Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2020, 01:44 PM

Default Early Season Moose Help

Any advice or tips for early season moose hunting. Typical pre rut bow season of end of August to end of September. My only prior experience with moose was when i got my rifle draw a while back, then broke my ankle so that was ruined. Then when dad got his rifle draw and we lucked out first day. So going into it pretty fresh and with the bow this year to make things even more challenging! Have had the cameras up for a while and seem to have found some sort of wallow and or natural mineral lick. Lots of cow moose and a few bulls. Lots of tracks and sign. All other cameras along treelines and willow clearings came up short and rather disappointing. So the stand is going up over the wallow of sorts. So i have the spot with good sign. For the early season should i just sit and wait patiently since its not the rut yet or should i already be starting to lightly call and scrape trees/bushed with antlers/scapulas and so on? Everything i read online about early season moose hunting says different stuff. Some people were saying to start bull calling and racking bushes. As bulls are getting rid of velvet and also starting to figure out who else is in the area and get in the rut mindset. Others were saying to not bull call and start cow calling. Others were saying to do nothing since its not the rut. So with various contradicting opinions, im here looking for some advice, and likely more differing opinions.... Have one month to see if i can find an archery bull. Anything within archery range that presents a clean good shot that has antlers is a shooter for me!

Thanks for any tips or advice its appreciated!
Old 08-24-2020, 04:46 PM

Sit and sit and sit some more. If there are cows and bulls in a spot they will surely return. I love a ground blind ya they are clumsy but the moose walk right past them. Do no calling they still have velvet.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:09 PM

I wouldn’t start calling until the last few days of archery season, you have a spot spend some time there and it should work out in your favour.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:42 AM

They will frequent mineral licks early season being as you know where one is.

Travel corridor trails along a stream/rivulet good feed lots of willows even better. trails leading to crossing spots on a river especially if it has high cut banks.

Top priority is Cool wet shady spots in a feeding area they have heavy coats already.

Otherwise spot and stalk, be out looking late evening once it cools off return at first light they will be in same general area unless disturbed overnight
Old 08-25-2020, 05:13 AM

No calling as others have said. If you know it’s a good spot, wait for the right wind and stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk