Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Bullet drop compensation scopes - Leupold

I am considering either installing a custom BDC turret on my current VXII 3x9x40 or buying a new scope with the BDC and moving my old scope onto another rifle. Was wondering if anyone is using this system - any comments from folks that have either installed one on an old scope or are shooting this system?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM

BDC scopes can vastly improve your shooting results at further ranges than you normally shoot. This is assuming you can accurately range these targets. With my Nightforce BDC scope I have the abilities to hit targets that I can fairly safely say 99% of people could not make without this system. I can regularily hit a 6"gong at 880 yards with my factory Remington 700 LTR in 308, and with proper technique and good equipment most should be able to do the same. Go for the scope, you won't be disappointed in the right application.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm not sold on them for my hunting application. Things change at different elevations. Hold over is way different halfway up a mountain hunting sheep compared to hunting deer on the plains. If it would be used for 1 elevation then it would be very effective. I use one rifle for all my hunting so it would be out of the question unless i had different turrets for different elevations. Maybe i'm wrong, but thats the way i look at it. I got the M1 turrets installed on my VX 3 and love them. That way i can use different cheat cards for different elevations and never have to change my turrets. Just the card i tape to stock for reference. If you get the BDC turret make sure all your info is spot on and elevation for where you will be using it. But i'm sure they get all that info from ya anyhow. Good luck
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Bullet drop is just part of the equation, just as important is accurately predicting what effect the wind will have on the bullet and compensating for it.