Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The worst, and quickest, I've ever seen a rifle rust was one that was left in its case after coming out of extreme cold. But I'm not here to debate things, you do things your way, and I'll do them mine. And I will continue to purchase my rifles accordingly. A rifle that has fasteners and other parts that are so cheap that they will doubtfully survive regular disassembly for very long should be avoided regardless IMO, especially when it costs anywhere in the neighborhood of 1K.

YMMV
I didn't say leave it in its case long enough to rust, I said leave it in its case long enough to get to ambient temperatures. Maybe 3 or 4 hours.

If you pull it out of its case right away water will condense all over it. Leave it in its case for a few hours and it will come up to ambient and not have water condense anywhere on it. Leave it in its case for more than a few hours than the snow, rain sweat ect. will not dry off and it will rust quickly, within a day or two depending on the finish.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:28 PM

So here it is, ready to take to the range. Savage 110 Storm Lightweight in .308 with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight in Talley low’s. 6.272 pounds with no ammo in it. I’d call that a true light weight and if it shoots I’ll be keeping it in the cabinet for a while. The scope will be going into Korth to have a zero-stop CDS turret installed but I’m going to shoot it a bit to see what it likes and how it shoots first. So far I’m liking how it fits, shoulders and balances so here’s hoping it shoots.

I know it’s not for everyone and the fit and finish like I’ve stated before is not up to Sako Carbonlight or Kimber Ascent standards, but I was looking for a lightweight rifle that didn’t break the bank so at less than 1/3 the price of either of those options some things needed to be sacrificed.

free image sharing

anonymous photo sharing

post image online
Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 PM

I cant wait for range results. I have been looking at one in .223, not because I need one but I just think I need one. How does the stock seem for rigidity especially in the forend?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
I cant wait for range results. I have been looking at one in .223, not because I need one but I just think I need one. How does the stock seem for rigidity especially in the forend?
The forend has some flex to it. I’d say they’ve given substantial clearance under the barrel so there is no issue.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
So here it is, ready to take to the range. Savage 110 Storm Lightweight in .308 with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight in Talley low’s. 6.272 pounds with no ammo in it. I’d call that a true light weight and if it shoots I’ll be keeping it in the cabinet for a while. The scope will be going into Korth to have a zero-stop CDS turret installed but I’m going to shoot it a bit to see what it likes and how it shoots first. So far I’m liking how it fits, shoulders and balances so here’s hoping it shoots.

I know it’s not for everyone and the fit and finish like I’ve stated before is not up to Sako Carbonlight or Kimber Ascent standards, but I was looking for a lightweight rifle that didn’t break the bank so at less than 1/3 the price of either of those options some things needed to be sacrificed.

free image sharing

anonymous photo sharing

post image online
well done, love this set up
Old 10-31-2020, 07:15 AM

Looks good. I handled one in Edmonton (a .223) and liked it. As you say, lots of barrel clearance the comb shape is nice. I still think this is a great option for an affordable ultralight...
Old 12-12-2020, 10:46 PM

Any update on the range report?
Old 12-13-2020, 05:58 AM

One day and a hour or so at the range to sight it in at 100 yards. With Barnes 165gr TTSX factory ammo it was doing about an inch or slightly less. It was pretty cold that day so I was rushing things a bit. It was enough though to know it’s a shooter. Recoil was actually pretty mild for a gun just over 6 pounds with one round in it. I took the remaining stock spacers out to shorten length of pull to compensate for a bit bulkier jacket I had on.

So far I’m really liking it. Affordable, light, stainless, detachable mag. It will make a great package I’m thinking and I can’t wait to find a bull moose next year with it in hand.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:53 PM

So I’ve had the Savage 110 Storm Lightweight for a year now and figured I’d give a bit of an update.

I swapped out the Leupold VX-II 3x9x33 Ultralight for a VX-III 4-1/2-14x40 I had sitting on a shelf and probably will keep it on there. As thought, the rifle is a dream to pack and it fits me very well. Off the sled at the range it shoots under an inch all day if I do my part. Offhand my groups open up a bit but I still find I’m shooting it as good as anything I own. I’ve tried a few different brands of ammo and they all shoot good. I’ve been shooting the Hornady Outfitter 165gr GMX factory ammo lately and I think I’ll stick with it. It shoots well and with this rifle being used for shots mostly under 300 yards at game I should get full expansion from the copper bullet. Plus, our local Crappy Tire has dozens of boxes on the shelf.

Overall I’m pretty happy with it for as cheap a gun as it is. This is also the very first 308 I’ve ever owned and I’m really liking it. For a short range everything cartridge it’s starting to win me over. Very low recoil compared to what I’m used to even in a lightweight. I’ve always heard how you could find 308 ammo anywhere and now that I have one that fact has become very apparent to me. Go into our local CT looking for 300WSM factory ammo and there may be one or two different boxes to choose from. For 308, there’s probably a couple dozen different brands/weights on the shelf. Not a major breaking point because I usually look ahead and have a lot of ammo on hand for the limited shooting I do, but it is handy.

So, would I recommend the rifle to a good buddy? It’s not a high end rifle so fit and finish is not as nice. The gap between the barrel and stock is a bit excessive but other than that the stock is not bad. It fits me well and shoots so at $900 I don’t think a guy could go wrong.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
So I’ve had the Savage 110 Storm Lightweight for a year now and figured I’d give a bit of an update.

I swapped out the Leupold VX-II 3x9x33 Ultralight for a VX-III 4-1/2-14x40 I had sitting on a shelf and probably will keep it on there. As thought, the rifle is a dream to pack and it fits me very well. Off the sled at the range it shoots under an inch all day if I do my part. Offhand my groups open up a bit but I still find I’m shooting it as good as anything I own. I’ve tried a few different brands of ammo and they all shoot good. I’ve been shooting the Hornady Outfitter 165gr GMX factory ammo lately and I think I’ll stick with it. It shoots well and with this rifle being used for shots mostly under 300 yards at game I should get full expansion from the copper bullet. Plus, our local Crappy Tire has dozens of boxes on the shelf.

Overall I’m pretty happy with it for as cheap a gun as it is. This is also the very first 308 I’ve ever owned and I’m really liking it. For a short range everything cartridge it’s starting to win me over. Very low recoil compared to what I’m used to even in a lightweight. I’ve always heard how you could find 308 ammo anywhere and now that I have one that fact has become very apparent to me. Go into our local CT looking for 300WSM factory ammo and there may be one or two different boxes to choose from. For 308, there’s probably a couple dozen different brands/weights on the shelf. Not a major breaking point because I usually look ahead and have a lot of ammo on hand for the limited shooting I do, but it is handy.

So, would I recommend the rifle to a good buddy? It’s not a high end rifle so fit and finish is not as nice. The gap between the barrel and stock is a bit excessive but other than that the stock is not bad. It fits me well and shoots so at $900 I don’t think a guy could go wrong.
I agree. It looks like it offers great value, and no matter what anyone says, Savages are typically super accurate. Thanks for the detailed thoughts.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:35 PM

Default Savage 110 Storm Lightweight

Hi Positrac & others,

Thanks for the review and info!

I'm convinced it would be a good choice for the GF.
It'll be a hunting rifle so I'm not concerned about the recoil as it'll be carried more than shot, after it's sighted in and some practice time of course.

Now I just have to find a 308 in stock anywhere in Canada..... anyone?

Thanks again!

Quote:

Old 09-26-2022, 07:38 AM

Anyone got any long term reviews on one of these after a few seasons of use now?
Really considering pulling the trigger and picking on of these up (if anyone in canada ever gets any inventory)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70GOV View Post
Anyone got any long term reviews on one of these after a few seasons of use now?
Really considering pulling the trigger and picking on of these up (if anyone in canada ever gets any inventory)
I still have mine in 308. The action got smoother with a bit of use which was my only complaint and it wasn’t real bad to start with. For the price I think it’s still a good option.

I’ve never seen another one so feedback may be limited. They weren’t out long before there was supply chain issues.