Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 12:33 PM

Default Comprehensive Insurance of a right-hand-drive vehicle (JDM) in Alberta

Hi!

I just bought Land Cruiser Prado which is RHD and imported from Japan i.e Japanese Domestic Market (JDM). The good thing is that they are cheap , very low kms, Japan assembled reliability. Import law is that it should be 15 years old.

I like it so much I ordered another vehicle 4wd (AWD) Honda Odyssey absolute R2.

Now here is the problem. My TD insurance insist they can't insured comprehensive coverage only third part liability.

I called The cooperator and others. The cooperators price is too high and they are asking to pay full year premium.

Any advice, experience and recommendation with JDM will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM

I'm with Wawanesa and all they would cover on my 1999 Suzuki Carry was liability. It didn't bother me as that's all I wanted on the unit, it doesn't leave my acreage very often.

But yes, finding full coverage insurance can be a challenge with a RHD. Sorry I could't be more help. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:33 PM

They are realitivly cheap, what's wrong with just liability? What's the point in paying more in insurance over a few years than the car is worth??

Something happens get a new one.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:12 AM

I would guess the comprehensive is unavailable or very expensive because of the cost of repair. A lot of repair parts would have to be brought in from overseas, that can get expensive fast.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 AM

Same with my Ins, they will not cover any repairs on an RHD vehicle.
Hard to expect an Ins co to reach out parts and such.
Too bad too cus plenty of Landcruisers with the 4.2 diesels here where I’m at.
TBark
Old 01-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
They are realitivly cheap, what's wrong with just liability? What's the point in paying more in insurance over a few years than the car is worth??

Something happens get a new one.
True. I have Lexus Rx350 2008 but with comprehensive insurance. I think its not worth right.

I may just do liability to save money like you said. Problem with TD Bank is that every time I called them to add another used vehicle, they found something in the other cars insurance that is missing and raise my rates before even they discuss the vehicle which is going to be insured.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM

i wonder if the fact that our whole infrastructure is built for left hand drive vehicles has anything with insurance companies not wanting to insure vehicles that were never built to be driven in canada ?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Banned

You guys think insuring RHD cars sucks, Aviva dropped my CTSV because it has over 500hp, according to my broker. Apparently that's a new policy for a few companies. Their official reason on paper was "due to underwriting reasons" basically "because reasons" was their answer.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i wonder if the fact that our whole infrastructure is built for left hand drive vehicles has anything with insurance companies not wanting to insure vehicles that were never built to be driven in canada ?
It has to do with the fact that RHD vehicles are twice as likely to get into at fault accidents than other vehicles. In part due to the average age of owner of RHD vehicles being under the age of 25.
or so I was told when I was gonna buy a RHD RX7.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:

The auto dealerships did a huge push a few years back against RHD vehicles because they were afraid the market would be overrun with cheap vehicles. It worked because now they’re harder to insure.

I drove my RHD in France on multiple trips and never had a lick of problems managing them on roads designed for LHD. Do you realize how many vehicles cross from the UK into France and every day and they’re mostly all RHD. Very few problems arise from it.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
It has to do with the fact that RHD vehicles are twice as likely to get into at fault accidents than other vehicles. In part due to the average age of owner of RHD vehicles being under the age of 25.
or so I was told when I was gonna
buy a RHD RX7.
^^ this was a large factor.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

I drove my RHD in France on multiple trips and never had a lick of problems managing them on roads designed for LHD. Do you realize how many vehicles cross from the UK into France and every day and they’re mostly all RHD. Very few problems arise from it.
Please don't compare drivers in Europe to here. In light of the thread about new "back in only" policy at work, and the fact that Edmonton considered getting rid of 2 or 3 roundabout we have in the city is say driving RHD vehicle could be a problem
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

The thing about JDM cars is yes they are cheap, generally buckets of crap (whoa slow down there are some minty ones out there too) but they're affordable powerful and young drivers can buy them easily and then crack them up leaving insurance to pay out.

If you have Facebook join the 780Tuners group and ask which companies are insuring RHD cars.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The auto dealerships did a huge push a few years back against RHD vehicles because they were afraid the market would be overrun with cheap vehicles. It worked because now they’re harder to insure.

what a silly comparison
those countries deal with it on a regular basis we do not

and most of the goof s I. The past who has red vehicles did not know how to drive very well , hence the higher insurance rates
Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 AM

Smile Land Cruiser Prado

Here is my Diesel toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_59 (13).jpg (38.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I agree completely. The rhd is a hazard on the road to begin with. Give me one excuse why you need to have one when you get can purchase the exact same model that belongs on the road.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:32 PM

So how do you go about buying one? Many are saying they are cheap, but where can I look? I am not buying, just interested in looking it up.
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
So how do you go about buying one? Many are saying they are cheap, but where can I look? I am not buying, just interested in looking it up.
Thanks.
Jdm connection is one place to start.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I agree completely. The rhd is a hazard on the road to begin with. Give me one excuse why you need to have one when you get can purchase the exact same model that belongs on the road.
Why do you need more than one gun?

Lots of jdm cars have options that north American cars didn't. Some have more power, some have way less kms and aren't beat to crap like NA ones. Some are beat to crap though and held together with zip ties. Just like NA cars.

If you're a good driver rhd isn't an issue here. Go drive one, I'm sure you consider yourself a good driver too.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
what a silly comparison
those countries deal with it on a regular basis we do not

and most of the goof s I. The past who has red vehicles did not know how to drive very well , hence the higher insurance rates
So are you saying that we’re too stupid to handle it? Other drivers don’t have to do much if anything, its about the person driving the RHD vehicle.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks.
https://jdmconnection.ca/
https://www.velocitycars.ca/
http://jpnoid.com/

You can see direct auctions prices here in Japan:
http://pacificcoastjdm.com/

Last edited by Mohsin; 01-26-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:10 PM

Default Jdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Why do you need more than one gun?

Lots of jdm cars have options that north American cars didn't. Some have more power, some have way less kms and aren't beat to crap like NA ones. Some are beat to crap though and held together with zip ties. Just like NA cars.

If you're a good driver rhd isn't an issue here. Go drive one, I'm sure you consider yourself a good driver too.
I agree with you . I have land cruiser Prado diesel 148000 kms. I like it so much that I ordered Honda Odyssey Absolute RB2 4WD/AWD 95000 kms way less price than you think.

You can have Honda CRV and Rav4 less than 60,000 kms. Only thing is that it will be 15 years old or more .

You can see Subaru flooded all over Canada in JDM sales but I'm not a fan of Subaru due to bad experience with Subaru Cross trek 2018 and Centaur Subaru Calgary which refuse to offer warranty.

Surprisingly and trust me these cars have very few visits to mechanic. You will be able to master driving in the middle of the lines with in a week or so.
So much difference with the car assembled in Japan than NA.
Seeing is believing.

Thanks

Last edited by Mohsin; 01-26-2020 at 09:27 PM.