Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Herd Master

Default Youth Possesion Certificate

I see that between the ages of 14 and 18 a youth can not purchase a rifle so I was reading about a Youth Possesion Certificate for carrying a rifle during the hunting season . Does someone have some more information of this and what it will curtail to get my son up to speed, I was looking over some web sites but it doesn't explain the procedure very well . I know that once he turns 18 then he will need to up grade to a PAL .

Thx ,,,,,,,,,,
Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 PM
osterb

Default RE:

The minor's possession card is I think only $25.

Your son/daughter must have taken the CFSC and you send in your paperwork to pick one up.

It allows him to hunt with another adult with a license and carry a non-restricted rifle but doesn't really allow you much more.

It's another money scam (what isn't with this legislation) But if he wants to be able to hunt with you he needs one along with of course his hunting license.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:49 PM
osterb

Default Re: RE:

here's what the cfc had to say

Quote:
A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test.
Although I've heard they have to be under the supervision of a licensed individual,

I'm not sure but I think he mgiht have to get his license from the CFO.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Sniperwolf

osterb that is false! You dont need your minors permit to hunt. The Minors Permit:

Requirements: Completed the CFSC written and practical test.

Allows you to: Purchase Ammunition, Carry A Rifle (Meaning not only does the person you are hunting with that is over 18, but you can hold your own) and after sending your forms in, you have an interview. Depending on that interview, you may be able to be up to a mile away. It can range from 'within arms reach of the person you're hunting with all the way up to a mile away i believe. This is good because you can have, for example, your son sitting somewhere 400 yards away on one side of a ravine or whatever and you sit on the other side. IT all depends on your past criminal record and whats on your minors permit application form, and how the interview goes. A chief Firearms officer interviews the youth applying for the permit and his or her parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

So, there is a few advantages, and, with getting this if the dumb government doesnt make any stupid changes within the next 10 years or so the minor will then just have to re-apply when he or her is 18 to get the PAL.

With The Minors Permit Without the Minors Permit
-Can Hunt with licensed person-Can Hunt with licensed person

-Can Purchase Ammunition -Cannot purchase ammunition

-Can carry own weapon - Cannot carry own weapon

- Does not have to be within - Does have to be within within arms reach of person arms reach of the person
they're hunting with they're hunting with that
thats over 18 is over 18 and properly
and properly licensed licensed

A minor aged 12 - 17 does not need this to legally hunt in Alberta but this will ease up on restrictions. The minor still needs to have proper tags and whatnot.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 PM
osterb

Quote:
You dont need your minors permit to hunt
rrrr.....In NS you cant take the hunting course without having a gun license (unless you're bow hunting) and at that you can't buy tags without your hunting license..
Old 11-12-2005, 02:11 PM
bearbait

a minor must be 14 to hunt with a rifle in alberta!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Sniperwolf

true bearbait, with a rifle, except for 22's, which would be upland game. A minor aged 12 - 17 can hunt upland game birds and migratory birds beginning at age 12
Old 12-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Minors Licence

Default Minors Licence

You would do well not to rely on a vendor to sell ammunition on the authority of a minors licence.The thing is,prior to 2004 the minors licence was accepted on the above mentioned provisions.After january 1st 2004,legislation changed and the privelege to purchase ammunition for those aged under 18(even with a minors licence)was revoked.

Certain retailers that are less than current in regards to keeping thier staff informed on our evolving firearms laws (read:Canadian tire,Wal Mart,UFA etc.) will even now sell the holder of a valid(sometimes even invalid) minors licence ammunition.Most specialized...and I use the term loosely...gun shops(Wholesale,Pheonix P&D to name a handfull) will not accept a minors licence as suitable documentation to buy ammunition.

What this means is that buying ammo with a minors licence is technically illegal.And while the holder of said document might use it successfully a few times they should not rely on always being granted sale.

I had to hack this one out for myself a while back.