Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Default Benelli r1 30-06 vs Browning BAR Shorttrac 308

I looking for a semi-automatic rifle for moose and deer hunting. So far I am torn between the Browning BAR shorttrac in 308 (either stalker, camo or regular version) and the Benelli R1 w/ comfortech (either camo or synthetic).

Both rifles cost around the same (~$1200). I've spent a ton of time researching online, and I can't find any really glowing reviews of the R1, but at the same time I feel like its features are better and Benelli is known for quality. I'm aware that neither option will be as accurate as a bolt rifle, but I do want a semi. I plan to get a bolt rifle down the road with a higher caliber (maybe .300wm) for longer range hunting (I'm a novice so I wont be taking any long range shots for a while now anyway)

Here's what I've gathered from online:
Benelli R1:
pros:
-comfortech recoil reduciton system
-smooth shooting
-picatinny rail
-possibility for iron sights
cons:
-inaccurate

BAR shorttrac:
pros:
-weighs a bit less than the benelli
-comes in 308 (I cant find R1 in 308 anywhere near me, just 30-06 and above)
-Browning has long reputation for rifles, Benelli doesn't
cons:
-more complicated to clean / dismantle
-I've heard of it jamming

Basically, from online research, I find both guns accused of being inaccurate, both claiming to have extra-light recoil, and both claiming to be the best autoloader for hunting available :P

I do plan to shoulder both, but I wont be able to shoot either of them before purchasing.

Has anyone shot both of these rifles? Any advice? I keep chaning my mind - find I was set on the Benelli, but I couldnt find any good reviews, so I was set on the BAR, but then Im hearing these newer BAR shorttrac arent as good as the older (and heavier) Safari mkii, so I'm thinking Benelli again. Plus, it would be cool to own a Benelli

Really hope someone here has had experience with both rifles, recently (i.e. not the older BARs).

any replies appreciated.

Last edited by jimbobby; 08-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobby View Post
I looking for a semi-automatic rifle for moose and deer hunting. So far I am torn between the Browning BAR shorttrac in 308 (either stalker, camo or regular version) and the Benelli R1 w/ comfortech (either camo or synthetic).

Both rifles cost around the same (~$1200). I've spent a ton of time researching online, and I can't find any really glowing reviews of the R1, but at the same time I feel like its features are better and Benelli is known for quality. I'm aware that neither option will be as accurate as a bolt rifle, but I do want a semi. I plan to get a bolt rifle down the road with a higher caliber (maybe .300wm) for longer range hunting (I'm a novice so I wont be taking any long range shots for a while now anyway)

Here's what I've gathered from online:
Benelli R1:

pros:
-comfortech recoil reduciton system
-smooth shooting
-picatinny rail
-possibility for iron sights
cons:
-inaccurate

BAR shorttrac:
pros:
-weighs a bit less than the benelli
-comes in 308 (I cant find R1 in 308 anywhere near me, just 30-06 and above)
-Browning has long reputation for rifles, Benelli doesn't
cons:
-more complicated to clean / dismantle
-I've heard of it jamming

Basically, from online research, I find both guns accused of being inaccurate, both claiming to have extra-light recoil, and both claiming to be the best autoloader for hunting available :P

I do plan to shoulder both, but I wont be able to shoot either of them before purchasing.

Has anyone shot both of these rifles? Any advice? I keep chaning my mind - find I was set on the Benelli, but I couldnt find any good reviews, so I was set on the BAR, but then Im hearing these newer BAR shorttrac arent as good as the older (and heavier) Safari mkii, so I'm thinking Benelli again. Plus, it would be cool to own a Benelli

Really hope someone here has had experience with both rifles, recently (i.e. not the older BARs).

any replies appreciated.
Both are good choices. I had a BAR in 3oo mag sold it and purchased a R1 in 300 WSM. Lighter and all around great rifle. Neither are that accurate but group good enough to kill large animals at up to 500 yds -what else do you need? Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default Things to think about

I have both guns .The R1 will shoot with any bolt action I have used.Removable clip with the R1,while the BAR has the floor plate with the clip attached.If you try them side by side as I did you will like one over the other.Recoil is not a problem with either one.good luck with your choice.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM

thanks for replies. I'm still on the fence so i guess ill have to see them both to decide
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Bought a BAR hog stalker....just to be different.
Shoots well....any misses wont be on the gun.
Tad front heavy tho.