Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Banned

Post The Mentor

This is a BC Hunt, on the Island to be specific.
But I thought many that are introducing their Young Guns to our Obsession might relate...

Reminiscing over the near 50 years of my hunting career, I have found that many of the "goals" I set out to accomplish have been realized. Some multiple times. I still love it, and look forward to my time in the field most passionately. But through the last ten years or so, I have discovered something that brings a huge amount of excitement and satisfaction to The Game. That something is introducing new hunters to the right way of doing things, while hopefully collecting their "first" under my guidance. In fact, I have become so focused on this that at times my own hunts take a back burner to that desire.

Perhaps wrongfully titled, for the true focus should not really be on The Mentor, but rather on the Young Gun that is being coached.
Without further preamble, I am going to disclose the events that occurred this fall with one such undertaking. The report was drafted and written in a journal style, so bear with the daily happenings as they occurred.
.................................................. ..............................

At the direct request of a Rancher Buddy of mine, I have taken his young son in tow and am working hard to try and set him up to collect his very first Blacktail. The Young Gun is very proficient with firearms, having been well trained for years by both myself and his Pa. In fact, I gave him his first pellet rifle, then helped with shooting the 22 and scope that followed. Now he is up to a 12 gauge, and is very competent with it.

Although does are open in that area, he has noted he will not take one.
A lesson I try hard to instill in many over there - leave the breeders alone.
And further noted he is willing to go empty if he cannot take a buck.
There are six bucks I know of in the area.
Last night saw but a single old doe wander by, but his eyes were glistening with excitement even when we wandered back to the ranch house.

Guess a few of my Buddies are right in this regard calling me a vampire that feeds off the first timer's excitement. That bill fits!

Headed back out in a matter of an hour or two, and praying to the Goddess of The Hunt to reward this fine young man with a decent possibility to take his buck. If not tonight, hopefully soon...

All thoughts of taking another for myself are back-burnered until this is accomplished.
And if that means my tag hangs on the Christmas Tree so be it.
MUCH more important to me for this Young Gun to be brought properly into our fold!

So, like the title says, please send a little luck our way!!

Thanks and I'll letcha know as it goes...