Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
less than most of the posters in here.

Right, it's gonna be hard so we shouldn't even bother.
By all means go for it. Like I said call your buddy Justine up and he’ll get right on it.

Griping about it in an online outdoors forum isn’t likely going to move your ideas forward much though.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
less than most of the posters in here.

Right, it's gonna be hard so we shouldn't even bother.
Actually, it would open up a host of constitutional issues that would be incredibly disrupting I would think, namely first and foremost the native treaties that were signed by the crown. That one aspect alone would tie the country in knots for a long time to come let alone a ton of other aspects I cannot even begin to imagine.

Impossible to accomplish? Of course not... But certainly not as easy as it seems you are alluding to it being.

Let me qualify myself though by saying I am indifferent to Canada retaining the monarchy. I have respect for the late queen but I am not a believer "the right to rule", not that British monarchs actually rule anymore.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-27-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Actually, it would open up a host of constitutional issues that would be incredibly disrupting I would think, namely first and foremost the native treaties that were signed by the crown. That one aspect alone would tie the country in knots for a long time to come let alone a ton of other aspects I cannot even begin to imagine.

Impossible to accomplish? Of course not... But certainly not as easy as it seems you are alluding to it being.

Let me qualify myself though by saying I am indifferent to Canada retaining the monarchy. I have respect for the late queen but I am not a believer "the right to rule", not that British monarchs actually rule anymore.

There are a lot bigger fish to fry as they say.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
By all means go for it. Like I said call your buddy Justine up and he’ll get right on it.
I'll mention it to my MLA, he's a young guy, not afraid of a little hard work. That's the best I can do.

Quote:
Griping about it in an online outdoors forum isn’t likely going to move your ideas forward much though.
That certainly won't stop anyone, have a look around, we're moving mountains here.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

Oh for sure, I see your point but I don't think I alluded to it being easy. Is it time to scrap the treaties perhaps? Something to think about...

It's crazy to me that a site that predominately wants less government spending and oversight is all for paying off an entity that does essentially nothing, and ok with doing it year after year, over their and their children, grandchildren's, etc lifetime. Where is all the usual outrage?

Not to mention the GG, is that true, hasn't done a thing except sat down to read a yearly letter? What have we spent on that position of government? How much does that office cost, to apparently do nothing?
Old 09-27-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I'll mention it to my MLA, he's a young guy, not afraid of a little hard work. That's the best I can do.

That certainly won't stop anyone, have a look around, we're moving mountains here.
You’ll mention it to your MLA? I thought you were an all in kinda guy getting things done, not afraid to get down and get your hands dirty.
Or do you just like the armchair quarterback kinda stuff?
Your MLA is most likely one of those dirty royalist or at the very least more interested in not rocking the boat till the pension is secure

Why not go start a web page and a forum dedicated to kicking those Lazy Royals to the curb. You can show the country you really mean business !

Organize a rally and march to Ottawa ( empty your bank account first though, cuz. Well just to be safe ) you could be the next big somebody the country has been looking for.
It worked for Steven Guilbeault

Just to clarify. I am not poking fun I am not trying to insult I am trying to help you get to where you want to be.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just to clarify. I am not poking fun I am not trying to insult I am trying to help you get to where you want to be.
this is my favourite part.

the rest of your ideas were bad.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
this is my favourite part.

the rest of your ideas were bad.
You better get something going soon because come March the King is going to be looking at you for another $1.50
Old 09-27-2022, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
You better get something going soon because come March the King is going to be looking at you for another $1.50
Think of me when you willingly send yours in
Old 09-27-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Isn’t it that kinda thinking that gives governments the permission to spend wily-bully? A buck and a half here 2.00 they’re 5.00 over here and on and on. Soon we’re paying 30 grand a year in taxes and wondering why.

I really don’t care about the monarchy even less now that the queen has passed. Keep ‘em if they want a be here but not on my 1.50. If they want to be here they can do so at their expense.
Treaties made are done no changing that. I don’t see the connection between the crown and the First Nations. At the time the treaties were signed it was with Canada not Britain. It’s part of our history and history keeps marching on.

BW
Old 09-27-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:

It's crazy to me that a site that predominately wants less government spending and oversight is all for paying off an entity that does essentially nothing, and ok with doing it year after year, over their and their children, grandchildren's, etc lifetime. Where is all the usual outrage?
I believe the royal family owns enough lands and property to make King Chuck worth billions. I dont believe they are waiting for a cheque from Canada to pay for supper.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I believe the royal family owns enough lands and property to make King Chuck worth billions. I dont believe they are waiting for a cheque from Canada to pay for supper.
lol. And yet we still send them money and they willing accept with a standing invoice for the next 100 years. How do you think Chuck ended up with all that land? Hard work and bootstraps? Mom gave it to him without the inheritance tax applying to it? Where do you think mom got it?

The monarchy is just welfare. I make fun of it all and compare them to the Kardashians but it would seem Kim and crew worked harder for their millions.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
lol. And yet we still send them money and they willing accept with a standing invoice for the next 100 years. How do you think Chuck ended up with all that land? Hard work and bootstraps? Mom gave it to him without the inheritance tax applying to it? Where do you think mom got it?

The monarchy is just welfare. I make fun of it all and compare them to the Kardashians but it would seem Kim and crew worked harder for their millions.
For me, I have no real strong feelings, except that you remind me very much of someone who used to post on here. A couple of times.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:27 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.
Default Time To Move On

What do we exactly get for our $58-63 Million contribution to the crown? Not much, the occasional visit which we also pay for. I don't see a net benefit from our investment. If we took that money towards a more worthy Cdn cause we could do some pretty good things with it. IMHO
Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 PM
AO Sponsor

It is getting a little bit personal with the comments here people… clean it up now please. Nobody wants to see penalties.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-30-2022, 10:11 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

Nobody would be talking about abolishing the British Monarchy if she hadn't died...

Food for thought.

No offence intended, but that's ☝ Horse Excrement

The debate over retiring the monarchy here in Canada, has been
going on since the end of WWII, and some say even before that.

It's time we 'Get On With It'. 👍

Selkirk
Old 09-30-2022, 10:30 AM

Never have needed the monarchy, never will need the monarchy. They're nothing more than the Kardashians, simply tabloid fodder.

The Canadian constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The so called charter of rights and freedoms is just a bad joke. Both need to opened up, torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Feelings will be hurt, tears shed and there will be much wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. Might even get some people pouring ashes on their heads. But when the dust settles, this country might actually emerge on a path to become really become the True North, Strong and Free...something it most certainly is not right now.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:57 AM

I find it offensive I guess that we would talk about getting rid of the monarchy. My wife's parents came here into the late forties I believe.Her mother was from Windsor and he was from Slough.At years end the missus would be waiting whole heartedly for the queens message whereas he would rather be shoveling manure.Of course we all have differences as to the pomp it was just normal. Looking back at it all overthe years it has been part of my upbringing.I do have to say that the passing of Diane and the relationship of Charles with Camilla has been quite the spectacle. The old queen had lived through all that with great dignity and I hope that we keep the monarchy it's part of our heritage, And by the way I wasn't happy with losing our Union Jack..
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Away with the monarchy

I personally don't see any validity or value in the monarchy or further commonwealth membership. Yes, there would be a complete rework of Canadian governmental and legal structure due to deleting the Crown from institutions and documents. Cost us a pile, but not even close to the the profligate wastage that has gone on under the current regime, er, government. Just my two cents. And your mileage may vary. Subject of the Crown just doesn't have a ring to it...
Old 10-04-2022, 01:08 PM

Thumbs up I Like This 👇

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

Never have needed the monarchy, never will need the monarchy. They're nothing more than the Kardashians, simply tabloid fodder.

The Canadian constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The so called charter of rights and freedoms is just a bad joke. Both need to opened up, torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Feelings will be hurt, tears shed and there will be much wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. Might even get some people pouring ashes on their heads. But when the dust settles, this country might actually emerge on a path to become really become the True North, Strong and Free...something it most certainly is not right now.

That's not a bad idea ❗❗

Retire the old antiquated monarchy here in Canada ... and Fix A Few Other Things, while we're at it. 👍

We could call it; "The Great Canadian Reset"

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-04-2022 at 01:34 PM.