Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 08:19 AM

Smile “Homemade” resizing case lube recipe

Hello,

This is an excerpt from my response to the reloading room time post but I thought I’d share this separately. I put “homemade” in quotes as it uses commercial products but much more efficiently in my mind.

Homemade Case Resizing Spray Lube - Ive been on the same bottle for over 10 years!
Get a 2oz bottle of RCBS Case Lube 2
"This excellent non-toxic lubricant is water soluble and wipes off easily with no sticky residue. Use it with RCBS® Lube Dies or Case Lube Pad."

Pour entire bottle Case Lube 2 into an empty spray bottle of about 500ml capacity that can do a fine mist. Add rubbing alcohol 70% or higher to fill (about 500ml but mix is not critical). The higher the alcohol percentage the faster the dry. The Case Lube 2 will dissolve in the alcohol.

Place cases necks facing you and touching side by side on a cookie sheet or similar (I use a plastic tray). Aim a single or double spray to catch case neck (inside and out) as well as case body. Roll cases ever so slightly by shaking tray and repeat spray. When lube is wet it flows around case body. Let lube dry. Cases should now have a thin layer of lube on them like when you use a case lube pad. Adjust your Case Lube 2 dilution to match your technique and desired amount of lube.
I honestly keep topping up the bottle with rubbing alcohol until my lube feels too thin after drying. This lube is water soluble so it comes off easily.

This tip came out of necessity when spray lube wasn't easily available, expensive or not water soluble. I have never had a stuck case unless I was a dumb#$% and didn't lube - example just resizing a single case and figuring the die had enough lube in it.

One bottle of case lube 2 should last years and rubbing alcohol is readily available - although more pricey since Covid.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Max
Old 09-25-2022, 08:24 AM

I have settled on plain old mink oil meant for boots. Dab a finger in and give each case a slight rub. Simple, effective, and cheap. Almost exactly the same as imperial sizing wax. I bought a 6$ can at cadn tire 3 years ago and based on how much I have used it will last 30+years...
Old 09-25-2022, 08:41 AM

Lanolin and alcohol, 5% lanolin if memory serves, mix and into a spray bottle. Very slick, best case I've used. Spray on a paper towel and roll case in it. Life time supply for 30 bucks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2022, 09:38 AM

The trouble with lanolin is it’s messy.

I honestly have never found anything that can come close to Imperial Sizing Die Wax.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:28 AM

Imperial sizing wax or the Hornady version of same. No mixing, no mess.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:10 PM

Default Sizing die wax diluted?

Now you guys got me thinking of trying the same dilution method for sizing die wax???? Especially for case forming.

Lanolin - not always available, or pricey and not water soluble.

I like to size cases in volume so handling individually is too time consuming.

Cheers
Max
Old 09-25-2022, 02:11 PM

I LOVE hearing everyone’s recipes!

Thanks!

Cheers
Max
Old 09-25-2022, 09:22 PM

I’ve used the lanolin/alcohol mix for a few years and love it. I put my cases in a plastic bag, give a couple squirts, roll them around and dump onto a paper towel. No issues with the vent on the die plugging and they dry off quickly. I tumble them after prepping anyway so the residue is gone
Old 09-26-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I’ve used the lanolin/alcohol mix for a few years and love it. I put my cases in a plastic bag, give a couple squirts, roll them around and dump onto a paper towel. No issues with the vent on the die plugging and they dry off quickly. I tumble them after prepping anyway so the residue is gone
x2

Same process I use and I like the lanolin/alcohol mix. I'm still working on the 2oz concoction I made 5+ years ago.