Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Talking Lynx recipes-The Result!!

Hi all! I am expected to put on a wild game dinner for hubby and some of his braver friends and lynx will be on the menu...an older tom, apparently. I have not found anything useful online so am wondering who out there has cooked and/or eaten it? I suppose cougar and bobcat would be similar. It is very light colored meat, like rabbit or veal. I was thinking of doing some of it using a Greek recipe for rabbit called Stifado, which I have had before, and it was quite good. I have enough to do two different dishes.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

Did a quick search on google..

Canadian Lynx Stew 2 lb Lynx meat
4 tb Fat
1 Small onion, chopped
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1/4 ts Summer savory
1/4 ts Oregano
4 Potatoes, quartered
4 Carrots, diced
1/2 Celery, chopped
2 tb Flour
1/2 c Cold water
1 ts Worcestershire sauce

Wash meat well, pat dry, and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Melt fat in a heavy pot, add meat and cook until nicely browned.

Add onions and seasoning.

Cover with cold water, bring to a boil then reduce heat, place a lid on the pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Add cut potatoes, carrots and celery and continue cooking for 1/2 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.

Make a paste of the flour and water and add to the stew, stirring gently until thickened.

Just before serving add the Worcestershire sauce. Serve hot. Serves 4.

From _Northern Cookbook_ edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Information Canada 1973

Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Hi all! I am expected to put on a wild game dinner for hubby and some of his braver friends and lynx will be on the menu...an older tom, apparently. I have not found anything useful online so am wondering who out there has cooked and/or eaten it? I suppose cougar and bobcat would be similar. It is very light colored meat, like rabbit or veal. I was thinking of doing some of it using a Greek recipe for rabbit called Stifado, which I have had before, and it was quite good. I have enough to do two different dishes.
nothing like a good feed of ***** ,,,only eat the rear 1/4s and back strap, hang for a week ,do taste test ,if salty hang one extra week.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:35 PM

I would expect cat to be lean, so probably any recipe that is braised or slow cooked would work well...

I had a friend of a friend who said Lynx was some of the best eating out there... but he never said how it was prepared.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbhkX...layer_embedded
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

A little old Cree lady near Grouard Alberta cooks her lynx in a tall pot really really slow.

Salt and pepper is all she uses for "spices". When dill is in season she will add some stalks. Otherwise, none of that "whitey stuff" goes in to destroy a perfectly good meal.

Here is a secret: Don't eat lynx that are killed when they are breeding in late January and early February. The sex hormones in both the male and female sort of taint the meat. You can still eat the meat, but it is not as good otherwise.

The little Cree granny says lynx kittens are also very tasty, and do not require as much slow cooking as an adult.

How can one resist eating an animal that dines on rabbit and grouse?

The meat is better than chicken

Another little Alberta delicacy that outsiders no nothing about.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

Recipe

lynx stew

Lynx Stew (slow cooker) (game)

Ingredients:
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 celery pieces, coarsely chopped
5 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered, not peeled (1 inch cubes)
1 tbsp of peppercorns
3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
1/2 bottle of red wine
2 lynx haunches, bone in

Directions:
Prepare lynx by thawing if frozen and marinating in milk.
Place lynx and milk in a plastic bag overnight in the refrigerator.
Place lynx haunches in slow cooker, add vegetables on top.
Pour and cover lynx with the 1/2 bottle of red wine.
Wine could be red or white (it’s a good way to use up any half-bottles you may have already open).
Slow cook on low heat up to 1/2 day, or until the meat is falling off the bones.
Remove the bones and serve stew-style. Gravy can also be made.

Lynx is great table fare and is said to taste like rabbit or even “chicken”. It has a very mild gamey taste. When the meat falls off the bones, I thought of chicken thighs.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Crock Pot "Smothered Steak" - we've tried this using caribou, venison & lynx, all were delicious! - Pam Mather, Oregon, WI
1-1/2 lbs. any type lean meat, cut into thin strips (trim off any fat)
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt - 1/4 tsp pepper
1 medium onion - sliced thinly
1 green pepper sliced into thin strips (or to taste)
1 lb can of stewed tomatoes
1 - 4 oz can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
3 tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 10 oz. pkg. frozen french-style green beans

Put meat strips, flour, salt and pepper in Crock Pot. Stir well to coat steak. Add all remaining ingredients and stir.. Cover and cook on High 1 hour, then turn to Low for 7 hours. Stir occasionally. Serve over rice (wild rice is good) with good dinner rolls. Makes enough for 4-6 people.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM

do you know any orientals as they probably have quite a few recipes that wuold be good, stewing it is going to hide the flavor of the meat. I've had it roasted but know idea of the age of the cat.but it was good.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Dang I really don't know if I could down that. Maybe if I did not know what it was. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Dang I really don't know if I could down that. Maybe if I did not know what it was. hehe
Oh please.... McDonalds Big macs are NOW MADE WITH 100% Real beef...

LOL

What were they made with before? LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
let us know how the meal turns out, and how you perpaerd it
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Most old time trappers called Lynx "Turkey of the North". Geo Swingley from Pieceland area used to salt and pepper the hind legs and bake in a moderate oven. He used to donate some to the Cold Lake Fish and Game suppers in the 70's. They are tasty and much like turkey.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Default LYnx

Had it once to try and will pass if ever offered again. It tasted horrible! Maybe it was just the way it was cooked,but never again!

Pin
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM

Hi! Just thought I'd let you know how our last wild game dinner went. I went with a Greek theme and called it Zorba the Greek Meets Elmer Fudd, haha...I did the lynx using a recipe called Rabbit Stifado, made with lots of onions, red wine, sweet red wine, and a touch of cinnamon and allspice. The lynx was an older tom so needed a long slow simmer for about three hours. It is actually a very light colored meat and very mild. I also use some along with some beaver in a dish called souvlaki which is cubes of meat marinated in lots of garlic, onion, olive oil and oregano, then skewered and grilled. It is then served with a yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip called tzatziki. With that I made Greek roasted lemon potatos and sauteed zucchini. Dessert was Bailey's cheesecake, admittedly not Greek! Everyone loved it!!
FYI, a really good blog where I got the Stifado recipe is this:

http://honest-food.net/

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

Thats great.

I have a friend that likes cougar... but I've never asked him for the recipe...I think he just treats it like any other meat...

I just noticed that Tezma is now banned...hmmmm
Wonder what happened....I must have missed something...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM

I have friends in Montana that use cougar in a fondue. Lynx should work just as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Hubby shot a big badger the other day, and suggested keeping some parts of him for Dinner #3 but I was less than enthused by that concept, maybe because I had an up close and personal look at the poor guy!
My next project is to make some venison liver pate from the WT buck he brought home last night. Found a promising recipe on another foodie blog. I'll let you know how that turns out!!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM
sheephunter

Was reading another board last night and there was pics of a guy grilling up wolf steaks on his bbq......I think wolf, coyote and badger would be on my no eat list but hey you never know...lol He claimed it was delicious. Lynx, cougar and bobcat all have very light and delicate meat....good stuff. I've eaten beaver (yes the rodent) a few times and like it but an old Indian friend warned me about eating it cold.....lol Apparently porcupine is another really good meat....my Grandpa raved about it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Was reading another board last night and there was pics of a guy grilling up wolf steaks on his bbq......I think wolf, coyote and badger would be on my no eat list but hey you never know...lol He claimed it was delicious. Lynx, cougar and bobcat all have very light and delicate meat....good stuff. I've eaten beaver (yes the rodent) a few times and like it but an old Indian friend warned me about eating it cold.....lol Apparently porcupine is another really good meat....my Grandpa raved about it.
A little warning about porcupines. They are one of the favourite animals wildlife parisitologists like digging around in.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Plenty "meow meow in alley". Make good fly lice!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:10 PM

That pate turned out pretty darn yummy!! Here is where I found the recipe...

http://www.thekitchenwitchblog.com/c...pes/wild-game/

I only marinated the liver in buttermilk for a couple hours. Likely overnight may be better. I used Marsala instead of the cognac my bro gave me for Christmas last year! Taking the membrane off of the liver is a pain but made for some good scraps that I fried up in some bacon fat for the Wonder Dawg. Not sure if skinning the liver is necessary as my Cuisinart has about 100 HP...

Anyway, it's what's for appies when hubby and his hunting buddy come home from another day skulking around in the bush!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Hi! Just thought I'd let you know how our last wild game dinner went. I went with a Greek theme and called it Zorba the Greek Meets Elmer Fudd, haha...I did the lynx using a recipe called Rabbit Stifado, made with lots of onions, red wine, sweet red wine, and a touch of cinnamon and allspice. The lynx was an older tom so needed a long slow simmer for about three hours. It is actually a very light colored meat and very mild. I also use some along with some beaver in a dish called souvlaki which is cubes of meat marinated in lots of garlic, onion, olive oil and oregano, then skewered and grilled. It is then served with a yogurt, cucumber and garlic dip called tzatziki. With that I made Greek roasted lemon potatos and sauteed zucchini. Dessert was Bailey's cheesecake, admittedly not Greek! Everyone loved it!!
FYI, a really good blog where I got the Stifado recipe is this:

http://honest-food.net/
Mmmm how does one get an invite for some these dinners? Sounds absolutely delish!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:17 PM

Reviving this old thread. Just caught 3 lynx. Going to experiment

Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:37 PM

Holy thread resurrection batman!

this has to be some sort of record

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-11-2021, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Holy thread resurrection batman!

this has to be some sort of record
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 PM

You could make schnitzel out of the back legs ...it’s fantastic with cougar.

OR.....

Cut medallions from the legs or backstrap (must be pretty small on a lynx?), pound them slightly if they’re tough. Dust very lightly with flour, fry until brown in butter. Remove from the pan, add some chopped shallots, and mushrooms, cook a bit then deglaze with white wine, add the meat back in and add marjoram, sage and thyme (or use poultry seasoning), let the wine reduce by 1/2. Add a cup or so of heavy cream, pop the pan (lightly covered) into the oven at 275F and cook until tender.