far more options in ammo, which is an important part of the equation. Crap ammo will not make even the best rifle accurate. Remington ammo in my experience is not the best, nor is their brass when compared to some other brands available, so researching what ammo and reloading components are available in high quality may be something to consider.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

I was in no way implying that long range hunting is unethical, I can tell that lots of you guys know your stuff when it comes to long range shooting and are responsible hunters. I just figured that with all the answeres on how, I'd ask why. Even at 100 yards a moose seems pretty unsure of what you are untill he can smell you, I have a hard time seeing a hunter spooking a moose a kilometer away.
With deer on the other hand I can understand the long shots, they can be pretty darn tough to stalk. But I dont think I could head out after deer or antelope with a 7mm rum without feelling a little foolish. Maby you would need such a long range cannon for elk?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I was in no way implying that long range hunting is unethical, I can tell that lots of you guys know your stuff when it comes to long range shooting and are responsible hunters. I just figured that with all the answeres on how, I'd ask why. Even at 100 yards a moose seems pretty unsure of what you are untill he can smell you, I have a hard time seeing a hunter spooking a moose a kilometer away.
With deer on the other hand I can understand the long shots, they can be pretty darn tough to stalk. But I dont think I could head out after deer or antelope with a 7mm rum without feelling a little foolish. Maby you would need such a long range cannon for elk?
Larger caliber bullets have thicker jackets, so in many cases will do less damage to meat than lighter bullets in smaller caliberscreate.
I prefer to shoot what I consider small game like antelope with my 338, as seldom do the bullets expand much, they do pass through however so 1 must take care that there are not other animals standing behind, or you coould easily get more critters that you have tags for.
A 1/2 entry and 3/4 exit is normal on antelope with the 338s, I have seen some shot with 243 cal bullets in the 85 gr area that looked like a grenade went off near the goat.
Velocity changes things as well, a 7 RUM or STW with a light bullet would be very devastating on an antelope, partly on account of the thinner jackets that the 7mm bullets use, and partly becuse of the higher velocities.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Default long range

im an avid hunter, and a decent shooter, been hunting with
a 300 win mag and 338win mag for years very decent dependable
cartridges not that pricey easily availiable, I wouldnt turn down a 500 yard shot with either, knowing your rifle as prev mentioned a few times is KEY
ive never fired a 270wsm, been behind glass on many 270's love them
im a big ruger fan love the feel, reccomend one to anyone
my 300 is an old savage shes seen her fair share too, kinda feels long unless supported, couple of questions with a few replies tho?
1. ab tactical at 1127 yards on a moose what position where you ie prone, sitting?
2. cal have you ever hunted for sheep, or antelope these critters are
pretty hard to get close too, i dont creep very good so sometimes a long shot is the only shot
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger338 View Post
1. ab tactical at 1127 yards on a moose what position where you ie prone, sitting?
PRONE I know some pretty fine shooters none of which could make a 1000 yard plus shot standing, doubt many would even try a shot like that sitting even. A person is just no where near stable enough to shoot long unless either prone or supported on a bench or some bench like apparatus .

Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM

I hunt with my 30-378 Weatherby mag and can get out to 800 Yards. BUT that is in a Prone position and the rifle supported either with my pack or bipod. And i agree with the heavier bullets doing less damage, there going to fast to expand..as long as your comfortable with what you have..practise makes perfect. Know your rifle and its limits
Old 02-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks to all for the answers to my questions. You have been more than helpful. It saves alot of trial and error. From what i've learnt from all of you, I think i'm going to go with a Remington 700 sps and get the action trued, new stock and premium barrel or go with the sendero in 300 win mag. What do you guys think the 700 sps set-up would cost me. i'm trying to alot myself around $3500 for the rifle/scope combo.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

For either sheep or antelope you can knock them down at a fair rainge with a 25-06 or 270 win, no way would I ever go after a 100 lb antelope pretending that a 300 wm was neccessary. Not saying I wouldnt use one but that would be about the very biggest calliber I would use and I would readily admit to it being an overkill. I thought the point of the large calliber was to dump more energy, to me very small exit wounds means not much energy was shed in the animal. If big guns with a big bang, and big recoil make you feel like a man, you like the bragging rights in camp etc, thats great. But lets call it what it is.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
For either sheep or antelope you can knock them down at a fair rainge with a 25-06 or 270 win, no way would I ever go after a 100 lb antelope pretending that a 300 wm was neccessary. Not saying I wouldnt use one but that would be about the very biggest calliber I would use and I would readily admit to it being an overkill. I thought the point of the large calliber was to dump more energy, to me very small exit wounds means not much energy was shed in the animal. If big guns with a big bang, and big recoil make you feel like a man, you like the bragging rights in camp etc, thats great. But lets call it what it is.
I have a friend who shoots everything with a .375 H&H.
he brought it over from Africa quite a few years ago, and has killed thousands of critters with it.
When I first asked him why, he stated simply " because Ii don't need to own two big game rifles"
Seems okay to me.
Cat
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
If it was legal a 22LR is plenty for antelope in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot.
Is a 300 or bigger "necessary" for antelope, ofcourse not. HOWEVER you will find that the bigger calibers that have heavy jackets will do less damage than the smaller calibers do. Certainly most of the energy is lost as the bullet passes through the animal, which in my mind is the whole point. I hunt antelope because with a heavier than required caliber because I want to preserve as much of the meat as possible. It has nothing to do with compensating for anything, just an understanding of basic physics and anatomy.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some of you seem to be very knowledgable, which really helps a guy like me. Also some of the forums on here end up being quite comical,when the arguements get started. I'm thinking of leaning towards the remington sendero in 7mm UM or 300 UM the a muzzle break. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance.
Its nice to stay away from the belted cases if you can.

Bullet selection in 7mm is excellent and getting better in Alberta as there are more and more shops carrying Berger bullets as well as other excellent bullets.

Out to the 500yd range any of the std or short mags would do nicely.

Now the RUMs will be plenty of power but lots of recoil so the brake is a good idea but look into some good hearing protection. In the field the "walkers" might be a good idea to make sure you don't damage your hearing excessive. Doubling up on the hearing protection might be a good idea as well.

As for custom rifles best to get some quotes to get an idea how far your money will or will not go.

Once you start hitting @ 500 yards you will want to go farther...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
both are a good choice the 300rum would be my choice andis i have one
wth careful precise hand loading it should give you 1inch groups at 300 yards
out of the box
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Rope the wind how's the kick on your rifle? I'd like to get the .300, but really leary about the recoil.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
both are a good choice the 300rum would be my choice andis i have one
wth careful precise hand loading it should give you 1inch groups at 300 yards
out of the box
Any factory 300ultramag rifle that delivers consistent 1" groups at 300 yards is an exceptional rifle.If you expect that level of accuracy from a factory 700,you will most likely be disappointed.If you can consistently average under 2" at 300 yards with a factory 700,you are doing well.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 PM

Default 300rum

Hey newdrenalin, i have a 300rum and live in g.p. if you would like to try it out i would be happy to give you a go with her to see if the recoil is exceptable for you, p.m. me if you are interested
Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Newdrenalin the 7mm um and 300um would be a fantastic place to start. Very similar guns... pick what you like out of those cuz balistics and power are only 1% different.

just to throw my two cents in there i have a savage 111 FXCP in 7mm RM and love it. Just started handloading and getting some very nice groups(1 inch at 200 yards) with bergeers hunting VLD's and 4 inch groups at 400 meters with cheaper more readily available hornady's btu im sure the gun shoots better than i do. If you upgraded to the Accustock and/or accutrigger im sure you could get half moa groups out fo the box. Not a question in my mind. I have been extremely impressed...