Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 07:19 PM

Default Sea can as gun safe

I am thinking of placing this in my attached insulated and heated garage (30x30x16) and storing my guns etc in it.

I will be beefing up the locking mechanism. Any thoughts on why it would not work? We park outside so moisture is not a concern.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:26 PM

I would put a few small holes in it maybe a big bag of rice or some desiccant as insurance. Big risk but that’s just me I’ve got desiccant in my gun cabinet even though it’s in the house.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:16 PM

Contact the CFO. I had a chat with one about the fortified construction of a room that would qualify as a gun safe. They will give you good direction as their discretion dictates if it is considered safe storage or not. Hope this helps!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 PM

Good for you! Going to go out on a limb, and say your collection must be sizeable and fairly valuable. That being the case, if anyone ends up in your garage, they will guess the same. The bars, and hinges (probably mostly hinges if the center section is hard to get through) would be very easy to get through with a grinder and zip cut disc. The latch bars themselves wouldn't be too tough to get through with a hacksaw.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Banned

Sea cans are nice but way too easy to get in for a gun safe imo.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That's kind of my thought too. A dedicated safe has multiple bars/lugs that engage, some on all 4 sides of the door. Even with hinges cut off you aren't getting it open without cutting them. A sea can looks strong and secure, but false sense of security if you don't beef it up substantially. If you have welding skills you could maybe add an actual safe door. I'd also put at least 2 layers of 5/8" Type X Drywall in it for fireproofing. I could see doing something as a project, but wouldn't trust the stock door mechanism at all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-25-2020, 08:50 PM

It should meet the standards for safe storage? But will consult with a CFO.
But multiple safes=Lots of space taken up=multiple sets of keys and lots of safe dings....
Maybe with some engineering the hinges and lock could be upgraded?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:11 PM

I'm lovin' this

This is what came to mind...….from the movie RED (Bruce Willis/John Malkovitch and others

Safe storage for sure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Red_304.jpg (119.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
It should meet the standards for safe storage? But will consult with a CFO.
But multiple safes=Lots of space taken up=multiple sets of keys and lots of safe dings....
Maybe with some engineering the hinges and lock could be upgraded?
Oh I don't doubt it meeting standards for safe storage. It's just that you'll have a huge, inviting monolith that'll be noticed and marked... as well a mark! Plus it'll be in the garage, which is the easiest place to get into in your house.

Dust from working in there might be a slight concern as well?

You could probably beef things up, but with a grinder, pack of discs, and an outlet, someone can cut a second doorway right through the side!

There was a fellow Albertan that had a pretty good collection, so he built a vault in his basement. Someone must have known about it; so they broke in while he was on vacation, and took a few days to get into it. Your sea can might take an hour to make a second "door".

You might want to consider maybe an inconspicuous room or closet to fortify. It'll be more "out of sight", and can double as a panic room.

Pureblood!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM

All good points. I guess nothing is safe against the scumbags if they have enough time. The alarm system should give notice but that will still give them up to 30min to get to work on it. I should just sell them all and not have to worry about it anymore

Just kidding. That will never happen
Old 01-25-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's kind of my thought too. A dedicated safe has multiple bars/lugs that engage, some on all 4 sides of the door. Even with hinges cut off you aren't getting it open without cutting them. A sea can looks strong and secure, but false sense of security if you don't beef it up substantially. If you have welding skills you could maybe add an actual safe door. I'd also put at least 2 layers of 5/8" Type X Drywall in it for fireproofing. I could see doing something as a project, but wouldn't trust the stock door mechanism at all.
You can reinforce the doors but a zip disk on a grinder will make a new door on the side wall in about 5 minutes.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
You can reinforce the doors but a zip disk on a grinder will make a new door on the side wall in about 5 minutes.
It would take about 2 minutes to slice through 4 hinges. No matter what lock you have on the door, the hinge is the weak point.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:52 AM

If someone wants in they will get in. Have your rifles locked up in an unassuming place, and don't broadcast what you have, would be the best solution.
Most convenient, and cheapest, would be to frame up a small room in house plywood and drywall
lock it up. And call it a day.

Brad
Old 01-26-2020, 04:10 AM

Cement block is pretty easy to lay, fill it with lots and lots of rebar and concrete as you go. Use a reclaimed safe door and I think you’ll be as secure as you a can get.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Great idea. Make one door unlatch from the inside. Beef up other door. Maybe have the door down a hall to access. Maybe camouflage the can so people can’t tell what it is.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Turned one into a shop for somebody. The metal is very thin and easy to cut.

Grizz
Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 AM

What about welding a “net” of rebar on the inside, but offset it a bit from the sea can wall, and then have some 1/4 plywood on the inside , and then pump the cavity full of concrete. Will the concrete corrode the sea can wall?
The can is pretty cheap. Much cheaper than a gun safe. With all the extra engineering I think I should be $5000 all in. Then I can also lock up generators, power saws and some tools.
My logic says the scumbag will kick down every locked door in the house till he finds the guns. If he gets to my “safe room” he will use the same technique to open that than he would use on the sea can. I have unused space in the garage. Might as well use it.
But I appreciate the ideas and feedback. Keep it coming

Edit: I guess I could build a room out of those styrofoam blocks too.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
What about welding a “net” of rebar on the inside, but offset it a bit from the sea can wall, and then have some 1/4 plywood on the inside , and then pump the cavity full of concrete. Will the concrete corrode the sea can wall?
The can is pretty cheap. Much cheaper than a gun safe. With all the extra engineering I think I should be $5000 all in. Then I can also lock up generators, power saws and some tools.
My logic says the scumbag will kick down every locked door in the house till he finds the guns. If he gets to my “safe room” he will use the same technique to open that than he would use on the sea can. I have unused space in the garage. Might as well use it.
But I appreciate the ideas and feedback. Keep it coming
I agree with you. If they want them, they will get them. If they do, I have house insurance. Personally I only buy the cheap stack on safes from Canadian tire to make sure my safe storage compliance is met. If thieves want them, they can have them as they will be replaced with new ones.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Safe storage? Uh yeah. Guys walk into the range carrying a pistol in a ****y little plastic box.

My concern would be people seeing that thing getting pushed into your garage.....loose lips sink ships

A little like posting it on AO actually.....the world now knows
Old 01-26-2020, 10:51 AM

Sea Cans are not secure. Lots of construction companies tried them for storing tools and materials on job sites. All is does if give the crooks one spot to pick up everything. A battery powered cut off wheel and you can defeat them in under a minute. There are a whole raft of better options for about the same cost.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are a whole raft of better options for about the same cost.
I am open to suggestions....
Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I am open to suggestions....
Pm sent.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:12 PM

I find it amusing that many aren't seeing this as safe storage. I can just imagine the "safe storage" they are practicing. I have a safe inside a locked and purpose built gun room. The house can be broken into, the room can be broken into and the safe can be hauled away. That's how easy it can be done. The thing is, there is little anyone can do to stop an intelligent thief who is committed to a job. I'm still liking the sea can idea. The can itself can be hidden from view after first positioning the sea can into your garage and then building a wall around it. You could expose the doors or even enclose that. Give it a finished look that doesn't say I'm hiding a sea can in here.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I find it amusing that many aren't seeing this as safe storage. I can just imagine the "safe storage" they are practicing. I have a safe inside a locked and purpose built gun room. The house can be broken into, the room can be broken into and the safe can be hauled away. That's how easy it can be done. The thing is, there is little anyone can do to stop an intelligent thief who is committed to a job. I'm still liking the sea can idea. The can itself can be hidden from view after first positioning the sea can into your garage and then building a wall around it. You could expose the doors or even enclose that. Give it a finished look that doesn't say I'm hiding a sea can in here.
There's Safe Storage and then there's Safe Storage in depth. The longer it takes, the better.

Grizz
Old 01-26-2020, 02:48 PM

The worst part would be since its in a garage, they would probable use your tools to break into it.
If they know its there and have a bit of time they can break into anything.
Haha too bad you couldn't use it as a distraction or fake gun safe and have something nasty in it as a surprise?
Maybe make it a big trap. Just have a padlock on it so they can break into it easily. Have something valuable in the back of it so they have to walk in it. Then have something rigged up so they can't get back out.
Haha this is for information purposes only. Please don't hurt any criminals and please practice catch and release.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:56 PM

Best case scenario, it will take 17 min for me to get there. It takes the RCMP about 25-30min if they don’t get lost. I don’t think the location of the guns makes a difference (garage or in basement).They will go through the whole house and Once they find the “room” they will get to work on it, especially if the closest neighbours are a mile away. The appeal of the Beefed up sea can was so I can enjoy my guns without unpacking, digging, banging etc to get to the one I want to use/clean/cuddle with. But it seems unrealistic.
Rural crime is focused one one thing - guns. They don’t steal tv’s and dvd players. They know pretty much every house in rural western Canada has a few rifles stored somewhere, it’s no secret anymore. Insurance is really only beneficial if you have a total loss like a fire. Any other claim is really just a loan to buy your stuff back because your premiums jump up.
It seems concrete is the best, with a decent door with bars sliding in to the walls on both sides.
Back to the drawing board....

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-26-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Are you really safe

Safes, gun rooms, etc, thieves don't attack the front door, hinges or lock. They take an axe and cut a hole through the side or the back.

We had a safe room at work packed full with new computer equipment , and thought we were fortified enough. They went through a utility room beside it and cut through the party wall between.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Nobody said it wasn't "safe" storage. Safe storage can mean just about anything, from cheesy tin cans, to locked and fortified rooms and up. My issue is mainly that it is in a garage. There is a pile of break-ins happening in sheds, barn, and garages. Real run on garages in particular. Garages usually aren't tough to get into, and thieves know that there is usually tools and toys that can be turned over quick for a buck, and usually no security. Risk vs. reward ratio for a garage break in is much lower.

A purpose built safe is much harder to get into, and near impossible pick up and get away with. A heavy weight safe capable of holding over 50 rifles can weigh over 2000 lbs. with a few guns in it. Put that in the basement, and no one will be able to push it into the back of a truck easily. They also have some decent fire protection.

You could enclose it, but then you wouldn't be using the doors, just the shell. To enclose it enough to protect it makes the addition of a sea can shell extraneous. For a heavy duty collection, where you're going to spend thousands to protect it, going to the basement makes sense. Built along the edge you already have about a foot of concrete foundation and earth protecting it. Do something in the front, and maybe top for extra/fire protection, and you've got something. As mentioned you could hang an old vault door off it, and it would be way out of the average meth head's league.

To disguise something you could make a false wall about 6" off the back wall, and disguise a heavy door with a book shelf or entertainment stand. Likely not many people who visit would even notice the missing footage.

Pureblood!
Old 01-26-2020, 04:58 PM

There is a home in St.Albert one of our contractors/clients was working on that poured a concrete elevator shaft, and put in a true vault door, etc... a true secure room.

Nevertheless, when he came back from Mexico, the thieves got in by removing the drywall/studs from one of the sides of the vault, jack hammering the concrete and sawing the hardened rebar and steel bar and got all his stuff ............didn't touch the door at all, so, if they have time, the tools, and the patience, they will get into just about anything.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There is a home in St.Albert one of our contractors/clients was working on that poured a concrete elevator shaft, and put in a true vault door, etc... a true secure room.

Nevertheless, when he came back from Mexico, the thieves got in by removing the drywall/studs from one of the sides of the vault, jack hammering the concrete and sawing the hardened rebar and steel bar and got all his stuff ............didn't touch the door at all, so, if they have time, the tools, and the patience, they will get into just about anything.
And going through the side or back wall of one of those so called "gunsafes" would be no more difficult than going through the sidewall of the seacan. You can put all the pins and rods and gizmos you want on the front door, but when the side walls are made of 16 ga. steel....