Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Default Ice fishing whites video

I thought this was a good video worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V36Uo4yMKhY

No gobies here but that lure still might work...
This video also shows to give the bait a quick jerk up when they begin to turn away. You see that fin go up and you know you've got some attention back

I got the Aqua Vu mini this year. I think I'll try the 45 degree look up from a distance back at Gull this year. Hopefully get some good footage. Maybe do the same for whites at Pigeon. Cam from the bottom, flasher from the top...no escape!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Awesome video you made. Looks like lots of fun and will have to try that at pigeon this year. Never thought of using that type of setup for whites.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 AM

I wonder if whitefish here have the same diet they do in Ontario, I’ve read several articles about guys catching whitefish out there using all sorts of lures imitating minnows. Here I’ve seen very few people catch them on anything of size, mostly wire worms, very small jigs thumpers and wetaskawins.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Awesome video you made. Looks like lots of fun and will have to try that at pigeon this year. Never thought of using that type of setup for whites.
I didn't make it. I just found it online. And, I've always wanted to fish Simcoe for whites....one day! But yes, that setup has me thinking for here as well. I prefer sight fishing and having the flasher and cam pointing up has me thinking. A lot of setup but hey, makes for a more interesting day. And some days, fishing whites, you need that extra entertainment or you just might go crazy!
Old 01-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I wonder if whitefish here have the same diet they do in Ontario, I’ve read several articles about guys catching whitefish out there using all sorts of lures imitating minnows. Here I’ve seen very few people catch them on anything of size, mostly wire worms, very small jigs thumpers and wetaskawins.
My favorite is gold spoons. They love em! Plus, about 10x more interesting to fish than a wire worm. I go to wire worms out of necessity but not my preference if I have the choice.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
My favorite is gold spoons. They love em! Plus, about 10x more interesting to fish than a wire worm. I go to wire worms out of necessity but not my preference if I have the choice.
Like your regular small gold Len Thompson or like a gold Russian hook sort of style?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Like your regular small gold Len Thompson or like a gold Russian hook sort of style?
More Williams wobbler with lots of flash. If it flutters when it falls, as in out of sight of the hole, you got a winner! I get a lot hits out of site of the hole when this happens or have them chasing it in. Try and do that with a wire worm
Old 01-26-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I used mostly minnow imitations in Pigeon and Lac St Anne. Small froze. Minnows on a small jig head bounced on silty bottom was deadly.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin