Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Default YYC Calgary International has added new runway

I see on the news this morning , that a Piper (?) Navaho ( Twin engine,6 seat ) plane did a forced landing at about 5:45 am this morning ..." ON " 36th Street NE ,
between 16th Ave and Memerorial Dr .
The plane landed safely , short of tearing about two feet off it's right wing , came to a stop , and all six people got out of the plane , just as if they had gotten to where there head headed ( I guessing of change of pants may have been required by some ) .

I'm not sure if the plane was coming into Calgary or more so , I'm guessing , had just taken off from Calgary. And at this time , I'm not sure what the problem was .

But I would have to say , that between how windy it was reported to be at that time , and the amount of power lines and LRT track and lines , and traffic on the road ( luckly not to much this early ) not to mention the narrowness of the road ( do believe that the runways at YYC are a tad wider ) , the job that this pilot did landing this plane , will get compared to the landing on the Hudson ( much smaller scale of course ) .

Will be interesting to see more about it .

( sorry , I have no idea how to post a link )
Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM

The plane had departed from Medicine Hat and reportedly ran low on fuel, naturally the pilot probably could not afford to fill it due to the recent price spike so he just had the attendant put in $15 and clean the windows. This traffic snarl is therefore the NDP's fault
Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM

Here's a link....

https://globalnews.ca/news/4166785/p...lgary-roadway/
Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Calgary is uphill from Medicine Hat and you get a head wind. Everybody knows that.. Did you put any gas in Marvin...
Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM

The pilot did a good job of landing that plane.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The plane had departed from Medicine Hat and reportedly ran low on fuel, naturally the pilot probably could not afford to fill it due to the recent price spike so he just had the attendant put in $15 and clean the windows. This traffic snarl is therefore the NDP's fault
Ha!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM

AGAIN ??

Did a tour of the new control tower several years ago with a group of other pilots, where flight controllers described a US pilot making a nice tight landing and coming to a stop right at the bast of the tower.

Pilot complained about how it might not be such a good idea to have the tower right at the end of the runway. Tower replied they didn't have too many people who wanted to land on their taxi-way.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM

How do you not have enough fuel in your plane from Medicine Hat?

Engine failure I can see but not enough fuel....Unless the fuel line or tank had a leak...I guess anything is possible....
Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
How do you not have enough fuel in your plane from Medicine Hat?

Engine failure I can see but not enough fuel....Unless the fuel line or tank had a leak...I guess anything is possible....
Heard the pilot request a priority landing because she had lost a fuel pump.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
That I can believe but if running out of gas ends up being the issue, I don't think I would fly with that company
Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 PM

Kinda handy, step outta the plane and straight into a cab, beats hell outta all that YYC terminal runaround.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Banned

What we have here is another Sully
Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Just watched the PVR news. The gal flying that thing really deserves a commendation. She landed with the flow of traffic, no one hurt, very little property damage. The ends of the wings on that plane are brushed off from hitting light standards, yet everyone is safe!!

After Humboldt & TO, this is a feel good story not getting enough air time.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
She had 6 fuel pumps onboard.

PA31 fuel system:

Fuel pumps. 3 per engine.

1. Low Pressure Boost Pumps.
Each engine is fitted with a low pressure boost pump which provides 10PSI of positive pressure from the moment the master is turned on.
This 10PSI can be used for priming but is primarily in place to provide a constant flow of fuel to the high pressure engine driven fuel pump and thus prevent cavitation. Sometimes called the altitude pump.

2.High Pressure Boost Pump. Engine driven.

A positive displacement VANE type pump. High pressure with greater capacity than engine demand.
Pump outlet fuel pressure passes through an orifice affected by turbo output pressure and before entering relief valve chamber thus making pump delivery pressure proportional to engine speed.

3. Emergency pump. Used for every take off and landing. Also used if one of the other pumps fail. The emergency fuel pump should be used to get you to the destination or alternate airport. Not to be used in place of the low pressure boost pump. In other words, get it fixed before the next take off.

Fuel tanks. Two per wing. Inboards are the main tanks which are used for take off and landing. The outboards are used in cruise. The inboards hold 53 usable per side, and the outboards hold 36 usable per side.

The fuel tank selector valves are located at the bottom of the throttle quadrant. Each wing has its own control, which are outboard, off and inboard. To select a different position, there is a pin type lock that must be lifted, then the lever can be moved to the desired tank. Make sure the pin locks into the hole of the new position. There is a cross feed system on the fuel system.

That all said, most pilots who have dealt with either fuel mismanagement or no fuel scenarios in the PA31 end up rolling them into a ball on the forced landing and killing everyone. She, dealing with a heavy passenger load, with baggage no doubt, and perhaps a young low time copilot who was probably so scared they were of little use, put that thing down gently in a space of road most aircraft carrier pilots would have thought not possible.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine View Post

PA31 fuel system:

Each engine is fitted with a low pressure boost pump which provides 10PSI of positive pressure from the moment the master is turned on.
This 10PSI can be used for priming but is primarily in place to provide a constant flow of fuel to the high pressure engine driven fuel pump and thus prevent cavitation. Sometimes called the altitude pump.

A positive displacement VANE type pump. High pressure with greater capacity than engine demand.
Pump outlet fuel pressure passes through an orifice affected by turbo output pressure and before entering relief valve chamber thus making pump delivery pressure proportional to engine speed.

3. Emergency pump. Used for every take off and landing. Also used if one of the other pumps fail. The emergency fuel pump should be used to get you to the destination or alternate airport. Not to be used in place of the low pressure boost pump. In other words, get it fixed before the next take off.

Fuel tanks. Two per wing. Inboards are the main tanks which are used for take off and landing. The outboards are used in cruise. The inboards hold 53 usable per side, and the outboards hold 36 usable per side.

The fuel tank selector valves are located at the bottom of the throttle quadrant. Each wing has its own control, which are outboard, off and inboard. To select a different position, there is a pin type lock that must be lifted, then the lever can be moved to the desired tank. Make sure the pin locks into the hole of the new position. There is a cross feed system on the fuel system.

That all said, most pilots who have dealt with either fuel mismanagement or no fuel scenarios in the PA31 end up rolling them into a ball on the forced landing and killing everyone. She, dealing with a heavy passenger load, with baggage no doubt, and perhaps a young low time copilot who was probably so scared they were of little use, put that thing down gently in a space of road most aircraft carrier pilots would have thought not possible.
Do you fly a PA-31-350?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine View Post

PA31 fuel system:

I'm guessing that the pilot wasn't thinking of the technical side of the problem in an emergency situation.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Do you fly a PA-31-350?
Thanks Weedy, no. I got the pump tech breakdown info from 'Zeldman' on the Pilots of America forum. He explains it better than even the manual does. I tried to edit and add a credit header above breakdown comments late last night as I was posting and add italics, but had trouble with it, gave up and went to bed. This morning and now, it wont let me edit it at all. Asked a mod to help so maybe I can eventually.

I used to work at International Jet Air on Palmer Road on YYC Intl back in the 80's and we had many tenant Navajo and Chieftain in our hangars. I knew they had multiple pumps side to side with and paid close attention as a youngish pilot wannabe whenever fuel management was discussed. I got to fly in many PA birds during that era. What always amazed me that these PA31 to PA42 series airplanes were all designated single pilot. They are complex airplanes. They are a big step up workload wise from most light twins.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM

I'm guessing she didn't take enough fuel. If there was a pump failure it would have affected only one side and she could have made the airport on the other engine. Either that or fuel mismanagement i.e. not selecting the fuller tanks when required.