Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 02:43 AM

Question Benelli R1 vs Browning BAR Safari

Hey guys,new in the business,waiting for my PAL and doing some research about semi auto for big game. End up with two options Benelli R 1 and Browning BAC Safari. Pro and cons? Also open for different semi rifle brads will prefer 30 06 but try me. Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 AM

I have had 3 BAR's all 3 have bin good shooters,a little heavy but not to bad ,all cycled good .Never had a Bennali but have have always wanted one.Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 AM

I bought a Benelli R1 in 30.06 in the Spring. I cannot compare it to the other rifle you are looking at but I can tell you that the rifle is fantastic. I am going to use it as my big game rifle and everything about it is great. I have put a number of rounds through it to sight it in and it cycles smoothly, is accurate and the recoil reduction system makes it nice to find your target quickly again after you shoot. The stock is made from high end composite so it grips nice and feels awesome to hold. I put a nice Burris scope on it with a floating reticle and I cant wait to get out in the field and fill my moose and elk draws this winter,
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Banned

Haven't used a BAR, but I have a Benelli R1 in .300 WM. Short story, it is amazing. Probably not as accurate as a bolt gun, but that is just a given. Accurate enough to bag me an elk and a bear last year..
Old 08-03-2015, 03:00 AM

Thanks,still have time to decide- right now I'm more on Benelli but who knows? I may end up with both.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Default R1

The Benelli is a lot easier to clean as we'll..
Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Hi I have owned both a Benelli R1 and Browning BAR in 30-06. I ended up selling my bar and keeping the Benelli. Here is my take on each:

Quality of Construction:
Benelli wins in this category, when you strip the gun down all parts are machined and fit with good tolerances. The Bar is a dependable design but it just looks cheap in comparison to the R1.

Accuracy:
Browning Bar was very accurate and shot tight consistent groups. I have not actually measured the groups of either rifle but it always seemed that I was tighter with the Bar. This should not be taken as gospel as again I never measured the rifles back to back and I was simply shooting factory (typically federal premium) ammo. That said both were well within the range for me. I used both as my bush guns with most shots under 100 yards and never more than 200. I also ended up putting a red dot on the rifles so again. Accuracy was not of paramount importance to me, more the ability to get off several shots quickly... which is what each gun was able to do.

Cycling:

The Bar NEVER jammed/ failed to cycle on me once regardless of the type of ammo. When i first bought the R1 it jammed on 3-4 times in my first 20 shots and another 2-3 on the next 20. I was ****ed. I ended up trying different ammo and oiling the action up as well as the tangs on the Magazine and it has worked fine ever since, although it has taken me a couple of hunting seasons and several boxes of Ammo for me to trust the rifle will properly cycle.

Finish:

I have the black synthetic R1 and have a wood BAR. The finish on the Synthetic R1 is second to none, some synthetic stocks feel cheap and made of plastic (winchesters, remingtons) but not the R1, it also has an energy absorbing stock to lessen the kick.
Fit and finish on the bar was nice but not as good a the R1.

Functionality:

R1 is a detachable magazine. I liked this feature as it make reloading the magazine a lot easier. The Bar has a door the folds down that has the mag attached to it. Makes quick reloading difficult. That said both guns held 4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber so it was rare that I actually was in a position where I need to go to the 2nd magazine.

R1 was easier to break down for cleaning. Also is you want to use a shorter gun case the barrel on the R1 breaks down easily for transport.

Both guns kick well in the 30-06 caliber so be prepared to fire and have to re acquire the target.

One point for the Bar is that you can buy it in a dedicated left model, meaning it will eject the shell away from your face as a lefty. The R1 is only available in a model that for leftys effects the shell across your face. Not an issue for me as a lefty but might be and issue for some.

Both guns weight about the same but in my opinion the R1 has a better balance and is better for acquiring targets.

All of the things that made the R1 a better rifle were minor difference that for me added up. The Bar is an excellent rifle and if I did not come across an R1 I would likely still be happily using it.

Due to the fact that the Browning is likely more accurate, it I buying 1 rifle to be an all around work horse for bush hunting as well as long range shots, I would likely take the browning. But given that I have a bolt gun with a big scope and want a semi auto for bush hunting, the R1 is the better gun for this type of hunting.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Comfortech stock

Hey Chevelle,

Does the comfortech stock on the Benelli actually reduce the recoil? Benelli claims it reduces recoil up to 50%? They say the ought six recoils like it 243. I have a hard time believing that. Is there a significant reduction in the recoil or no?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Thanks Chevelle,is more than I was asking - someone to compare the guns face to face. You are BIG my man.thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Hey, to answer your question on the recoil. It is definitely lessened with the comfort tech stock but not a ton. My only other lesser caliber rifle is mini 30 (7.62 x39). The mini 30 in comparison to the R1 with comfortech stock is like shooting a pellet gun. I have never shot a 243 so can't say.

In comparison to my 300 WSM which after shooting 20 rounds can cause my shoulder can get sore, the R1 I can shoot all day.

All together the recoil does not bother me from an 'impact' point of view on the R1, only you have to reacquire the target to fire next round. If you rush it, you will be all over the paper. On my mini 30 you can pop off a bunch of rounds quickly and keep a relatively tight grouping.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Banned

Smile Comfortech vs wood

The felt recoil is noticeably less than the wood stock . I have one of each in 270 wsm. Felt recoil is about the same as a 308 wood stock R1.Comparing the BAR and R1 the later wins out. Hate the floor plate clip, set up with the BAR . If you reload you can get them both to shoot .The R1s shoot better than I can.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 PM

Default Big Fan of My BAR

Nice write up above, I have to cast a vote for my BAR mainly due to personal taste.... I have fired an R1 in 300WM and enjoyed it, I agree the fit and finish was great and it was comfortable to shoot with great balance. The R1 that I shot I didn't find impressively accurate at all......Not to say that it couldn't be.... I have an 2nd Gen BAR in 7mm RM Safari.....Love it to pieces now but I was disappointed at first, it sprayed factory rounds 3in groups at best but when I started hand loading for it, it became a laser beam, 0.5 MOA. I like old world guns with traditional fit and finish, heavy blued steel with wood so BAR gets my vote, My BAR is absolutely gorgeous but it is a heavy log, not a stalking rifle, it would tear your arm off.

Just my 2cents,
Old 08-10-2015, 01:30 PM

I have a BAR in 30-06 and love it. no issues loads quick no jams awesome rifle
Old 01-26-2020, 06:18 AM

Default my R1 experience

I am primarily a deer hunter and had used a 280 Rem. 760 pump with a Leupold 3-10 56.
We have a group of 6-7 the hunt in Manitoba and 3 years ago I started thinking about what rifle set up could improve my game. Invariably I am at a spot(driven hunt.....3 doggers and 3 on stand) where I have 3-6 seconds of visibility for a running deer. 70 yds -170 yds depending. The scope was difficult to quickly acquire the deer and the pump loses your aim slightly between shots. So, I thought I'd try a semi and it was between a Benelli and Bar. I have a Benelli goose gun I like, and liked the look of the R1 (270 WSM.) I order it with a Smitdt & Bender 1.1-5. The kit arrives and I start sighting it in over the summer.
I can't shoot a box without 1-2 jams. I try different factory ammo, with better/worse results , but after 3 visits to the Gun shop and the rifle to Canadian Benelli service, I lost confidence in it. I had 2 extra clips and began to think I had a lemon. I pushed the Gun dealer to replace it with a new R1 and have been happy ever since. No jams and very happy with the results. Thought I'd share.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 AM

This thread is from 2015.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talabadan View Post
Hey guys,new in the business,waiting for my PAL and doing some research about semi auto for big game. End up with two options Benelli R 1 and Browning BAC Safari. Pro and cons? Also open for different semi rifle brads will prefer 30 06 but try me. Thanks
so which one you end up buying and how was your experience in the last 5 years?