Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2022, 10:47 AM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.
Default Red Knob Tuna Can vs EC Tuner V2 - Whats Your Experience

I’m thinking about adding a tuner to my rifles - CZ457 .22LR and Savage Axis II Precision .243. Some of the guys at my range are using the Red Knob and really like the results. I just saw Eric Cortina’s EC V2 tuner on YouTube. What’s your experience with either or both of these tuners? Or is something else out there that you deem to be better than the above tuners.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:56 AM

I have a the Tuna Can that I bought from another AO member and a fellow shooter has an EC tuner. We both find they are a bit finicky - if you tune for a certain distance then groups may open up at other distances. That’s assuming one is using good match ammo, tuners won’t make poor ammo shoot like match ammo.
I found I could get just as good of a tune with a Limbsaver barrel dampener. It’s a hokey looking rubber donut but once I find the proper position it will cut my groups almost in half. And it’s less than $20.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:08 PM

Harrell's are popular with the rimfire crowd and they don't need a smith to be installed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2022, 12:19 PM

Default I wouldn't spend the money to install a tuner on an Axis, but...

Piet Malan from Impact Shooting on YouTube has a new barrel tuner... Raptor Tuner is the name. And it would have to be shipped from South Africa. But doesn't need a gunsmith to install.

Quote:
The Raptor Tuners can accommodate barrels up to 25mm (0.984″).

The Raptor tuners were designed to work with APW Raptor Brakes and our Warbird Silencer. It is however possible to use with other brands as long as the nut on the rear of the muzzle device fits inside the tuner body.

Standard Tuner (4/5 Port Raptors) = 27.5mm. Large (Monster & Warbird) = 33mm.
https://youtu.be/2R-HIegg6fY

https://www.impactproshop.net/product/raptor-tuner/

Old 09-17-2022, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I have a the Tuna Can that I bought from another AO member and a fellow shooter has an EC tuner. We both find they are a bit finicky - if you tune for a certain distance then groups may open up at other distances. That’s assuming one is using good match ammo, tuners won’t make poor ammo shoot like match ammo.
I found I could get just as good of a tune with a Limbsaver barrel dampener. It’s a hokey looking rubber donut but once I find the proper position it will cut my groups almost in half. And it’s less than $20.
Groups shouldn’t open up at other distances
Old 09-17-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Groups shouldn’t open up at other distances
I didn’t expect them to. Perhaps, I am just not finding the proper node.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:32 PM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.

So the guys using Tuna Cans in my precision group don't need to adjust at different ranges, but do profess when you change ammo lots you need to retune.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:28 AM

That would make sense since different lots of the same ammo or different ammos are not going to run at the same speed.
I believe I have found an issue with the Tuna Can that I have. I will report back on that after I have a machinist or gun smith correct the issue.