Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Problem kitty cat on private land

Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

Cat is a youngster from wife's description
Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Been knowlage of a cat roaming our 1/4 since logging started last month. It has in the past been keeping away from the animals and livestock/home site. Last week had fresh tracks within 20 yards of the house. Dog was killed off neighbors deck last month.

How does a guy approach this? Not a cat Hunter and given every other 1/4 is private dogs become an issue crossing property lines.

*Cougar
Any person who is the owner or occupant of privately owned land may at any time of year, hunt (but not trap) cougar on such lands without a licence. Hunting with dogs is prohibited under this authority. Under this authority, registration is required within one week of the kill by bringing the skin and skull (or intact carcass) to a Fish and Wildlife office. A premolar tooth will be retained for aging.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes coyote and wolf) or black bear taken in accordance with regulations authorizing the control of problem wildlife set out in this part. The skin and skull of cougar taken on privately-owned land as described must be submitted at time of registration as noted, but the cougar pelt does not need to be further salvaged. Click here for information about seasons for coyote and wolf.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

The cats got some bad habits, maybe it'll smarten up, but, I doubt it, they are around more than one realizes, loosing fear of humans isn't a very good start to its life. The guy livin on my mom and aunts land by Twin Butte had two alpacas killed by a rogue kitty, hauled them up and over an 8' game fence, that needed medicine, a lead pill to the coconut. Not the type of animal you want hanging around, very efficient killers they are.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Just chalk it up too the fact that you live in the Country! Dog taste good when it's -40 C out!
Bluedog
Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Just chalk it up too the fact that you live in the Country! Dog taste good when it's -40 C out!
Bluedog
And then what do you recommend after you're done "chalking it up". Keep finding it dogs? I believe the OP was looking for a solution
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM

You’re allowed to shoot it so if you have the chance do so, it sounds like it has some bad habits and as a side benefit the other wildlife in the area will thank you, most areas in Alberta with cougars have too many anyways.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Sounds like the neighbour has the problem, what kind of dog did the neighbour have, was it killed and taken away or just killed. Was it tied on the deck or chased to the deck trying to get away.
If you decide to use dogs to chase the cat best to talk to the neighbours.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Appreciate the responses guys.
We bought this land late last year so history is short. We have lived in the area a while so this issue isn't new but the bold activity is.
I get land owner permits and such as stated.

I had some advice from a fellow trapper to put a radio out on low volume which should discourage predetory animals. No change.

We have two livestock companion dogs that do a great job
With everything up until this point.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
We bought this land late last year so history is short. We have lived in the area a while so this issue isn't new but the bold activity is.

I had some advice from a fellow trapper to put a radio out on low volume which should discourage predetory animals. No change.

I doubt a radio will help. Cougars are not afraid of human's or the noise they make. If you don't want to shoot it you may be able to get someone who can as long as it is on your land & they have given you permission. Having said that don't take my word. I would call F&W & see what they have to say.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM

What WMU? Is the CMA still open?
Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I doubt a radio will help. Cougars are not afraid of human's or the noise they make. If you don't want to shoot it you may be able to get someone who can as long as it is on your land & they have given you permission. Having said that don't take my word. I would call F&W & see what they have to say.
Only applies to occupants of said land unless its during the Nov general season.
Knowing the op's WMU would make it easier to give more accurate info.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Radio will make good back ground music on the video when you call him in and shoot him .. Dont mess around and assume he will straighten out his habits or leave . Next victim could be a child .
Old 01-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Banned

I would SSS or DIY a euro mount of the skull.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
I would SSS or DIY a euro mount of the skull.
Why? I would srm. Shoot register and mount
Old 01-13-2018, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Cool story bro tell it again.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Cool story bro tell it again.

I'd like to point out it's stupid to break the law when following the law is so freaking simple. Especially in this case.