Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
pegusus

Default Bringing my rifles to Canada

Hi guys,
Got a question, I live in Texas but have a place in Alberta. This year I will be hunting up there with relatives ( hunter hosts ) I would like to bring a couple of my guns up and leave them. Is that possible? I know I just sent up a Jeep and Honda 4 wheeler and it was a little bit of a pain. So should I just bring the guns up when hunting or try to leave them?
thanks in advance
Scott
Old 02-24-2006, 02:06 AM
Dick284

Well it's kinda up in the air right now.
As the law stands today you have two option when bringing guns up to Kanada.
Option one is to go through temporary registration when you hit Canadian Customs, it cost $50 per gun, and if you do not do a legal transfer they will nail you in the paper work mix up when exiting Canada.
Option two is to obtain a Canadian Firearms licence (PAL) and register the guns to yourself the registration is free(the guns will need verifying to be registered) but the PAL will cost $60.00CDN(good for 5 yrs.), and you will have to take the canadian firearms safety course.
Again leaving the guns behind will require you to declaire where the firearm is and show you did a legal transfer of ownership, you might get away with I have them in safe storage with a licenced firearms owner, but I bet the Customs people will want names and address if that is the case.

But what I do recommend is to wait and see if the long gun registry gets the boot, if it does we will be operating in a much more open system.

I have a freind in Texas PM me and I can get you in contact with him, he has a PAL, and his guns he wants to bring hunting are registered, so he could give you his perspective on our screwed up system.
Good luck
Old 02-24-2006, 11:18 PM
osterb

Default re

You also need to apply for export permits.