Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 PM
fishnutz4ever

Default Carrying gun registration with rifle.

I was just thinking about something. I'm heading out tomorrow morn to hunt for a bit and head to the range at Sibbald. I have my PAL with me but have my new gun registration at home in a drawer (just bought a .300 win mag last Nov). I guess I should be keeping the registration in my gun case, just in case. Wonder what the CO's, cops, etc would do if I was checked? Got more locks on the case and trigger than you can count if that would help things.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Scott N

I've been checked by Fish and Wildlife probably close to 10 times since the registry became law and I have never been asked for my PAL or a registratin certificate. It's my understanding that Alberta will not pursue / enforce any of the registry crap unless a crime is involved. I also got stopped at an RCMP checkstop a couple of years ago while transporting my deer back home. The officer said "Oh, I see you've been out hunting. Nice deer. Gotta a rifle in there?" I point to my encased rifle and say yes, and the office just said "OK, carry on." He didn't ask me for any documentation or hunting licenses.

I've heard that the authorities get quite anal about this stuff in Ontario (who would have thought it?) and BC though.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:47 PM
osterb

technically yes you do.

I never do. Losing them would be a pain.

You've got 24 hours to produce them. Couldn't they just check it in their beautiful system if they doubted you? I thought 1 billion would allow that much :|
Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 PM
fishnutz4ever

Funny thing. I actually got checked by a CO this morning on the Forestry Trunk Rd as I came out of Hunter Valley Rd. He asked to see my licence and if my gun was loaded and that was it. He recorded my licence, name, and vehicle make in his little black book, wished me luck and was off. Didn't seem to care at all about the PAL or registration, just to ensure it wasn't loaded.