Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 07:58 PM

Default What is the gun law on crown land?

This is an odd question but got into discussion at work with a good guy who said that a F&W officer told him that you cannot carry a shotgun with slugs in it out of hunting season on crown land. In fact any rifle unless you are specifically target shooting.
Now I haven’t been out hunting or shooting on crown land in 40 years so I have no idea what the law is now.
Example of out fishing and having a shotgun or rifle with you for protection from bears, cougars etc.
I do know that when I was out fishing or hiking back then I most certainly had a short 870 with slugs in it and had a S&W officer check my license and there was never any questions about having a shotgun with me let alone did it have slugs.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:02 PM

There is no law prohibiting someone from carrying a loaded shotgun or rifle through crown land at any time of the year.

Does your friend happen to be an easterner? They have laws out East like that.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:06 PM

See lots of guys packing in the Yaha mid-summer. Never know if a crippled horse needed to be dispatched, etc.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-26-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
There is no law prohibiting someone from carrying a loaded shotgun or rifle through crown land at any time of the year.

Does your friend happen to be an easterner? They have laws out East like that.
No he isn’t. He is a good guy just is believing what the fish cop told him. It was a year or so ago that he talked to him and the officer was really giving him the what he can and can’t do.
Oh and he also told him that only rubber bullets can be used for bear defence. Honest to God this is what he is saying.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
No he isn’t. He is a good guy just is believing what the fish cop told him. It was a year or so ago that he talked to him and the officer was really giving him the what he can and can’t do.
Oh and he also told him that only rubber bullets can be used for bear defence. Honest to God this is what he is saying.
He's either blowing smoke up your bum-hole, or the F&W officer he was talking to was incompetent.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:49 PM

I hate to sound like a total redneck, but carrying a shotgun in Crown land is legal (IMHO) everyday of the year. Regardless of what is loaded into it, I'm not going to go without because of hear-say from a CO when it comes to protection of my life.

I'll carry bear spray and a shotgun when necessary and use it if necessary. If I'm carrying the shotgun for protection, then it'll have a combination of slugs/large BB's.

I'm tired of government telling me that they/IT can protect me, but that's a totally different conversation.

And yes, you may now refer to me as a redneck (even if I spend too much time in the city)

J.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
He's either blowing smoke up your bum-hole, or the F&W officer he was talking to was incompetent.

More likely his buddy heard it from another buddy who overheard it from a conversation at Cabela's gun counter..
Old 09-26-2022, 09:35 PM

Can hunt rabbits all year round, no law says you can't use a slug on a rabbit, or an arrow.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
More likely his buddy heard it from another buddy who overheard it from a conversation at Cabela's gun counter..
Touchè... But that would qualify under my "blowing smoke" analogy, after telling the OP he got the info first hand.

The closest "law" I can think of is the "3 rounds for bird hunting with a shotgun" thing...

Old 09-26-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

It happens.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:02 AM

I agree it was most likely over heard at the gun counter at Cabelas. Had a idiot on the north side store telling me it was illegal to shoot binary targets on my own quarter section...I looked at him and laughed. I told you can get a permit from srd to shoot it on crown why the hell can't I shoot stumps with it on my own land.
His reply you have been warned.
And yes you can carry on crown 24 7. No issues.
I hear alot of you need to call the co to go shooting out of season back east and all these weird stipulations.
Boils down to rampant poaching so they have the rules to try and stop it.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:05 AM

No it was not over heard anywhere. It was from a officer outside of Sundre about a year ago.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:13 AM

Without being present to hear the question asked, and to hear the reply the officer gave, who knows what actually transpired. People often ask questions poorly, and listen to the answer with a greater degree of ineptitude, then translate what they thought they heard into total bs.

Firearms on crown land are allowed, being that animals like rabbit are open year round, and no cartridge/calibre restrictions apply.

There is however the nuisances that exist in the crown land west of Calgary, but I’m thinking that’s a totally different kettle of fish. This is about target shooting.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-27-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
No it was not over heard anywhere. It was from a officer outside of Sundre about a year ago.
Happened to me years ago,I was just getting out of my truck.It was around February,had a huge discussion with him.He wanted to give me a ticket,told him I would see him in court.He backed off.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Without being present to hear the question asked, and to hear the reply the officer gave, who knows what actually transpired. People often ask questions poorly, and listen to the answer with a greater degree of ineptitude, then translate what they thought they heard into total bs.

Firearms on crown land are allowed, being that animals like rabbit are open year round, and no cartridge/calibre restrictions apply.

There is however the nuisances that exist in the crown land west of Calgary, but I’m thinking that’s a totally different kettle of fish. This is about target shooting.
That happens not only when talking to officers, but when talking to other hunters as well, that is how people come up with supposed regulations, that don't actually exist. When asked where they came up with such nonsense, the reply is always someone told them, or they saw it online. That is why it is so important to actually read the regulations for yourself.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That happens not only when talking to officers, but when talking to other hunters as well, that is how people come up with supposed regulations, that don't actually exist. When asked where they came up with such nonsense, the reply is always someone told them, or they saw it online. That is why it is so important to actually read the regulations for yourself.
Reading, and reading comprehension, are hard.
Math and numbers are hard.

And you have the gall to suggest people go to the regulations, which then tells them to go read the Act and accompanying regulatory statutes.

I can’t see this ending well……………….

There are no absolutes
Old 09-27-2022, 07:52 AM

In general your question has been answered however there are places where you can not carry a shotgun period such as bird sanctuaries. Some lands prohibit carrying any firearm such as National Parks or Provincial Rec Areas. Others require a special discharge permit that permit hunting use only if accompanied with valid tags.

If you were carrying a shotgun loaded with slugs and you appeared to be hunting that could land you in some trouble should you not have the proper tags or be out of season. Likely it would be up to a judge to decide that one.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Reading, and reading comprehension, are hard.
Math and numbers are hard.

And you have the gall to suggest people go to the regulations, which then tells them to go read the Act and accompanying regulatory statutes.

I can’t see this ending well……………….
In many cases ,it's not that people can't understand the regulations, it's that they simply can't be bothered to read them. In fact, the majority of hunters that I have met, have never even seen the Wildlife Act, and some don't even know that it exists. For many people, it's easier to ask about regulations online, or worse yet, to ask a friend or relative, that has never read the regulations, so it's quite understandable, why they end up accepting the nonsense that they are told as fact.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
This is an odd question but got into discussion at work with a good guy who said that a F&W officer told him that you cannot carry a shotgun with slugs in it out of hunting season on crown land. In fact any rifle unless you are specifically target shooting.
Now I haven’t been out hunting or shooting on crown land in 40 years so I have no idea what the law is now.
Example of out fishing and having a shotgun or rifle with you for protection from bears, cougars etc.
I do know that when I was out fishing or hiking back then I most certainly had a short 870 with slugs in it and had a S&W officer check my license and there was never any questions about having a shotgun with me let alone did it have slugs.
You have the answer from at least two here that I know of that are certifird firearms instructors, as well, i hunted wirh a warden for many years and also know it is completly legal to carry a loaded firearm on your person all year round .
NOT in a vehicle however. But walking , yes .
Cat
Old 09-27-2022, 06:37 PM

Thanks to some for the help.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 PM

In the sixty’s a possum police was checking my dad and hunting buddies in the porkies , my dad had already filled his tag and the officer told him he couldn’t carry a rifle around , dad told him to “pound sand “ , that was the end of conversation . He carried his rifle with no issues .