Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2022, 08:53 AM

Default Anyone else shooting 28ga ?

Was out for pheasants yesterday and decided to take my Cooey 840 in 28ga for a change of pace. Shooting over a pair of wire haired pointing griffons .I hand loaded Cheddite hulls with 30gr of H110.....7/8oz lead #5....and BPI's HV28 wad for 1320fps or so the book says. Shot two roosters. Didn't seem to be any difference in killing power than with my usual 20ga.The more I use the 28ga the more I like it. The above load is safe in my gun but may not be in your's although it is straight out of the BPI book.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:57 AM

My goto load for our 28's is the same load and 7/8 Oz of nickel plated 7's.
Works awesome, but I have also used a BPI brush wad and 18 grains of 7625 with 3/4 Oz when hunting partridge as well as standard skeet loads .
Cat
Old 09-20-2022, 12:56 PM

I have killed a few hundred roosters with the 28 gauge, all with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6 loads. Out to 40-45 yards, it works fine, although the vast majority of my shots are 20-30 yards.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:13 PM

I've got 12's, 20's and a 28. the last couple years, I only seem to grab the 28ga for upland. I've damn near chased everything North America has to offer behind dogs and it drops them just fine. Small Quail to Bomber Sage Grouse, I've never felt like I was lacking. Might be time to thin out the gun safe, none of the kids seem to want to lug around the 12ga BSS lol.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:39 PM

Default 28's rock!

Been a huge fan of the 28's for years now. Probably have a dozen of them tucked away in the various safes and hidey-holes.
My "go-to" is the Fausti Dea I got from Cat years ago.
The added bonus of the 28 gauge, is you can literally throw a box of shells in a pocket and go all day without feeling it!
#6 shot at 1200 fps is the same killing recipe in a 12,20, or 28 gauge, the only difference is the size of the shot string. 3/4 oz. of shot out of the 28 v.s. 1 1/8 oz out of a twelve.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:26 PM

Default My favorite gauge

Learned behavior when I had some pointer people here toting them for sharptails on both Saskatchewan (Sept) and Alberta (October). What is not to like about a 5.5 pound baby frame Beretta when you check cover after cover and then look around to see how far you are from the truck and it is very much out of sight on the bald ash prairie. Sharpies pheasants chukars huns they all fall down boom if you hit them. guys from Ontario favored 1 ounce loads which I had never felt I needed. Square loads slap birds like a flyswatter instead of stringing the pattern out in front and behind them.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Been a huge fan of the 28's for years now. Probably have a dozen of them tucked away in the various safes and hidey-holes.
My "go-to" is the Fausti Dea I got from Cat years ago.
The added bonus of the 28 gauge, is you can literally throw a box of shells in a pocket and go all day without feeling it!
#6 shot at 1200 fps is the same killing recipe in a 12,20, or 28 gauge, the only difference is the size of the shot string. 3/4 oz. of shot out of the 28 v.s. 1 1/8 oz out of a twelve.
I have a nice model70 Safari grade in 375 H&H with a pile of ammo and a low powdered variable Leupold on top of your want to trade back that Dea!
Cat