Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2022, 11:25 AM

Default Mentally unstable person with a gun.

What would you do if you knew of a mentally unstable person who has guns and acts very aggressive? Is there someone you could call? Give them the heads up that this guy is a danger. I’ve known about him for 10 years and really keep my distance but recently a neighbour got into a confrontation with him. The guy brought a rifle to confront him. Obviously for intimidation. He didn’t point it or anything but definitely brought it.
We are way out in the country and it is hunting season but the mentally ill neighbour is not a hunter.
I keep expecting to hear of a murder suicide or some thing at his house. I’m not even sure he has a PAL.
Everyone around here knows that he is mentally ill but people try to keep to themselves.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:37 AM

Default question

If you have to ask this question then you are part of the problem. I know i am going to get flamed for this ...but to dam bad
Zeek
Old 11-07-2022, 11:45 AM

Dial 911

How would you feel it something horrible happened and you didn’t do anything?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Old 11-07-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
Dial 911
That's what's recommended on the RCMP Firearms site:
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...rearms-program

Quote:
To report a public safety concern
If your concern is urgent or life threatening, call 911 or your local police emergency number.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:59 AM

The issue with a complaint is that the RCMP will investigate and for them to lay chatges you actually have to have proof of what the person has allegedly done, and then testify in a court of law.
This type of person is very hard to convict as they are great at lying, plus you will never hear or see the end of them .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-07-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:06 PM

If you’ve taken your CFSC this is discussed in the course.

Would you let an impaired person drive while in an impaired state?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-07-2022, 12:07 PM

That's true, Cat.

I think that's the reason why a lot of people don't speak up. Even if the person goes away for a bit, they'll be back and they know who testified against them.

That was the reason a few years ago when someone poached several moose in a person's front yard. The landowner refused to press tresspassing charges, knowing that there would be retribution (fears of harm to person or property).
Old 11-07-2022, 12:10 PM

Default Firearms

If you can get through - 1800-731-4000, Alberta Extension 9026
Report a public safety concern.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:19 PM

The right answer is to call the CFC or RCMP about a public safety concern.

The problem with that was highlighted when repeated reports were made to them over the span of years about Gabe Wortman, and nothing was done, and then it was too late.

We have a system in place. It may work, or it may not.

The flip side of that coin is a malicious and false report of a public safety threat, because someone doesn't like you, and knows you have firearms, and wants to make your life hell. Red flag laws are a double edged sword. Make the right decision.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The flip side of that coin is a malicious and false report of a public safety threat, because someone doesn't like you, and knows you have firearms, and wants to make your life hell. Red flag laws are a double edged sword. Make the right decision.
Very true, TC!

The caller needs to base the report on fact, not conjecture.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:53 PM

Some of you clearly have some life experience and some of you are just damn judgy. It appears as if Cat has been through this. He understands very well. It’s been at least 10 years that I know of so it’s not urgent. It’s not a 911 situation. This is the first time I’ve heard of him bringing a firearm to a confrontation. His confrontations are numerous and aggressive. Not yet physical however…
I will have to see the video but it sounds like when he realized he was being recorded he set the rifle down. I believe the police are aware of him but he has never been convicted of anything to my knowledge.. I Don’t even know if he’s been charged with anything. He is fairly smart.
I would hope that if he has to get a PAL renewed they would look more closely. I suspect he doesn’t have one though.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:58 PM

I understand this very well. While I do dislike him quite a bit, he is a danger. I have a family. Definitely concerned.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:05 PM

It's a tough decision to make for various reasons, and I appreciate that you are wanting to do the right thing.

I've run into a similar situation (which someone mentioned earlier) regarding impaired driving, and reporting someone who is no longer a friend because of it. At the end of the day, picking up the phone is a hard thing to do. If you don't pick it up, the consequences can be devastating. You don't want to lightly do that, as it can have devastating consequences on them, but if they are genuinely dangerous, you can't let it slide.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
If you have to ask this question then you are part of the problem. I know i am going to get flamed for this ...but to dam bad
Zeek
I agree
Old 11-07-2022, 05:16 PM

James Roszko

Nutbar. Everyone knew it. Everyone scared of him.

Now, taking on a nutbar is something you have to think about. A lot. Because once you decide to talk to the Mounties, you are all in. The nutbar will be informed that you initiated the investigation.

Sometimes it's just best to find them jaywalking.....as you drive your 3500 with a brush bar......
Old 11-07-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Some of you clearly have some life experience and some of you are just damn judgy. It appears as if Cat has been through this. He understands very well. It’s been at least 10 years that I know of so it’s not urgent. It’s not a 911 situation. This is the first time I’ve heard of him bringing a firearm to a confrontation. His confrontations are numerous and aggressive. Not yet physical however…
I will have to see the video but it sounds like when he realized he was being recorded he set the rifle down. I believe the police are aware of him but he has never been convicted of anything to my knowledge.. I Don’t even know if he’s been charged with anything. He is fairly smart.
I would hope that if he has to get a PAL renewed they would look more closely. I suspect he doesn’t have one though.
By being motivated to ask the question on here, its likely that you know there is a significant probability that the problem will escalate.
I would guess that you already know what the right thing to do is but are looking for support.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
By being motivated to ask the question on here, its likely that you know there is a significant probability that the problem will escalate.
I would guess that you already know what the right thing to do is but are looking for support.

And the support will be online.....only.....unfortunately......

Best to consider yourself, your family, your place of work, your property before you go after a nutbar. Unless you are all in, ready to do ANYTHING at ANYTIME, up to and including taking a life.....because it may come to that.
Or losing a life...or 60.......

Potential is a dangerous word. A man falling off a building has kinetic "potential".... it is only realized once he hits the ground tho...
Old 11-07-2022, 07:20 PM

I view it as a duty to report whether you have a gun license or not. Nobody wants a tragedy & we also want to maintain firearm ownership & use for those who are responsible with them. Not reporting unhinged psycho's who brandish guns in a threatening manner is unthinkable to me. That person is not only a danger to others, but they even threaten the few gun rights we have left. That person is my enemy & the enemy of a safe society.

Of all the tragedies we read about, we don't need more. We've even had tragedies where the people WERE reported & nothing was done by LE. The Portapique RCMP imposter was reported & nothing was done. The Saskatchewan stabbing spree guy was called in by his wife for Pete's sake & that was ignored.

Report it yesterday if you ask me. Then call back repeatedly to check up on follow-through until follow-through has happened.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:53 AM

Wow! That's a huge case of worms you just opened. I have never had to deal with anyone like this when a firearm was involved. Run across a few that fit the description of the person you describe though. Total whack jobs. That said, deciding this guy is mentally unstable would be for a shrink ( personally don't place much faith in them, it's a very undependable science). Very tough to have him examined until he has done something wrong and by then it's too late. If you do decide to report him, check to find out if the authorities have to provide your name. Even if they don't have to disclose, they may do so inadvertently. I have seen that happen in a different situation. You have said, in 10 years there have not been any physical confrontations. If so, and even if there were, there probably isn't much police can do. So far, you can't be arrested for things that you may be thinking. Remember, in canukistan's legal system ( there is no justice ), the criminals have far more "rights" than the victim. Make sure yourself and your family are safe. From there I wish you luck with whatever decision you make!
Old 11-08-2022, 08:56 AM

So you told us he is mentally unstable. Because he brought out a rifle to the front door when he was talking to someone at his front door . I don't know the whole story .But I would think the person that was at his front door should be making the call .
Old 11-08-2022, 10:23 AM

If you didn't want it to be known who informed the LEO's, would phoning Crimestoppers and asking them what to do, be an option? I'm sure that's why it was put into place for, to remain anonymus.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:35 AM

Mental instability can be difficult enough to identify for those who sell firearms and those who issue permits. The public is just as responsible to inform law enforcement about unstable firearms owners as law enforcement is to protect the public.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
And the support will be online.....only.....unfortunately......

Best to consider yourself, your family, your place of work, your property before you go after a nutbar. Unless you are all in, ready to do ANYTHING at ANYTIME, up to and including taking a life.....because it may come to that.
Or losing a life...or 60.......

Potential is a dangerous word. A man falling off a building has kinetic "potential".... it is only realized once he hits the ground tho...
I am totally stealing this line to use as my signature line!
Old 11-08-2022, 12:40 PM

Justine and Blair have labeled us all a potentially unstable