Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2022, 06:38 PM

Default Picker moment

Like finding a unicorn,
A few years ago I bought a .54 Thompson center Hawken with a corroded barrel, it was a wall hanger on the same wall since the mid 80's the previous owners fired it a few times with pryodex then hung it up without cleaning.
I bought it for $150 other than the barrel it's in pristine condition I thought the parts were worth at least that, found out later Green mountain stopped making replacement barrels in 2009
A buddy told me he saw some Green mountain barrels at a gunsmith's shop in the basement I emailed the guy sure enough he had a drop in barrel unit, a Renegade 54 1" on the flats same as the Hawken I would have preferred a 1:66 but pickers can't be choosers

nothing like finding new old stock in the box

Old 11-12-2022, 08:47 AM

That's a win in my books. Good score
Old 11-12-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Like finding a unicorn,
A few years ago I bought a .54 Thompson center Hawken with a corroded barrel, it was a wall hanger on the same wall since the mid 80's the previous owners fired it a few times with pryodex then hung it up without cleaning.
I bought it for $150 other than the barrel it's in pristine condition I thought the parts were worth at least that, found out later Green mountain stopped making replacement barrels in 2009
A buddy told me he saw some Green mountain barrels at a gunsmith's shop in the basement I emailed the guy sure enough he had a drop in barrel unit, a Renegade 54 1" on the flats same as the Hawken I would have preferred a 1:66 but pickers can't be choosers

nothing like finding new old stock in the box

[IMG]http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?
albumid=2299&pictureid=11808[/IMG]
Nice find! Faster twist are better for sabots and conical boooolits no? Used to BP shoot a fair amount and it sure is fun. Used it to train our kids how to handle, use, maintain firearms (at BP shoots), very fond memories of family times when they were growing up.
j
Old 11-13-2022, 05:14 AM

Every once in a while I surprise myself at some of the things I’ve accumulated over the years. Made a guy pretty happy by digging out an original firing pin for a Winchester 88 recently .
Old 11-13-2022, 08:20 AM

Inlines have done what percussion did to flintlocks, traditional rifles and shooters are be coming rare, most gunshops only stock inline supplies these days.
My grandson (17) likes the old ways he prefers to shoot my Hawken 50 and Kentucky flintlock rather than the high powered rifles, this .54 with a 440 gr. conical will give his shoulder a workout.

There's a couple left if anybody's looking, these are complete drop in with sights, ramrod. Never heard of a .40 cal before

910140 40 cal. 32" 15/16 1:48
910210 50 cal. 28" 1" 1:28

Pm me for contact he's not an AO sponsor