Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 11:30 PM

Default Quest Trade

Just curious if anyone uses Quest Trade or Wealthsimple to manage there investments. I am currently have one of the big banks managing everything and I have not been real happy with the results. I feel like there is some opportunities being missed. The commercials for Quest Trade sure make it sound like I have my money in the wrong spot. Haha. But just looking for some real world experiences.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-05-2024, 09:04 AM

I do. I like it, though I really only use it to buy XEQT once a month and let it ride.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:02 AM

I've got some with Questrade - their ETF fund. It has averaged over 8% growth annually since I got into it (26% in 3 years). Fairly simple and you don't get killed on fees. Everything is done online, not sure I've interacted with a real person other than when I forgot to renew my investor portfolio questionnaire.

If you want something completely hands off then it is a good option. If you need constant reassurance from an investment banker or like to be hands on there are better options.

I also have about the same amount with one of the major banks in one of their mutual funds, and have an active investment account, so perhaps spreading it around some is an option to consider.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:21 AM

Yep, I've been with them for just over three years. No major concerns. There is no fee from them for buying ETF's which is great. I do my own buying, so I can't speak to their automated package deals.

If you are looking to be an active trader, there are better platforms.

Million Dollar Journey has a good breakdown of their fees vs other platforms. https://milliondollarjourney.com/questrade-review.htm
Old 04-05-2024, 11:39 AM

I started using Questrade in 2019, and then Wealthsimple in 2021. I was using both at the same time for almost 3 years before I recently decided to move my Questrade holdings over to Wealthsimple with an in-kind transfer.

For me what eventually won out is the total lack of fees with Wealthsimple, and the fact that their offerings have gradually gotten better over time while Questrade has been mostly status quo. My intention for retirement is to gradually sell off stocks as I need to, when dividend income isn't keeping up with my needs. Even with ETFs, getting dinged with a $5+ fee to sell will add up over time.

Some of Wealthsimple's offerings are tiered depending on how much you hold with them. For a basic investor, most of the perks may be insignificant. In my case the higher interest on cash accounts and the free access to the premium tax program are all I am benefitting from. But their cash account interest rate for me is 4.5% right now (because of interest rates being high, this will eventually change). It has basically replaced my bank for now as they pay me nada.

https://help.wealthsimple.com/hc/en-...y-Wealthsimple

As far as usability goes, Questrade is better on desktop versus their apps while Wealthsimple is the opposite. Wealthsimple has been significantly more reliable for me. The amount of website lag and stupid site glitches I've had with Questrade over the years got to the point of being ridiculous. Though I will admit they'd been less troublesome lately.

Questrade does definitely have more to offer overall, but mostly stuff that goes far beyond basic investing. They have margin trading accounts, IPOs, precious metals, GICs, mutual funds. Offer more info on stock analysis, but just on the more common stocks. Apparently better if one holds USD stocks, and for using Norbert's Gambit.

Wealthsimple does occasionally offer transfer bonuses that are dependent on how much you're transferring over. For me it was over $1k. Not sure if they currently have a promo or not.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:16 PM

We let our guy handle the portfolio, and ya, it costs us 2% average.

Since just being retired, now more than ever,
I never wanted to be glued to stock prices.
I have the time to do the things I want to do.

So IMO, it’s just a matter of performance.
Can my portfolio mgr outperform what I could do on my own to balance the 2% fees??

TBark
Old 04-05-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Can my portfolio mgr outperform what I could do on my own to balance the 2% fees??
TBark
hopefully you are well north of 10% return for that fee. If not, it's time to find someone new.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think the quest portfolio option is something I might try. After digging into what I pay for mutual funds compared to the returns, I have to do something.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
I've got some with Questrade - their ETF fund. It has averaged over 8% growth annually since I got into it (26% in 3 years). Fairly simple and you don't get killed on fees. Everything is done online, not sure I've interacted with a real person other than when I forgot to renew my investor portfolio questionnaire.

If you want something completely hands off then it is a good option. If you need constant reassurance from an investment banker or like to be hands on there are better options.

I also have about the same amount with one of the major banks in one of their mutual funds, and have an active investment account, so perhaps spreading it around some is an option to consider.
What level of risk were you at for the 8%? Growth?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post

Are you referring to the Questwealth ETF portfolios?
https://www.questrade.com/questwealt...etf-portfolios

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Are you referring to the Questwealth ETF portfolios?
https://www.questrade.com/questwealt...etf-portfolios

ARG

Yup. Growth portfolio. I have it in a registered account and reinvest the +30% from tax returns on the contributions so when you factor that in with the growth portfolio and that my high risk stuff is elsewhere it is pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG78 View Post
What level of risk were you at for the 8%? Growth?

Yes. Growth.

Aggressive growth does better but with more volatility.

I have enough volatility in my active trading account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk