Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
One good reason to always avoid the low bidders EZM

I had one client who had all manner of things wrong with his house done previously by obviously shady contractors. The thing is, the issues were all over the place and of varying age. When I found out he got the house from his Dad as a wedding gift and then his generous Dad tried to pay me for his son's bill (but only 70% of it, this after working his way up from his 50% offer on my $10K bill ), I then realized there is a two-way street with the bad contractors. Sometimes its just as much the fault of the excessively penny-pinching customer who is willing to cut corners getting exactly what they paid for. Some people beeline for those false savings. That character got himself onto my extremely short do-not-work-for list.

If the price is too good to be true, it likely is.
Case in point. I will do any work you need done at half Cabers price. No warranty is included and 100% cash up front is needed. Will meet folks at public places without cameras after dark to collect payment.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
One good reason to always avoid the low bidders EZM

I had one client who had all manner of things wrong with his house done previously by obviously shady contractors. The thing is, the issues were all over the place and of varying age. When I found out he got the house from his Dad as a wedding gift and then his generous Dad tried to pay me for his son's bill (but only 70% of it, this after working his way up from his 50% offer on my $10K bill ), I then realized there is a two-way street with the bad contractors. Sometimes its just as much the fault of the excessively penny-pinching customer who is willing to cut corners getting exactly what they paid for. Some people beeline for those false savings. That character got himself onto my extremely short do-not-work-for list.

If the price is too good to be true, it likely is.
I've found you have to learn to read people, if you get bad vibes, walk away.

Grizz
Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
CaberToser 100% he is the go to plumbing guy on here.

I only know him from the forum but I know he is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Honest? I've never met the guy in person but I would lend him my truck or my dog without a second thought...
When someone says this about you, you know you are doing life right!!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
That's what you call, Poor Supervision.

Grizz
No project manager I assume.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:22 PM

Not to take anything away from CaberTosser as I have spoken to him in the past and he has helped me out by walking me through a couple things. Great trades guys like him are likely extremely busy due to their honesty and great work. If he is too busy, Dwayne from Pioneer in Cochrane I feel is a younger version of Caber, honest and really good at what he does.
If Caber is too busy or too far away, I wouldn't hesitate to call Dwayne either.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:01 PM

Lonestar Plumbing has done a pile of work for us over the years. Peter is good people. Worth a call if Caber can’t fit you in.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Another vote for Caber. Bought a furnace igniter of him on a sunday a month ago and asked a few questions and received great replies.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:33 PM

In Calgary, try Accell Plumbing and Heating. Nothing but good service from Dave Anderson (403-279-5777). He's busy because he's good.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:46 PM

I was happy with Caber... he explained things logically and his experience was definitely an asset
Old 01-29-2020, 04:01 PM

Another vote for Caber. Honest and does it right and willing to help you so you don't have to call him for the small simple fixes.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Jimmy Walls, is one of the best.

But he may not be willing to make the trip, he lives in Greenbelt Maryland.

LOL Sorry, had to put in a plug for my BIL.

I would agree, I'd give the work to Caber if I lived in Calgary.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-25-2022, 03:47 PM

^^^^^
spammers keeping mods busy today
Old 03-25-2022, 03:56 PM
Banned

Hi all. Basically we also faced such a problem. Of course, I am in another country, but it seems to me that such companies work in an international format. They helped me and I was satisfied.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:19 PM

Thanks for stopping by?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2022, 12:45 PM

Thread bump.

Cabertosser saved our bacon yesterday. Came on short notice to help me with a leaking shut off valve for our dishwasher that decided it was time to flood our basement. We haven't had the best of times lately and being off work from a life altering surgery hasn't been pleasant. It was a relief to have help when needed.

Can't say enough about a stand up guy and great help on short notice. Thanks again Cabertosser!
Old 11-22-2022, 01:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Caber is a solid dude for sure!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-22-2022, 01:34 PM

I still remember a time Stuart helped me with our **** volcano. Also scared away a meth addict who was carrying weapons coming at me. Also finding out we had a bunch of live natural gas lines we didn’t even knew was live.

Ahh the good times.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-22-2022, 08:43 PM

My ears are burning, but in a good way . Spammers bump this up did they? I wasn’t even paying ‘em or nuthin!

Sundances meth-head community visitor was a memorable one for sure, he eyed up the two of us and the pair of 18” pipe wrenches I happened to be holding and decided to skedaddle rather than start anything. Guy was trying car door handles in plain view. Hawc’s even joined the welcoming party. Good times indeed
Old 11-22-2022, 08:45 PM

Had to bug Stuart (Caber) this evening when one of our rental house furnaces quit. He has always been outstanding to deal with. Tough part of the job is being on call all the time, but have really appreciated his great attitude and honesty.

Wouldn’t waste your time looking for anyone else!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2022, 08:54 PM

Kind of amusing that this thread popped up while I’m sitting in the Rockyview ER waiting room (nothing remotely major) & it’s got a rich guys picture on the wall who was a former client years back. You must have to donate a lot to get the ER named after you….